HubConnect alternative for ST to Hubitat devices after Sept 30?

Why not use hubitat's built in notifier or Pushover? You can also use Twilio for sms if you have to have SMS.

1 Like

Those are viable alternatives, but I wanted to keep using SMS (it's more convenient to deal with SMS's rather deal with app notifications when I'm in the car). I still use ST for Harmony integration (yet another thing I haven't yet migrated) so the path of least resistance was to keep using it for SMS. Only real limitation is the paltry 5 applets on free IFTTT which truly is the least I can live with, but I can make do since the price is right.

Twilio's free tier seems pretty generous and is worth keeping in mind just in case ST decides to squeeze more utility out of their product.

1 Like

Okay, one last platform question: Can node-red server run on something like a Netgear EX7300 running OpenWRT? It seems possible from quick Google search, but has anyone from this forum actually tried something like this?

So hate to say this but you should probably check over at the Node-RED forums.. they will likely have more users with that specific kind of experience maybe.

The only issues I have with trying to run NR on various "esoteric" platforms is the general lack of memory / processing power, possible unavailability of certain libraries, and lack of specific available information / patches support due to not many people running it.

I mean if you want to tinker - that's cool, I do that as well - currently running Node-RED as a HomeAssistant addon on an RPI 4 w/ssd (also Mosquitto MQTT server and other fun stuff).

If you want a more stable system for your home automation "base" then I would recommend either a docker container, vm or one of the more popular lightweight machines that can run debian/ubuntu like RPI, oDroid (or any x86 machine as well). NR will also run on Windows boxes but I prefer headless Linux or vm.

1 Like