Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

I have this early attempt that is at least a better version that what you tried before....

But I'm still working on the full re-write including using Async http to keep the hub CPU cycles down due the regular polling with a blocking http request. Its coming along well, but not finished.

The above beta driver is pretty good though, and you might be happy with that - and I'd be interested in your feedback.

I've had brief looking and it looks like a big improvement. iZone bridge discovery and auto-creating the child zones is very nice. I'll install it on the weekend and see how I go.

If you are interested I (tried) to write my "unified thermostat" drivers that cater for the Mitsubishi WiFi adaptors to allow for expansion into other platforms outside of Mitsubishi's. You could try and incorporate the relevant api calls into these drivers, but I can also understand the benefit / enjoyment out of developing something from scratch. Let me know if you want to take a look, even just as another thermostat example.

Simon

Do share? Where is this??

The drivers are contained in this folder in my Hubitat repository:

I have always intended to capture the design and how it could cater for expansion to other Thermostats, but hopefully you may get the gist of what I am trying to do....

Here are some notes on how I have setup my Zone Control dashboard @gslender. I still have some more notes to take, actually on the part we were talking about earlier in the thread. I'll try and cover that part next in the post linked below.

Pretty general question....

A mate of mine is wanting to dip his toe into home automation. He has installed some dumb downlights and is looking at options for smart switches to replace / enhance his light switches, trying to keep oprions open for Hubitat or other hubs. Any suggestions?

Simon

Mercator Ikuu? https://www.ikuu.com.au

2 Likes

@cometfish - Did you ever look at downloading the BOM's radar images? I have been able to get some displaying on a dashboard using a locally hosted html file (on the HE hub) and manually uploaded images from BOM, again stored on the HE hub. All I expect I will need to do now is look at getting these images on the hub automatically, so was thinking it would be good to have it included in the drivers you wrote. What do you think?

You can set up an image tile with URLs like this (for Sydney) http://www.bom.gov.au/radar/IDR714.gif (64km). Unfortunately these are not looped and the update rate is 6 minutes (I think - or could be longer)

2 Likes

Nice. I was after the same effect of the scrolling images on the app / site, which I was able to do with a bit of JS in a HTML file on the hub. I'd show it, but you wouldn't get the effect with a still image :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I'm slowly going to move over to shelley devices i think from my NUE switches. Good price point and the couple i have are really reliable so far.

2 Likes

Thanks, I'll pass that name on as well.

Is it right that the NUE one's are a bit of a fail, saw some iffy reports of the glass faces dropping off and other poor quality issues...

Yeah i've had a couple of faceplates fall off and smash and to be honest the terminals on the back arn't the best.

I've got one sitting in a draw that I bought by mistake, didn't have enough power to run my heat lamps in the bathroom. Might leave it in the draw....

Here's an example of what I was talking about last night with the radar images:

Keep the dumb switches and install Aeotec Nanos behind them. I know there are a few people who grumble about them but mine have been rock solid for nearly two years.

2 Likes

That's what I had in mind as well, Mercator have some which was what I was going to suggest my mate looks at.

No, I use the still image radar that @rocketwiz just mentioned, from @steveff :

Feel free to add an animated version to the driver if you want :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for crediting @steveff ! Apologies, I'd totally forgotten where the idea came from!

1 Like