Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

Anyone have any suggestions for a humidifier? Would obviously like one that works well, bit also from an automation perspective would like one I can turn on and off automatically, either by direct control of the device or having the ability to use a smart outlet.

Thanks,
Simon

Does anyone here have the Nue Zigbee Dimmer Switch installed and running in their home? I'm interested in your opinions about it.

Anyone had a Nue ZigBee light switch play up/stop working?

For the past 5 days (or so) I haven't been able to turn any of the 4 switches on my 4-gang switch on (Kitchen/Lounge/Dining/Hallway). The faceplate is starting to come off, and one of the switches occasionally makes a ticking noise as something is trying to turn on repetitively. I have called emailed Kevin (??), but waiting for him to get back to me.

Yeah. Quite a few. Kevin won't answer beyond saying it's outside of 1 year warranty. Poor quality products. I would avoid them. I used to recommend, now not so much.

What would you suggest as a replacement?

I'd be pointing him to our Consumer laws which trump "warranties" and threatening him with a trip to small claims court or an ACCC complaint!

This is covered by the "product is not of acceptable quality" and consumers are entitled to remedies such as a refund, replacement or repair, at no cost to us.

A product or good has a major problem when:

* it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it

Your rights under the consumer guarantees do not have a specific expiry date and can apply even after any you’ve got from a business have expired.

2 Likes

Timely comment for me. I was starting to look at the Nue range. I'll stop and look elsewhere instead :face_with_monocle:

Anyone using these (Oz Smart Things ZigBee Quad switch)?
Or their 1, 2, or 3 gang switches? Am losing confidence with NUE, and Keving hasn't returned my calls, so happy to take my business elsewhere.

Yeh I mentioned them above.

Ordered them. Received them. Have yet to install. Will do this weekend though

I've owned their Rf versions and have not had any problems apart from they are Rf (I used esp based devices to return the state).

One bonus is that neutral is optional so older houses are fine with them.

I have just tested the Makegood 1 and 4 gang switches as well as the dimmer switch from Oz Smart Things. I’m contemplating returning them.

The issue I’ve got with the switches is that when the switches are turned on, the light bulb flickers for about 15 seconds before stabilising. However, one time the light never stopped flickering, so I’ve got very little confidence with them.

The issue I’ve got with the dimmer switch is that whatever dimmer level it is set to, it always turns on at 100% to then, over a couple of seconds, dim down to the set level. It doesn’t matter if the switch is turned on physically or digitally.

I have raised these issues with Oz Smart Things and they arranged for a WhatsApp meeting with the supplier (some Chinese dude that wasn’t very polite). They reckon that my issue with the dimmer switch is by design. I also had other issues with the dimmer switch to begin with but as soon as they provided me with the correct user manual, I got those issues sorted.

I never managed to get a response to the flickering lights issue with the switches though. I bought 3 light switches and they all exhibit the same issue. They got me to take a photo of the PCB but I haven’t heard anything further since. I’ll see if I can get a response from them tomorrow now that they have had some time to think about it.

I have tried these both with and without the neutral wire using both an incandescent 60W bulb and an 8.5W dimmable LED bulb.

@peterbrown77.pb I would be interested in knowing if you have the same issue with your newly bought light switches as well once you have installed them.

1 Like

@mattias I'll let you know. My Rf version of their dimmer wasn't installed for very long. I could dim and it worked ok. But occasionally it flickered at certain times when they levels were lower, and the full brightness as default when turning on got it replaced with a fibaro dimmer as that was a deal breaker for their dimmer. So yes same experience for the dimmer. I assume the Rf versions are likely the same switching and dimming components as the zigbee ones.

Didn't have any issues with the switch only devices and I had like 12x of them. They are being phased out but that's because of the lack of native feedback. These zigbee ones were meant to start replacing what's left of the Rf versions.

There are also some oddities with the Makegood labels on the light switches. Both the 1-gang and the 4-gang light switches have the same label on the back of them, complete with the same model number. I don't know if this is a mistake in their labelling process of their products or if this is an attempt to bypass certification of all their products (just certify one switch model and then use the same model number for all the different switch types so they don't have to send them all away for certification).

Anyway, I was looking at testing the Nue line instead, but I have abondoned those plans from the feedback I've seen in the forum. I'm now holding out for the Mercator Ikuu range instead

Well that is dissapointing. I might have to put the old dumb switch back in - no lights in the kitchen is troublesome to say the least.

Have you contacted them? Do you know when they are meant to be available?

It's a bit tricky for me being in NZ as they are only launching the range in Australia. However, I've got a couple of wholesalers here, who already carry other Mercator products, checking with Mercator to see if they can get hold of them. One of them came back to me yesterday saying they are not yet available but they are seeking further information as to when they will be available.

Long story short :wink: - No, I don't know when they will be available

Thanks, I might reach out to them directly

I have reached out to The Lighting Superstore who are stockist of the Mercator products. They confirmed with Mercator that items are in stock and available for order, with a delay of 5-7 business days for store pickup or two weeks for home delivery.

I am thinking of buying 3 different types of bulbs and a quad switch to test with the hub. They are not as cheap as the above-mentioned brands, so hopefully, they will be of better quality.

Although the switches are not listed on the superstore site, they can get them.

2 Likes

Did you get any pricing from them on the light switches for guidance?

The RRP on the Quad switch is $90.

I just placed an order, but then will be away for a week, so won't be able to test them out until after the May day holiday. I will report back once I have done so.

1 Like