How to Factory Reset a Hubitat Elevation C7

I received a Hubitat Elevation C7 which apparently had be previously sold to another customer, returned, and used to fulfill my order. I cannot register the device to my email account because it is still associated with the email address of the previous buyer.

How can I do a factory reset to clear the previous data and register this device to me? Even thought I can locate the hub on my network, I cannot register it because I can't change the admin email address.

The registration isn't actually on the hub, so resetting the hub won't alleviate your issue. The original owner should deregister the hub.. but as a recipient of an Amazon blunder, there's probably not a useful path. (Amazon has repeatedly been given instructions by Hubitat to return all returns to Hubitat.. but clearly don't follow the instructions well.)

@support_team May be able to resolve this for you.

Normally a Hub would be de-registered here:
https://my.hubitat.com/

1 Like

Unfortunately, this wasn't an Amazon blunder. It was ordered directly from Hubitat. Order confirmation number is #MJT6TFRFK.

1 Like

Tagging @bobbyD

1 Like

FWIW, Amazon fulfills orders made on hubitat.com ……

3 Likes

Perhaps the blunder was relying on Amazon for order fulfillment... Amazon has caused Hubitat to have one very unhappy customer.

Yea, it happens. It makes us all sad.

I know I wish that everyone had the same amazing experience i've had and I'm on my 10th Hubitat hub. Five of them are retired now. I only have two C-8's and three C-7's powered these days.

3 Likes

Sorry for the troubles, please check the notifications in the upper right corner. I sent you a private message.

2 Likes

bobbyD - Happy Camper here... Sorry for the delay but my project got interrupted. I received the replacement hub, got it connected, configured, and working! Thank you very much for your help. Great job with turning a bad experience into a very satisfied customer. Your support rocks!

1 Like

It doesn't happen often but once in a while amazon puts a return of the shelf and they shouldn't but honestly overall you can't beat their logistics... Glad you're up and running!!! (Also surprised you didn't order a c8!)

Since you're new to hubitat, have a look at this post. It will help you avoid some gotchas...

I purchased a used C-7 on eBay and would like to hard reset it before placing it in my system... How do I do this?

Settings -> Z-Wave Details - Reset Z-Wave Radio (if there's anything there)
Settings -> Zigbee Details - Reset Zigbee Radio (if there's anything there)
Settings -> Hub Details - copy MAC address
Settings -> Diagnostic Tool - paste MAC address
Select "Soft Reset"

1 Like

Hard reset?

There is no such button. What I described above is, for all intents & purposes, a hard reset.

3 Likes

Yeah, there may never have been a 'button', but in reading threads, the hard reset option was hidden.

How certain is a soft reset will be enough to wipe out whatever was there?
Do I need to then re-register it?

Completely certain.

Here, I'm not as sure. @bobbyD may have to check to see if your hub is registered and if so, purge the record so that you can register it.

2 Likes

You can’t. But the original owner can. Unless you know the email address and password they used to register your hub.

1 Like

Yes, but if you can't it means the previous owner didn't deregister it.

It was hidden then removed. What @Bullfrog laid out for you is what tech support will tell you to do.

1 Like

Is there any chance, even remote possibility, that a previous owner could have hacked the main code?

Unlikely, why do you ask? Because it's used? After it's setup simply update it, the platform will be wiped and rewritten.

1 Like