HubConnect alternative for ST to Hubitat devices after Sept 30?

Is there any decent alternatives to HubConnect after ST kills Groovy after Sept 30? I'd rather not have to setup an intermediary computer (such as RPi, especially since finding one is nearly impossible at the moment).

See this post from @mavrrick58. You can do it using Node-RED. Which doesn't have to be run on an RPi - although I believe @mavrrick58 has a convenient image to use if you go that route.

1 Like

Thank you. Assuming I can find a RPi for sale, would the effort to setup a PI with Node-Red and creating the logic necessary to mirror my devices be worth it as compared to moving all my ST devices (30) and decommissioning the ST? I'd also lose a few things Hubitat cannot do currently. I guess I'm asking for opinions and experiences from those who have gone through this process already.

Which devices are you using that can't be controlled from Hubitat directly?

1 Like

myQ integration app, which I haven't found an equivalent to in Hubitat. But the ST integration for that uses Groovy, so it also disappears on Sept 30.

There is one here. The developer no longer updates this code, but it does work, at least for now.

I would encourage everyone to think about moving to a local solution for MyQ if possible though.

2 Likes

If you can move them to HE I would do that. I use this method mainly to use Smartthings as a cloud integrator. You can use it to fully integrate a Smartthings environment, but i personally wouldn't do it if i could integrate the devices directly.

To make it work you just need Node-Red on some kind of always on computer. You could use a old computer if you have one.

Or a NAS if it can do VMs or Docker stuff...

1 Like

Newbie question regarding NodeRed: Can it run from Nvidia Shield (Android TV)? It's always running and hardwared network via ethernet. It should be plenty powerful hardware-wise.

I don't think it is technically impossible, but not sure what you would need to do to install it. I don't remember seeing anything in Node-Red's documentation saying how to do that.

The complication is android being the os.

1 Like

Just wanted to point out... while groovy will end on the ST platform on September 30th... they will be start migrating Device Handlers to Edge Drivers in the next couple of weeks. I imagine the integration for those devices that are migrated will stop working at that point through HubConnect. While you can switch it back to a device handler, I believe you might be facing it getting migrated again.

So, again... while the hubconnect smartapp on ST will continue to work until the 30th, the devices probably will not.

2 Likes

Yes, it's far more worth it to get the devices off ST.

4 Likes

I agree. Perhaps I'm delaying the inevitable, but it's painful to make the move. When I consider the age of my devices and the embarrassing number of hours spent getting it working the first time, then I get physically ill at the thought of doing it again. Do I have Post-traumatic SmartThings Syndrome (PTSS)? Samsung should provide counselling services when ex-loyal customers leave their dyfunctional ecosystem.

4 Likes

I know many people use Hub Connect,as do I.
Maybe if we put together a "reward" to @csteele and @srwhite to recode it using Lua or luau whatever it is. I'd know I'd be willing to pitch in, and if we all do, it could become a substantial pot.
Or is it not possible with Lua?

I couldn't accept..

I have no Lua experience and no ST 'new generation' development experience.

Besides... there's a Node-Red solution.

If that weren't enough, I don't have any ST motivation left :smiley:

12 Likes

Our house had a MyQ opener when we move in. I opted to put a tilt sensor on the door and rigged a button to an external relay.

If I were doing it all over, I would consider:
Zooz ZSE43 tilt/shock sensor
Garadget 883LM-DCA (off-the-shelf version of what I rigged)
Zooz Zen51 dry contact relay to connect to the switch above

Not sure if these are all appropriate for your exact system. Probably $70 in materials and a bit of project wiring time. End result is entirely local to HE, though. No API to break.

@Hatallica
[/quote]
If I were doing it all over, I would consider:
Zooz ZSE43 tilt/shock sensor
Garadget 883LM-DCA (off-the-shelf version of what I rigged)
Zooz Zen51 dry contact relay to connect to the switch above
[/quote]

I too have MyQ installed in Smartthings and just got my Hubitat Hub today. So I'm to understand there's no MyQ for Hubitat? Your "If I were doing it all over, I would consider" would work as a work-around? I've had tilt sensors on my doors since day one to help MyQ know if the doors open/close state.

Zen17 can do both the garage door control and a wired connect contact sensors for the door.

I personally have the zooz tilt/shock sensor though to track my door status.

I believe MyQ does have a community based integration. Not sure gow well it works, bit seems to get a fair amount of use.

1 Like

The problem is really that it isn't exactly needed. The Node-Red integration will cover everything that works in Smartthings. You can even use the virtual device drivers from Hubconnect on the HE side if you like. You just have to configure them manually.

Agree on the Z17 being an awesome solution -- I use dumb wired reed sensors with mine (I avoid using battery-powered stuff in my detached garage - very wide temp extremes) - one sensor for full open and one for full closed (though only one or the other is really necessary). Works like a champ.

Note that's not possible with the Zen 16 -- it doesn't permit independent operation of the switch/relay inputs. However, Zooz recently said they're working on a 700-series update to the Zen16 that will -- so it sounds like a 3-relay version of the 2-relay Z17. That will be a nice additional option for folks.

ETA -- meant to replay to Prometheus, not mavrrick specifically