Hub stop working everyday for few minutes

Thanks for the suggestion. I have spent the weekend checking all the switches. I also power cycle all the one that seem to be problematic. I think I figure out what cause some of the problem.
The problem switch will not update the status. Everything work fine with the switch (dimming, on/off, setting level etc.) but won't update the status unless I press the refresh button. This creates problem for the door contact along with the dashboard operation.
The switch is all from GE/Enbrigthen brand and purchased all at the same time. Some of the switches are next to each other, one will work fine while the other won't update the status.
I already power cycle the switch. As of now, I use the rule machine routine to keep refreshing the status but I don't think that is the way to solve this problem.
Beside replacing the problem switches, is there any other way to fix the status not updated unless hitting refresh problem?

[RELEASE] Z-Wave Universal Device Scanner
You could try using this utility driver of mine (above), turn on debug logging, and press the Set Lifeline Association button. Check the logs and it should have replied back with a message showing it is set to [1]. The symptoms you have are what could happen if that somehow did get set when the device was paired.

You could also try physically tapping the switch a couple of time with that driver on there and see if anything gets logged. If any messages come to the hub it will log them.

Once done you can switch back to the other driver.

Also, can you provide the info from the "Data" at the bottom of the device page for both a working switch and non-working switch? Copy/paste or screenshot works. I want to be sure of what model they are and that they are both the same. There is a site I can look up the numbers in there to find the exact models.

I following the instruction and it fixes one of the z-wave switch. The following is the problem switch.

I also notice the status section is not the same.

The following is the switch that work correctly.

The problem one has an item name syncStatus while the normal one has an item name pushed.
Not sure if that make any different but after applying your driver and switch back to the original one, the problem switch is now working correctly and the dashboard is now updating with correct status.

The fix doesn't work on the dimmer switches. All the dimmer switches are now having problem with not updating the status. Here are some of the information.

The following is the error logs.

I am not sure if it makes a different, I also notice some of the switches on the detail page under status has only 2 items while some has 3.

Some of the switch will not have numberOfButtons under Current States.
They are all the same switches and using the same driver.
As of now, all the dimmer switches will not change status until I hit the refresh button. This problem doesn't affect the motion sensor routine but will affect the door contact routine.

Ok your two switch examples you gave are
0x0063, 0x4952, 0x3135 - Z-Wave JS Config DB Browser
GE / Enbrighten model 46201 / ZW4008

The dimmers are
0x0063, 0x4944, 0x3038 - Z-Wave JS Config DB Browser
GE model 14294 / ZW3005

According to the Compatibility list List of Compatible Devices | Hubitat Documentation

The switch should use driver: GE Z-Wave Smart Switch -OR- Generic Z-Wave Plus Scene Switch
The dimmer should use: Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer

Try switching a few devices to these drivers and then press the "Configure" command. See if that makes a difference. If still not working, get some debug logs again.

@JasonJoel or any other GE/Jasco experts care to chime in? Would there be a custom driver that might work better?

I use my own drivers with all of the GE devices, so can't comment much on the in-box drivers.

I use my "Enbrighten" labelled ones on newer devices (slim fit / S2 capable). I also have ones for older models (z-wave plus and newer, I don't have any for non-plus devices). They are all in HPM.

I think I found the correct one for the Switch: [RELEASE] GE 4xxxx / ZW4008 Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Switch Driver

Is the ZW3005 one that you do not have a driver for? Is that a non-plus device? Was hoping someone who uses these devices might be able to help figure out the above issues.

Most of the 12xxx models (including most ZW3005) are NON-PLUS (although there are some at the end of the production run that ARE Zwave plus just to make it fun).

The ones OP has are 14XXX models though? I am going to check the clusters though as soon as I figure out which one if the ZW+ cluster.

They all have 0x5E COMMAND_CLASS_ZWAVEPLUS_INFO so they should all be plus.

I use (or used to) JasonJoel drivers for these GE/Jasco.

Every single one of my Jasco of this era eventually failed, some quite subtly and others very apparently bad. Some would "stick" on or off, some would sit and rapidly blink the lights. They were often slow to communicate, and played havoc with the mesh at times.

I only have two Jasco left, they are later models and are the "heavy duty commercial" models for my bath fans. They are fan rated and 277V rated. They have worked flawlessly, unlike the other Jasco which seemed to always be somewhat buggy even when new.

With that said, I suspect their switches are bad or going bad. I fixed all my Jasco switches by throwing them away and replacing them with Zooz. I bet the date codes on the OP's switches that aren't working are from 2017, the peak of their failures. Supposedly Jasco will warranty these, but I found it easier to just replace with a better switch with more features.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info and suggestion. I purchase most of the Jasco switches in 2018. They are all z-wave plus switches. In 2023, I replace most of the old Jasco switches with the new Enbrighten switch (slimer version). I didn't know they are that bad since 80% of my switches are from them.
@jtp10181 Thanks for the suggestion on the generic driver. I change all the dimmer switch to the Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer, all of them are now updating correctly except for group lighting.
As for the smart switch, I wonder if GE Z-Wave Smart Switch is the same as GE Enbrigthen Z-wave Smart Switch (which is the one I am currently using). If not, I can't find the GE Z-Wave Smart Switch. I have changed all the switches to Generic Z-Wave Plus Scene Switch.
It seems that if I use the app or physical switch to turn it on and off, it will update status correctly. If I use group lighting then it will not update the status which result in some light will be on and some will be off. By turning off optimization, it does turn on most of the light but the status remains unchanged. Is there another driver I should use especially for the dimmer?
The problem with the motion detect but light not turns on is now different. I notice the motion is active but no command is sent. I check the motion app and everything seem fine. Is there a way to check why the command is not send even motion is detected?

This does not make any sense, because using the "app" (devices tab?) is the same exact thing as having a rule or group trigger the device. Anything on the hub is going to flow through the on/off commands on the device driver.

There are two main things you want to test and make sure is working for the device itself:

• Physical actions on the device get reported and update status on the hub
  • Actions from the device page on the hub are reflected physically and update the status on the hub (test on/off and setting levels for dimmers).

If those two things are working then the device and driver are functioning as expected. If you have any subsequent issue with other apps then we have already ruled out the driver as being the problem.

Turn on logging for the apps/devices and then check the logs.

Is it possible your hub is just bogged down with a bunch of broken apps an integrations you have installed? That's usually the cause of apps partially working or breaking half-way through execution.

Yes they possibly just have that wrong in the compatibility list, probably supposed to be the one you were using already.

Similar problem reported with the ZW3005 dimmer: Finding right driver for GE/Jasco ZW3005 ZW+

Ok I found some more info on this: RESOLVED: Using GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Dimmer driver on different device may cause stuck "Off" status - #24 by JasonJoel

According to that your Switchs, which are 4XXXX model, should use an Enbrighten driver which you were already using GE Enbrigthen Z-wave Smart Switch

The dimmer would use Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer which is already what I suggested above.

For user made drivers which may be worth trying, the one I linked above for the switch is correct: [RELEASE] GE 4xxxx / ZW4008 Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Switch Driver

For The dimmer I found this post: [RELEASE] GE 4xxxx / ZW3010 Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Dimmer Driver - #59 by JasonJoel
Which seems to indicate to use this driver for the ZW3005 dimmer: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Botched1/Hubitat/master/Drivers/GE-Jasco%20Z-Wave%20Plus%20Dimmer/GE-Jasco%20Z-Wave%20Plus%20Dimmer.groovy
@JasonJoel is this correct? None of your driver code indicates which models they are for :frowning:
and I cannot seem to find any posts for the older drivers.

It is also possible that not ALL of your switches and dimmer are the exact same models, so there could be some where a slightly different driver would work better. I am just going off the examples you gave above and I looked up the device IDs in a database.

Thanks for the info and the driver suggestion. With all your help, I am able to solve most of the problems with the hub. I have been testing the switches with different drivers to see which is better.
The only problem I have now is that using the group lighting will not turn on/off all the switches. It is the same problem I have with motion sensor routine. It doesn't matter which driver I use, somehow, it is always the command is sent but the physical switch won't execute the command. Here is the event log of one of the switches which I test it with physical on/off and app on/off. It reports the status and function correctly.

When it is working correctly, after command-on is issued, the next line should be switch which will execute the command and update the status. From the event log, it shows sometime the switch will not response to the command.
Here is another switch event log that act the same way.

This is the setting I used for the group lighting.

With the above setting, when it doesn't turn on/off the first time, I hit the group on/off the button the 2nd or 3rd time and it will eventually turn them all on/off.
Is there anything else I can do?

Enable metering, try it at 300 ms to start with.

Is this a C7 hub or C8?

Do you have an Update Firmware button on the zwave details page?

This is starting to sound like what my old C7 would do with the original zwave firmware.

You could also try setting this up in Room Lighting (or importing it to Room Lighting)

1 Like

I try the 300 ms, it makes a slight different but overall I am still missing light here and there.
I am using the C7 hub and there is no update firmware button.
Does it mean it is time to upgrade to a C8?
I am not sure how to set grouping in Room Lighting. Do I create a virtual switch to activate the light in the room? How do I import it to Room Lighting?

You could try going higher, like 500 ms

Room lighting should have an option in the main app to import groups or scenes.

The virtual device you are looking for is an activator, you can add one to room lighting by typing in an activator name in the box at the bottom and clicking done.

Changing it to 500 ms help to improve the lights on/off. I am able to import the groups to room lighting. I am stuck on how to activate the room lighting function. I notice it create a light group activator device but pushing the on or off button didn't activate the light.

I try the means to activate lights with switch on and select the activator but that doesn't do anything. Is there a step I am missing?
I believe you are correct in something might be stuck in the hub sometime. I notice that with some of the motion sensor routine, even motion is detected, the event log of the light will show no active and will not response. After a few minutes, it will work again.
Does it improve this kind of case if I update to the C8 hub?

For Room Lights, I would need to see up above what you showed, to see what settings you have for each device. From what you did show the activator should turn the lights on. You can also test it with the Activate and Turn Off buttons at the bottom of the RL app.

If the issue is with the radio signal then yes the C8 has external antennas and will make an improvement. I used to have to have occasional issues on my C7 even with metering setup and when I switched to the C8 Z-wave got a lot better. I have never really had issues with Zigbee, but I do not have a lot of zigbee devices.

I figure out what the problem is with the room lighting. The room is in pause mode, after resume, it works great.
I will look into the C8 pro to see if I can improve the overall performance for all the devices. Thanks for all the advice and suggestion. I am able to get the hub to work better base on your help.

1 Like