Hubitat C7 not accessible except through Diagnostic Tool

Greetings,

I am having serious difficulty accessing my hub after completing the setup. I would love to include some screen captures here but evidently, they are not allowed....

I have a fairly simple network but I think the issue is with the fact that I access the internet over wifi and I have the hub connected to a separate LAN card on my PC. When originally configuring this I was able to bridge my usb Wifi adapter and my ethernet card and set everything up but the next morning I lost wifi and realized that bridging the two devices was the cause. I deleted the bridge and now while I can see the hub and locally log in I cannot connect to any services.

The only way I can log in is by finding the IP address using the hub MAC (using arp -a at the command prompt) and then connecting directly to the hub as shown in the following -

If I try to go through the [my.hubitat] web page I see the following after signing in -

Note that the IP address is different from the one found during the ARP -a search. Not only is it different but it is on a whole other network segment. While I realize this is because it was mapped with DHCP when the network bridge connecting my USB wifi with the physical ethernet card, it seems it should be a simple fix. The only issue is, I can't seem to identify that fix.

As it stands now, if I click on the "connect to hub" button through [my.hubitat] I get a failed connection as shown below -

I would appreciate any help you may be able to provide. This is my 3rd attempt and I keep getting caught in the same trap. I suspect trying to set the network card to the same IP range might work but need a little nudge to get it right.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Try a soft reset

1 Like

Join the owner's group (Hubitat) and you'll be able to post those.

2 Likes

I tried that... no resolution... It does the reset but keeps the same IP and is still inaccessible.

Did you Join the Owner's Group?

1 Like

My apologies to all... I was logged onto the site but had not joined the owner's group. Pictures loaded above.

1 Like

No worries, two different issues one minor, one a little more problematic.

Might want to blank out the hubId though.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!!!! I reposted in the original post.

1 Like

Looking at the diagnostics page your hub isn't getting an IP address from DHCP, try turning it over and pressing the network reset button for about 7-10 seconds.

Hub_DHCP_reset_button

Hub should reboot if successful.

1 Like

Hub reset as per instructions but the IP is the same and the symptoms are the same.

Ran arp again and IP is still the same for the hub... only way to access it is through the Diagnostic tool

Did the hub reboot? If it did, we may need to reboot the router and retry the network reset; if it didn't try forcing a reboot from the diagnostics menu again.

1 Like

try rebooting your router.. the hub is not getting a correct ip address. the 169.x.x.x is the default ip address a device gets set to while negotiating a real address via dhcp..

How to Fix a 169 IP Address Error.

1 Like

It is a brand-new unmanaged switch. I have been at this for days and have tried the Reboot, soft reset, and the full reset from the Diagnostic tool. Neither resolved the issue.

I am always able to ping and always able to see it through asp and always able to connect with the diagnostic tool... just nothing more...

Could be that I have two network cards and a USB Wifi card. I had it all working when I bridged the network card it is connected to with the WIFI.... but that eventually brought down my wife and I learned it wasn't a viable solution. I have since deleted the network bridge and turned on internet sharing on the USB wifi adapter.

Oh, one more note, nothing is connected to either of my network cards with the exception of the unmanaged switch and the hub.... The second network card has nothing connected to it.

if you cannot get it to negotiate dhcp correctly (sounds like what is going on due to your weird switch setup) set it to a valid static ip/

If you go the static IP route make sure:

1. the hub IP is in the same subnet as the laptop
  2. you manually set a DNS server IP (even if it already shows one)

I would love too but I cannot do that from the diagnostic tool... I need to be in the full hub menu...

MAybe I will recreate the bridge that worked yesterday and then lock the IP down in the hub... might work. It is worth a try!

of disconnect the hub from where it is.. temporarilly plug into the router directly.. so it gets an address. and then set that address in it staticly and move back to your location.

1 Like

Could also try:

http://<hubIP>/hub/advanced/switchToStaticIp?address=<newIP>&gateway=<routerIP>&nameserver=<DNSserverIP>