Hubitat C7 not accessible except through Diagnostic Tool

Your IP seems wrong ..
Down load this .. https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com
And run it on the computer ... and post your pic from this :slight_smile:
It will show all ips on your network Like this pic .. Mine is on IP 126

1 Like

Your hub cannot connect to the internet. You need to fix that first. It has a self-assigned IP right now. That won't allow you to download anything.

If you cannot take the hub, plug it directly into your router and get an IP address, then you either have a defecitve hub, or you have a problem with your router.

Since you said you were previously able to connect to the hub, my money is on a network issue, not a hub issue. Please keep in mind that the hub does not support PoE, so if you've plugged it into a switch that has PoE, you may have fried the network interface in the hub.

2 Likes

As noted, any time you see an IP address starting w/169 you don't have a good IP address, and things are just not going to work.

When you used the network reset button recently, you did that while your hub was connected directly to the router (bypass the switch)? If not, try that again.

I dont have a router in the system. I am connected over wifi to a Starlink network.

I have this switch - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FNFSPY?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

OK, sorry, you probably said that above and I haven't been paying enough attention in class.

But to confirm, you did the network reset w/the hub directly connected to the switch?

1 Like

If you're trying to get an IP from your laptop to the hub without bridging the WiFi card to the network interface in the laptop, it's not going to happen. Your laptop doesn't assign IP addresses, it gets them from the router. When you bridged the connection, the WiFi card was getting an IP and then bridging that dynamic connection to the NIC in your laptop.

Not sure why you're trying to set things up this way. Think we need more detail on your modem/router setup to help. If your ISP modem/router has an built-in ethernet port, then connect the hub to that. If you are in a sitution where you are using internat supplied by someone else and you only have WiFi access, then you can setup the bridging on you laptop temporarily so you can enable the WiFi connection built into your hub (assuming this is a C-8 or later hub). If it's not a C-8 or later hub (e.g. It's a C-5 or C-7 hub) you will need to buy a compatible WiFi adapter for it).

Do you even have a router ? Like this pic shows ?

1 Like

Sorry, just noted the title of the thread :man_facepalming:

OK, since this is a C-7 hub, it doesn't have built-in WiFi. You will need an OTG cable and this adapter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088TKTY2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can just connect the Hubitat hub to a network switch that is getting IP addresses assigned via DHCP, then just do that. But if it's for whatever reason impossible due to the setup you have, then here's the original post from the developer that wrote the code for adding WiFi to the C-5 and C-7 hubs.

If you want to have a full network set up just buy a compatible router, and then go into your Starlink app, settings, and then bypass router. Then just plug in your ethernet adapter, and then an ethernet cable from your adapter to your router. Then, of course you can just plug-in all the devices you want.

See here :

1 Like

You do have a router, that's how you're getting IP addresses assigned via WiFi. But the picture is getting clearer now. Sounds like you don't have a router that has a built-in network switch like @WarlockWeary posted above.

There are a few ways you can go about this. Bridging the connection in a laptop is the most unreliable way and I don't recommend that.

Pick one of these options (only one)

1. Buy the required USB network adapter and OTG cable as posted above.

2. Buy a router like @WarlockWeary posted above and plug that directly into the ethernet connection from Starlink if that's possible for your setup.

3. Buy a router that supports client bridge mode. With those type of routers, you can connect the router wirelesslly to the host (Starlink) and it then bridges that connection to its own internal WiFi and Ethernet. Client devices then either connect via Ethernet (your Hubitat hub) and/or WiFi (your phones, tablets, laptops, etc). You would then stop using the Starlink WiFi connection for your other devices and dedicate it exclusivley to passing an internet connection to the router.

First of all, it isnt a laptop. It is a PC that I built many years ago.

Second, using a USB Wifi adapter you are not typically supposed to bridge that adapter to the network card (although you can). It will cause disruptions in network connectivity.

Third, I do not have a router. I do not have a managed switch. I have a2 network cards and a USB adapter that connects wifi from Starlink.

The only way I ever got the whole setup to work was to bridge the wifi adapter and the network card but as previously mentioned, this causes connectivity issues rather quickly.

I will post online once I figure the fix... Thanks for attempting to help....

I am walking away for the night!

Browse to:

http://169.254.9.132/

In other words, drop the :8081 part, tell us what you see.

3 Likes

OK, I was walking away but I went back to the setup that worked before and bridged my USB wifi dongle and my ethernet card that my switch is on. Everything is now working and I am going to set up a fixed IP address.

Whatever. It's a computer. The semantics of that don't matter.

PCs suck. You can do this on a Mac without issue, but my experience shows that at some point something is going to cause that not to work consistently, PC or Mac.

You don't understand what a router is. If you didn't have a WiFi router (which is what you're telling me you have even though you don't understand that's what you have), then you would be able to connect exatly 1 WiFi client to it, but you can connect multiple. That's what a router does. It allows multiple wired or wireless devices to connect and assigns a network address to each. An unmanged switch is what you posted a picture of above. A managed switch is completely different than both a router and an unmanaged switch, but getting into the specifics of that is not important here.

Yes, you were doing exactly what I described above, but you don't seem to understand. It's OK not to understand something, and asking questions to learn is the path to enlightenment.

Good idea. Fresh eyes is an extremly valuable tool.

@SmartHomePrimer thanks for the tips....

I got it resolved....

1 Like

Of course, I have the Starlink router but that is providing a wifi network I am connecting to via my USB adapter. I have the Starlink ethernet adapter but chose to abandon it as I wanted to keep my backup network (AT&T hotspot through a TPlink AC-4000) online so I am just using the Starlink router through wifi.

In any event, I got it resolved by doing the following -

Bridge the Wifi card and the network card. Access to the hub was regained and the hub forced to a network address in the 192 network range

Log into Hubitat settings and set the hub to a fixed IP address to lock the IP so the Starlink router will not change it. (Still not sure why that router working through wifi would have any affect on my NIC card)

Remove the bridge from wifi card to the network card.

Set network card to same IP range as hub.

Everything works... via online portal and also locally!

1 Like

Thank you for all the assistance... it is great to get a little poke and prod in the right direction. I also got to play with some tools that I forgot even existed! It has been a long time since I needed IP-Scanner...

1 Like

By the way, I realize that the Starlink router is in my system but it is a wifi connection and has no effect (that I am aware of) on physical wired ethernet cards.

If you know different then please explain. Sorry you got upset but as any knowledgable engineer will tell you, "terminology is important".

Thanks for the assist...

I wasn't. Sorry if I came across that way.

I've no clue about Starlink. I shut down my IT support business before it became available. I'm in an area with good cable and fiber access available, so I personally have a reason to pay more for something like Starlink. I took a look online, but saw several different configuraitons for Starlink, so I've no clue exactly what you have on site. If your Starlink WiFi access point also has a single ethernet port on it, then I would guess it only supports DHCP for a single client device via ethernet, similar to cable modems that have just one ethernet port. Whereas WiFi of course supports DHCP addresses for multiple client devices. But I'm just guessing based on experience, since I don't know exactly which equipment you have at your house.

Glad you've got it working now.

1 Like