Hub Protect Replacement Hub

Another question that comes to mind.

Will the local backups be the same? In other words if one doesn't get the protect service will a local backup function the same way? Although for that price, it's worth doing.

One answer you probably didn't see, is that in your particular scenario, you should send an email to support@hubitat.com and we will help you transfer the service from the dead hub to the new one.

2 Likes

The local backup didn't change. It contains the hub's database, so you can restore apps, drivers, settings and custom code.

3 Likes

Peace of mind. You get everything but seamless Z-wave migration. You can schedule cloud backups, restore backups and migrate hubs in the Settings / Backup and Restore section of your hub interface, as well as extended warranty.

If you are like me and rarely save a backup on your local network, the cloud backup might come handy, if your hub dies. Plus you get a free replacement.

3 Likes

With this service, can I place one or both of my "mature" C-4 hubs under hub protect? And if there was a hardware failure with a covered C-4, is the C-4 replaced with the current model Hub (e.g., C-7)?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Unable to Subscribe to Hub Protect

EDIT: Disregard, I was wrong. See posts below.

99.8% sure the answer to that is yes. They don't have enough c4 and c5 hubs around any more to replace in kind.

I have 2 c4 and 1 c5 if you want a like-in-kind spare though. :wink: Will be selling all 3 next week.

Dumb question... but if I am migrating from a C5 hub to a C7 hub and I don't want to pay for the subscription on the old C5 but I do want the subscription on the C7, do I have to have a subscription on both to perform the migration? I currently have 4 hubs and I am not sure that I want to pay $90 per year to cover all of them.

As of today, the service is not transferable (unless for warranty claims). So you would need to purchase a subscription for both, but only keep one recurring, for the C7 going forward. So your first year cost would be $29.99 +$19.99, then $29.99 at renewal time to only have C7 hub covered.

3 Likes

Thanks. I was hoping that since I was decommissioning the old C5 that I wouldn't have to pay for a year. I assume that I need to do the primary subscription ($29.95) on the C7 since the old C5 will be going away.

That's how I would do it, but I'm not sure it really matters.

1 Like

Great question. We will replace the hub with same model as well as offer special upgrade options available only to Hub Protect subscribers.

2 Likes

Sounds good. I think it would be worth a few bucks to get it replaced with the latest. Maybe that option could be called upgrade/replace. I don't have any particular nostalgia for the C-4 (although they have worked well).

2 Likes

Really? You have that many C3, C4, and C5 laying around to replace with same model????

If so, then I was 99.8% wrong in my previous comment. lol

3 Likes

We always had warranty replacements inventory available, even when we were out of stock. You wouldn't want users with a broken hub to be without home automation until hubs were in stock again.

6 Likes

Nice!

2 Likes

I have a C-5 that, for more than a month, is rebooting many times a day. Some days it reboots 3, 4 or even 5 times. I did everything support suggested me to try to isolate the problem, even disabling every app that is known to cause heavy CPU usage and reducing log entries generation - the hub keeps rebooting, some days more, another days less, but aways rebooting by itself.

For me, my hub - that has less than 14 months of use - is defective. Period. If I enroll my hub in Hub Protect, I believe that Hubitat will have a hard time convincing me that it is not defective, so, right away I'd ask for a replacement.

I know that the service is about "failed hubs" - however, is a repeatedly rebooting hub considered a failed one?

I would be glad to return the defective hub back to Hubitat, so they can try to undestand what's going on with it.

Well, an interesting case. First, answer is sure, we'd replace it if you had Hub Protect. But, second thing is, are you sure it isn't rebooting because of something you're doing on the hub? If your replacement did the same thing we wouldn't replace it a second time. Make sense?

The incident rate for spontaneous hub reboots as a failure mode is ZERO.

Have you tried a simple experiment: Make a backup for safe measure. Soft reset the hub. Join a couple of your Zigbee devices. Put an app in that uses them. Does the hub reboot spontaneously? If not, the reason for the reboots is not the hub, it's what is installed on the hub.

1 Like

Sure, it makes sense.

However, I'd be glad if, returning the defective hub to Hubitat, Hubitat's pointing me what's wrong with it.

So, taking into account this information, probably there's something that I'm doing wrong - I mean, some app/driver is causing the constant reboots.

I'm available to allow to Hubitat to access my hub and do anything with it - reset, factory reset, etc, to find what's going on.

This I did.

This has not been suggested before - I can try.

Another thing that I can do is to remove all devices that requires user apps/drivers. I'll do it tomorrow - it's almost midnight here ... :sweat_smile:

I know that a lot of stuff gets put on hubs, and complexity is difficult to pierce to know what is causing what. You suspect the hub hardware. That's very unlikely, although I'd definitely never say never about it. There could be a cold solder joint or something like that.

Don't remove them, just disable them. Only takes a second, and easily reversed.

If disabling them resolves the problem, then slowly and with thought add them back in until you find the culprit.

1 Like