Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

what would a ballpark cost for 2 be please as I've been told we have to put in a couple of server racks and I don't want the guys unplugging the fans for noise or them running if not needed, delivery would be to 3002

I will PM you as I have more questions about the rack type etc so won't spam everyone.

Ubiquiti gear for the win @jchurch.

I have the 48 port poe switch, usg, cloudkey2+ and a half dozen G3-Flex cams and AC Pro and AC Lite access points. I also just added an "inwall" access point in my observatory in my backyard to enable me to not only have a pass-thru POE point in there, but now it can run the GridConnect Powerboard to turn on/off all the gear in there (yet to be hooked in to Hubitat). These "inwall" units are really good value to patch holes in your wifi coverage.

I'm about to "renovate" my 42RU rack at home as the tangle of wires is burning a hole in my brain.
Only reason it's not already done is that I have had more pressing projects, but the box of patch cables and gadgets is waiting patiently - I like your idea for the thermo sensor - my rack has a very noisy set of fans at the top that I generally leave off because of the noise, but that would work nicely.

1 Like

Wow, Even KMart are on the Smart Cartโ€ฆ!

1 Like

I actually went with 2 x UniFi In-wall AC Wave2 Access Point (UAP-IW-HD) for total house coverage. Also I needed extra ports in the zones where they are installed so it was win win including the added bonus of the pass thru POE.

Thanks. Agreed those fans definitely don't need to be on 24/7 so once I have moved in I will automate that 100%.

Hi All, I want to install an electric gate lock to our new gate that was installed yesterday. Has anyone here done something like this before and can recommend a product? Obviously needs to be weatherproof. I was looking at something like this. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000035639103.html

They all are. Most of them use a wifi platform that doesn't integrate with HE natively though. So just bear that in mind before any random buying. TP-Link's wifi plugs have some good local integration through a community driver, but the rest of them tend to need custom firmware loaded to be able to control them locally.

I've been testing a Smartthings Multipurpose sensor since I got my Hubitat almost a month ago. It has an accelerometer so I put it on my garage door to send me notifications when it opens and closes. It was going well until today where it the status stayed open when the garage door is physically closed. I'll try and use it like a regular contact sensor with the magnet and see how I go. I was about to buy a bunch of these for my other doors but I guess I'll give it a few more weeks to see if it's reliable enough.

they are super reliable, I have 6 of them and they dont miss a beat.
Every now and then one gets stuck, but if I open and close that door it goes back to normal.
I would start reviewing you zigbee mesh / other zigbee devices via the routing table.

1 Like

if you are looking for a cheaper alternative you can use a sonoff RF bridge flashed with tasmota and these rf contact sensors as they give different signals for open and close.
It is real easy to flash the bridge as there isn't a need to solder anything.

Those are really good prices for the sensors. I think I'll give the smartthings a couple more weeks. I'll see how things go after I move the hubitat somewhere near the center of the house.

Mate check out HubDuino. @ogiewon has a garage door sketch that will allow you to open and close your door including monitoring its status using a reed switch. Also it will cost you stuff all.

Here's the details on the one I built including links to items etc. You can remove the motion and temp/humidity sensors though.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, that looks really cool. Those are the kind of things that I would like to do but we just moved into a new build and there is just so much stuff to do. I'm about to finish painting the fence tomorrow and then it's on to soil prep prior to laying the turf. My plan for the short term is to get the Hubitat up and running with a few sensors before I start tinkering with stuff like that

1 Like

No worries mate. Also don't worry I completely understand where your at as I get the keys to our new house build this week so we have been fencing, turfing, garden beds and a million other things too.

1 Like

Just installed your BOM driver, man.
Good stuff. Thanks

1 Like

Does anyone else use PowerPal https://www.powerpal.net/ ? I really like it, responsive and seems accurate and the bluetooth goes from the front of the house, through two brick walls and has a 50% strength signal at the tablet mounted on the wall,

Anyway, managed to get it so I could launch from a link button on the dashboard and then use the back button of the tablet to return to the dashboard (URI, discovered it by adding as an app to fullkiosk and then editing to see the link) but it would be great if the data could be used in HE in some way, although I very much doubt it.

Looks like they've got a restful api

https://www.powerpal.net/partners/api-documentation

As long as you've got an android device grabbing the data regularly you could hook an app/driver into it.

1 Like

Thanks, I will have to look at that some more :slight_smile:

has anyone tried the darkysky one vs this BOM one ?

Iโ€™ve got them both loaded up for comparison. I just havenโ€™t been bothered to do the comparison.
Iโ€™ve had DarkSky working for several months and I like the easy 3 day forecast view @Matthew delivered :+1:t3::blush: