Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

That sounds interesting. How would that work? What would I connect the 24v thermostat into? And I guess I would need to convert the current 240v line to 24v to power the 24v thermostat as well?

This is actually what I do now and it's been working fairly well in terms of automation. The hydronic system plugs into a power plug so I just have a zigbee smart plug at the wall and then a virtual thermostat in hubitat connected to my temperature sensors across the house to turn the power on/off. It does leave me with a non-usable thermostat in the wall though (and its super old) so I would still prefer to replace it with a working thermostat that can also control things.

I have one of the Telstra outlets set as a Generic Zigbee Outlet and I have the "Enable automatic power reporting" set to 60W to monitor the waashing machine. I am finding that the device is reporting any change in power resulting over a 1000 events for the wash cycle. This then causes other rules I have setup to be also run thousands of times.

Is this a known bug and is there any fix?

dev:152021-03-22 18:54:25.124 infoPlug1 power is 3W
dev:152021-03-22 18:54:23.134 infoPlug1 power is 8W
dev:152021-03-22 18:54:05.107 infoPlug1 power is 14W
dev:152021-03-22 18:54:04.120 infoPlug1 power is 26W
dev:152021-03-22 18:54:02.125 infoPlug1 power is 4W
dev:152021-03-22 18:53:53.125 infoPlug1 power is 15W

You hit Configure and Save Prefs after making that change in the device driver ?
Iā€™m not paying attention to power monitoring on mine but the way I understood it, is that it should only report when it gets 60watts.
Set it to 500watts and see how often it reports.

Edit: just checked one of mine and yes it reports the power value every minute.

G'day all, I finally found some dimmable LED globes via Amazon (the stores here all want to flog you "smart" dimmable globes) to use in our bedside lamps.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07TKZFCBV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I whipped up a Compact case design that allows you to install them in-line on a 2-wire lamp cord.

And they work great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I admire your ingenuity but if saving money was your goal, isn't there a plethora of cheap smart bulb options out there that would be half the price of a Shelly/bulb combo? I have the Shelly dimmer on our deck downlights (4 off) and the advantage was being able to control the lights through a button in our standard wall plate for WAF. Financially, even with 4 standard downlights vs smart lights, it was line ball.

I had Phillips hue globes previously, However I wanted a system Hubitat can control natively that supports device level power recovery.

Most smart globes are crap and now future globe replacements are only $9 each, and they look amazing too.

What are the options for garage door control in Australia?
I have an RF-controlled Homentry unit, without a wired wall switch, so can't use the normal Z-wave relays.
My garage door guy said that most units are RF-only these days.
Broadlink doesn't support the rolling codes, so is it Bond or nothing? I'd prefer not to use RF as the single button operates up/stop/down.

I'm using a $5 sonoff relay running tasmota that just bridges the terminals on the back of the motor. Runs off a 5v adapter plugged into the same power point as the garage door motor.

3 Likes

I use a Shelly 1 on my garage door openers. The best part was that the garage door opener has a 35v DC power output/terminal, so I used that to power the Shelly rather than having to get another power supply.

2 Likes

Unfortunately not @zukand my day job has been keeping me fairly busy and I haven't personally needed the capability yet so I haven't gotten around to it. I am sure I will address it at some point, just can't commit to a time frame at the moment.

What motor do you have? Do you get position control (open/close) or does the relay just simulate button presses?

Awesome! What motor do you use?

Just simulates a button press then i use a smart things multi-purpose sensor to monitor if it's opened or closed. It's a fairly basic B&D motor.

1 Like

These are on sale now for $18 each. Including the humidity sensor as well bargain. Harvey Norman Mornington have stock not sure about others

1 Like

Used Aqara Plugs, and SmartThings (ST) Plugs as repeaters across the house in the past. I have stopped using the Aqara Plugs and ST Plugs as repeaters, as they seems causing Zigbee mesh issue over time.
Just added several Ikea TRADFRI Signal Repeaters and Ikea TRADFRI Plugs, which I have found in many discussion threads as the most stable Zigbee repeater.

Note: AU Z-Wave devices with limited supply/demand are way over priced comparing to EU/US Z-Wave devices.

1 Like

Anyone had their sunset automations go screwy today? I just had a lamp turn on as if it were still on daylight saving even though the HE clock is showing the right time.

Nah, mine seem ok from NSW.

Good this year, last year it went nuts but i've also just updated to the latest firmware.

Thanks all - guess it's related to the slightly older f/w (2.2.5) I was running. Now updated to 2.2.6 so we'll see when DST comes around in 6 months!

1 Like

Hey quick q. How did you set this up ? Do you connect to the small USB device or direct to the blind controller itself ?

I added the controller itself and it appears. Changed to Nue ZigBee dimmer but can't get it to work. I have many other ZigBee devices working.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.