Hub Protect Replacement Hub

If my hub failed and I'm subscribed to the hub protect service how long would it take to get a replacement hub shipped to the UK?
I presume it's going to come from the US and as such could take quite a while to arrive.
This being the case could I restore to a spare hub until the replacement arrives and then swap back to the new replacement hub?

Yes.. You can restore on a spare hub..

2 Likes

Thanks. I presume it's not a problem getting a replacement hub in the UK under the hub protection service, just going to take time due to the distances involved?

I was wondering about the import duties? I suppose in theory there shouldn't be any as it's a replacement?

1 Like

You only pay for shipping, and to UK by DHL is about $30. Takes 3 days. There should not be any duties.

4 Likes

I just set up both my hubs to backup daily to the cloud, I must say that was painless!! The Hubitat team have done an outstanding job with this implementation!

I know I was initially highly critical of the Subscription model, but I'm glad you included a multi-hub discount and $50 Yanky bucks per year is very, very reasonable.

:+1::+1:

5 Likes

Yes, but in that case the existing spare hub would NOT automatically be included in Hub Protect, whereas if you wait for the replacement the Hub Protect would transfer from the old hub to the new hub automatically.

It still might be worth saving the time vs waiting for the replacement hub (it would be for me), but it is something to keep in mind as it will cost you an extra $20 for the extra Hub Protect license (assuming you didn't previously have it on the spare hub).

I wish there were a way to transfer the Hub Protect license to an existing spare hub. Maybe in the future, who knows? Still a 1000x better than no migration at all!

1 Like

But I guess you could transfer from the spare hub to the replacement hub once it arrives and benefit from the transfered hub protect service?

1 Like

Probably could do the last backup from the original failed hub. So as long as you made no changes since the 1st restore - probably would work.

I would never do that. I'd pay the $20. Lol

2 Likes

Only if you enroll the spare hub in Hub Protect. However, the original transfer will still be available.

Still slightly confused here, which is normal.

If I have protect on my current hub. It goes bad. I have a spare hub on the shelf that has never been used.

So will I be able to load that spare hub with the backup from the protect backup from the protected hub?

EDIT: never mind. Reread the posts and answered my own question.

3 Likes

I have no Zwave devices only Zigbee. I have 2 hubs and do regularly backups to my PC on both.

As I understand it Hub Protect does not restore Zigbee devices so what advantage does Hub Protect give me over just restoring the latest backup to another hub in the event of failure? I would still have to re-pair each Zigbee device in either case wouldn't I?

Another question that comes to mind.

Will the local backups be the same? In other words if one doesn't get the protect service will a local backup function the same way? Although for that price, it's worth doing.

One answer you probably didn't see, is that in your particular scenario, you should send an email to support@hubitat.com and we will help you transfer the service from the dead hub to the new one.

2 Likes

The local backup didn't change. It contains the hub's database, so you can restore apps, drivers, settings and custom code.

3 Likes

Peace of mind. You get everything but seamless Z-wave migration. You can schedule cloud backups, restore backups and migrate hubs in the Settings / Backup and Restore section of your hub interface, as well as extended warranty.

If you are like me and rarely save a backup on your local network, the cloud backup might come handy, if your hub dies. Plus you get a free replacement.

3 Likes

With this service, can I place one or both of my "mature" C-4 hubs under hub protect? And if there was a hardware failure with a covered C-4, is the C-4 replaced with the current model Hub (e.g., C-7)?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Unable to Subscribe to Hub Protect

EDIT: Disregard, I was wrong. See posts below.

99.8% sure the answer to that is yes. They don't have enough c4 and c5 hubs around any more to replace in kind.

I have 2 c4 and 1 c5 if you want a like-in-kind spare though. :wink: Will be selling all 3 next week.

Dumb question... but if I am migrating from a C5 hub to a C7 hub and I don't want to pay for the subscription on the old C5 but I do want the subscription on the C7, do I have to have a subscription on both to perform the migration? I currently have 4 hubs and I am not sure that I want to pay $90 per year to cover all of them.