HubConnect alternative for ST to Hubitat devices after Sept 30?

For $20 extra you can get a Linear Go Control and save the time to spend it with family and friends lol

(Or you can get the gd00z-4 model like I have, on eBay and save the money and the time) :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

… and that is I think the biggest obstacle….echoed by many if not all developers..

I don’t know what MQTT integration the new LUA ST might offer but that be partially useful for some devices.

The myQ integration for Hubitat works well enough for me but I don't ask a lot from a garage door opener. I use a Samsung multisensor for the tilt sensor.

1 Like

Just took an inventory and found that I still have 13 physical devices on SmartThings that I never got around to moving over (I've only been using Hubitat for four years, lol). I've been using HubConnect to keep track of them, and also to allow HE to flip a few virtual switches on the SmartThings side to take advantage of its SMS capability to get notified of mail delivery and a few other statuses when I'm out.

I'm not worried about moving the devices over, but I'd still like using ST for sending those few SMS notifications that I don't want to bother setting up another service to handle. I haven't used my IFTTT account for years but was motivated to revisit it and found that their free tier still allows up to 5 applets. So I figured I could use Hubitat's IFTTT integration to trigger an SMS via IFTTT; turned out that the IFTTT SMS action has been 'evolved' into a notification via an IFTTT phone app-- that doesn't appeal to me.

It occurred to me that an IFTTT applet connecting HE and SmartThings might work; however the virtual switches I had created on SmartThings to trigger the SMS's are also being deprecated when Groovy dissapears (as is the groovy-based 'Notify Me When' app that I have been using).

I rarely visit the ST Community but with a bit of searching found a community written Edge virtual device generator; it was a snap to install it on my ST hub (though I would never have figured it out without the supplied directions). Once the Edge-based ST virtual switches were in place it was trivial to use the ST app to set up simple routines (via each device's Routines tab) to generate an appropriate SMS when one of them changed state.

The IFTTT HE->ST applet approach may not be as fast as HE->ST via HubConnect, but it seems to be fast enough.

2 Likes

There are virtual switches you can configure from within the Smartthings app that use the new API. They will be cloud based so then you don't need a hub. The Edge drivers load to the hub so may not be the best if that is all you need. Node-Red can then trigger the switches easily.

1 Like

Good to know. As long as my SmartThings hub keeps working with its local virtual switches I guess I'll kick that can down the road for a while. That will give me time to migrate my physical devices over.

1 Like

I linked the Hubitat MyQ community app a couple posts up. So yes, there is an integration.

But like I and the others have said, having everything local is a lot more reliable than relying on a cloud integration. And it doesn't have to be very expensive ($25 or so) to add something like a Zooz Zen17 or a generic Zigbee relay.

1 Like

Nice! Probably a solid choice for most people.

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but I have an outlier requirement that necessitated the DIY route. My motorcycle has a custom transmitter button, so a switch input for the receiver was needed. Currently, I use Zen16 for this.

2 Likes

@mavrrick58 is right, they are located inside the SmartThings app, under "Menu->Labs->Virtual Switch". A bit obscure to find if you don't know they are there.

One difference however - the "Labs" created virtual switches do not include the "contact" capability, which is something Alexa requires when using the virtual device as an input to a routine.

The Community based Edge virtual device drivers support this capability. So if you're looking to use this virtual switch as an input from ST<->Alexa, you may want to go this route. Or just use your native HE<->Alexa connection.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried this device for the garage dry contactor? I already have the tilt sensor, so this should get me running. At $17, it's in the "ultra-cheap" category.

MHCOZY 1 Channel 5V 12V ZigBee Smart Relay Switch,Adjustable Selflock and Momentary Working Mode,Works with Philips Hue, SmartThings, Alexa, Google Home (ZigBee Hub Required)) - - Amazon.com

For sms solutions, an android phone with tasker and a payg simcard is the win. No 3rd party services.

Smartthings sms alerts was the main reason I bought a smartthings hub. Not long after, they pulled the plug on it.

/ hatred

Yup. It works.

3 Likes

If you can use HE notifications instead of SMS, you don't need a data plan on Android device.

Correct. But Iwant to be able to send texts to neighbours, friends etc, who don't have the hubitat app.

Android solution is seamless.

Costs a tenner every 3 months, I believe.

So that's where they hid them... thanks. For now I'll let the Edge switches handle the task. It was remarkably easy to install them (and create the ST routines I needed to generate SMS's). As I don't use Node Red (I use WebCoRe on HE) the IFTTT approach is good enough for now.

Mine has been humming along for over a year now. You will find it mentioned several times and pictures of my setup in @aaiyar’s thread here:

3 Likes

Thank you gentlemen. I've shied away from adding yet another machine in my automations. I guess I should finally put my Proxmox server to good use and install node red on a VM there...at least I think I can, unless I'm talking gibberish? So much to maintain, so little time

2 Likes

Yea.. that makes since. I run Node-Red on Unraid.

Does anyone have experience using Termux on Android for hosting Node-Red? I'd like to use it on my Nvidia Shield (Android TV). Termux has an Android TV approved app in the Google Play app store, so it's been it's at least qualified for Android TV.

1 Like

Wow, that sounds like a cool project... you might be able to use a docker container?

https://docs.nvidia.com/ai-enterprise/deployment-guide/dg-docker.html

https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/docker

2 Likes