Hub continues to freeze

Got your message. Looks like you had a power outage that may have impacted the database, then your efforts to troubleshoot Z-Wave may have overwhelmed your hub. Every time you reboot the hub there are a lot of events generated. Frequently rebooting in short period of time may overwhelm the hub. I suggest performing a Soft Reset by following instructions in below document. Be sure to save a backup before you proceed so you can restore it during the Soft Reset.

http://docs2.hubitat.com/en/user-interface/advanced-features/soft-reset

5 Likes

So Iโ€™m having the exact same problem. After trying the suggestion in the thread, I decided to completely reset the device to factory in the hopes it was just a corrupted database.

Unfortunately though the problem persists, after factory resetting the unit, it freezes before I can even pair a new device.

Iโ€™ve had this a couple years, does warranty cover replacement or am I out of luck?

Do you have hub protect?

1 Like

How was this done?

1 Like

Soft reset followed by resetting the z-wave and zigbee radios

1 Like

Unfortunately no

The standard warranty is 90 days from the date of purchase.

Please send me a private message, I'd be glad to take a look at your engineering logs to see if we can spot anything that might explain the issue you are having. This doesn't sound like a hardware problem, but I would like to rule that out. Is this a C7 model or older?

2 Likes

Thanks for your offer to assist @bobbyD !

No, itโ€™s one of the older C5 models.

Can you please help me understand where Iโ€™d find the engineering logs and how to export them please?

Send him a PM w/your hub's unique ID, which is found in Settings> Hub Information. Don't post the ID to this thread, you want to keep that between you and Bobby.

Once Bobby has your hub ID he can see your hub engineering logs.

1 Like

You cannot find them we can request them from your hub as long as the hub is connected to the cloud.

1 Like

This worked. Everything is running smoothly now. Thank you for all your help

2 Likes

What was the solution?

For @user1728?

Soft reset followed by database restore.

1 Like

So I took @bobbyDs advice but he was unable to access the engineering logs. The device wasn't connecting to the cloud and because it would lock up / freeze so quickly after hard reboot, I wasn't able to configure cloud connectivity.

So I went ahead and purchased a brand new C7 and set it up as new painstakingly excluding and adding all 70+ devices and here I am with the EXACT same problem.

I've since reached out directly to @bobbyD but he must be OOO as I haven't received a response back.

Wondering is someone else could please help?

I am here. But if you ping me during the weekend and you don't hear from me immediately, I may not set a reminder to come back later. It's ok to remind me to take a look, if you don't hear back from me during the week.

2 Likes

It is extremely unlikely that two completely different hubs (C5/C7) would have the exact same problem, the chances of that are nearly zero.

• Did you use the old power cord and old ethernet cable, or the new one supplied with the C7? If you reused these, it could be the cause of the problems.

• Are you certain you aren't having a networking issue with a router or switch? Are you setting a Static IP in Hubitat (don't do that). How are you determining the hub itself is locking up versus you simply losing connectivity with the hub?

• If all that is good, that would point to one of your devices or one of your automations being problematic. You likely have transferred the problem to the new hub.

4 Likes

*** Did you use the old power cord and old ethernet cable, or the new one supplied with the C7? If you reused these, it could be the cause of the problems.**

Nope - used the brand new power cable and AC adapter

*** Are you certain you aren't having a networking issue with a router or switch? Are you setting a Static IP in Hubitat (don't do that). How are you determining the hub itself is locking up versus you simply losing connectivity with the hub?**
I realize that everybody says there network is 100% fine but I'm certain mine is and have ruled it out by using test equipment. IP address is dynamically assigned. Reason I know the hub is freezing is because the UI periodically stops responding and when I ping the device i.e. ping 192.168.0.15 it times out and the automations fail.

*** If all that is good, that would point to one of your devices or one of your automations being problematic. You likely have transferred the problem to the new hub.**
I didn't transfer anything, including automations - rebuilt EVERYTHING from scratch.

Which suggests one of the things you transferred from the old one is causing an issue.

Can you post your z-wave details page as of now in it's entirety?

Do you have any zooz 4-in-1 sensors?

Do you have any Power reporting outlets in your mesh?

What 3rd party apps are you running at the moment?

What do your event logs, device stats, and app stats have to say?

2 Likes

What kind of network switch is your hub plugged into? Is ethernet speed set to Auto or 100 Mbps in the hub's network configuration?

3 Likes