SmartThings Composite Devices

So I decided to take the plunge and ordered my hub yesterday. I’ve been waiting for an alternative to ST for so long and when I saw the group that’s running the show, it was a no brainer. @bravenel it’s great to see you on a forum again.

So to my question…and please keep in mind that I am not really a coder…I am just pretty good at interpreting existing code and bending it to my will.
Is there an equivalent to Composite Devices in Hubitat? I helped create a fan DTH in ST that created child devices for each Fan speed…this allowed each “speed” to be controlled individually by voice or automation rule. I know there are ways to code around this but would prefer to maintain a similar setup (if possible) in Hubitat. Is this possible?
See my ST parent and child DTH’s below.

“KOF-Fan/kof-zigbee-fan-controller.groovy at master · stephack/KOF-Fan · GitHub”

“KOF-Fan/kof-zigbee-fan-controller-fan-speed-child-device.groovy at master · stephack/KOF-Fan · GitHub”

“KOF-Fan/kof-zigbee-fan-controller-light-child-device.groovy at master · stephack/KOF-Fan · GitHub”

Based on feedback from @ogiewon I know they are not currently supported but does anyone have any recommendation to create similar functionality without creating virtual devices for each fan speed?

We currently support this fan and even have an actual FanControl capability! You are still able to use the KOF apps and DTHs if you like though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic news. I look forward to testing it soon. :smile:

And, composite devices is on our list to do fairly soon.

3 Likes

So you're saying that Composite Device Handlers are supported on Hubitat already? A Parent Device (not an App) can create Child Devices? If this is true it is great!

I was told by @chuck.schwer in another thread that Composite DTH's were not yet supported... I just want to make sure there is no confusion. Thanks!

Not yet, but what I have done for now is created a virtual fan device and mapped the speed settings to a rule in RM that will set the real fan device speed based off the virtual fan button presses. While not as elegant as composite devices, it still works perfectly and goes to show that a TON is possible with RM.

1 Like

Hubitat Firmware v1.0.9 adds support for Composite Device Handlers! Thanks Hubitat Team!