HubDuino - Arduino / ESP8266 custom integration is working!

@patrick, @bamarayne, and @bravenel,

First - Just wanted to say "Wow!" I was totally shocked when I found Hubitat today. At first I was thinking... OK, another HA hub. Then I started recognizing some amazing ST developers that I always respected over the years. Once I realized this, I placed my order immediately for my Hubitat Elevation. Looking forward to local control, finally!

So, my next question is whether or not I will be able to easily migrate my Arduino custom devices from ST to Hubitat? I realize that the old ThingShield will most likely never be supported, and I am fine with that. I have added LAN connectivity to my ST_Anything Arduino library that runs on Arduino UNO, Arduino MEGA, Arduino MKR1000, ESP8266, and EPS32 microcontrollers. I would love to add the ability to integrate Arduino's with Hubitat.

Thoughts? I see LAN connectivity is an option. I am hoping for a fairly simple integration method that resembles the old ThingShield's passing of strings in bidirectionally (i.e. simple name/value pairs.)

And once again, "Wow!" I am very excited about this new platform and very much appreciate everyone who has worked hard to make this happen! Congratulations! Looking forward to getting my hands on the hub!

Dan

6 Likes

Hi Dan,

Good to hear from you! I think there’s a decent chance the ThingShield might actually pair up, although I have not tried it. It’s pretty vanilla Zigbee IIRC. Otherwise, LAN is straight forward, and we also support Telnet.

Bruce

3 Likes

Bruce,

Sounds good! Fun times ahead.

Are there any developer docs available yet?

Dan

2 Likes

Hey Dan,
Interfacing with my arduino “security system” and an esp8266 open/close sensor were some of the first things I had working on Hubitat. You’ll find that you will be able to connect your arduino up with minimal changes. I believe you are still using the arduino/esp8266 LAN code that I developed, so you should be good to go.

Chuck

3 Likes

Chuck,

You’re my hero! The biggest change I have made over the past year or so, is to use the new ST Composite Device Handler. Any chance something similar is supported already in Hubitat?

Thanks,

Dan

2 Likes

We do not support a model like that currently. You would have to create an App to handle the interaction between the device and any “child” devices.

1 Like

All,

With a little help from @chuck.schwer and @bravenel, I now have a working HubDuino (Hubitat + Arduino) using my ST_Anything Arduino libraries. This is using LAN connectivity, as I have not tried the old ThingShield at this time.

I currently have an ESP8266 with one “Switch” device capability, fully working and communicating through all local LAN connectivity. No cloud involved! I even have it mapped over to a virtual device in SmartThings using @krlaframboise 's SmartApp, Device Handlers, and Hubitat synch App. I am amazed at how smoothly everything is working!

I need to do some more work before I release anything, but it should be too long.

Dan

2 Likes

Dan, please keep me posted on your progress of the ThingShield, believe last time you and I PM'ed about it you have several still working in ST too. As you may remember I co-authored the AD2SmartThings integration with Stan and eventually I will need to figure out a way to get that working in Hubitat. Though with Kevin's amazing hub sync app that can definitely wait! I realize I could buy a LAN shield but prefer not to touch that device if at all possible other than changing the device driver to process the events.

1 Like

You’ll be happy to know that I have already gotten the old ThingShield up and running on Hubitat with the amazing help of @chuck.schwer and @bravenel. The “ThingShield” functions we wrote for sending and parsing messages may even be added to the native Hubitat API in the future, thereby simplifying the process for end-users.

I will be writing up some documentation and publishing the code soon for users. Stay tuned for more information in the coming days!

4 Likes

You are amazing! Thank you all for your efforts. Just need more time over the weekend to tackle more than 7 of 125 devices!

1 Like

First release of HubDuino can be found here

https://community.hubitat.com/t/beta-hubduino-v1-0-hubitat-to-arduino-esp8266-esp32-integration-st-anything/399?u=ogiewon&source_topic_id=122
1 Like

Circling back to this thread to announce that the AD2SmartThings project has been successfully ported over to Hubitat. It was actually much easier than I thought. The only thing I had to do on the Arduino was pair it with Hubitat and restart it. I had to make a few minor adjustments to the Driver and App to make it work with Hubitat. @ogiewon's great examples in his GitHub made that very easy.

I don't plan on publishing a release like Stan and I did so please PM me if you want the code. With the ThingShield discontinued that project died but there are a few of us like @CAL.hub and @rgreenpc who are moving over here that still use this integration so I am happy to help support those that still use it. I don't plan on porting it over to Ethernet or Wifi as I have a spare working ThingShield in the event my primary decides to fail.

3 Likes

I actually ported @rgreenpc ‘s Arduino code a few days ago for him. It’s an older version, so may not be for everyone, but does demonstrate the code changes that are required.

Hubitat/home-alarm-device-type.groovy at master ¡ ogiewon/Hubitat ¡ GitHub

1 Like

For those who wonder if it can be used with a Linknode R4. It can ! I just made a 4ch relay with to button fully working with hubitat.

My heat exchanger board died(350$) and was discontinued.
With this 12 $ board it's now smart, and the switches in the bathrooms still works !

The code needs a bit of modification but I know next to nothing and it works beautifully.
If anywone is interested in having the code to save some time just ask

@glabbe0299 if you still have your handy, may I please have a look to see what changes you did to make things work? Thank You

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.