How can I save measurements externally?

I have a dashboard that tracks my ISP Status, public IP address, last time my connection was down, and my last power outage. I would like to be able to export these stats to a file to track these things over a year. How do I go about doing that?

Many of us use influxdb as an external db, then layer grafana on top for visualizations.

3 Likes

You can append your desired data elements to a text csv file saved to your hub’s local storage using Rule Machine.

1 Like

So, the original question is what are the steps to save data to a file that is not on the hub?

The times that I have used Grafana and influxdb have taught me that I am most definitely not a DBA. I am looking for some tool or step by step process to export data outside my HE to a file on another server instance. The HE storage just won't handle all the thousands of measurements that I want to export over a year and I do want to be able to perform graphs and summarizations over the prior 12 months.

I would suggest influxdb and grafana as well.

There is a influxdb smartapp that will put all the information into Influxdb for you from your hub. Then you would just need to get the queries to visualize it on a grafana dashboard. Understanding query sentax isn't to bad once you get a few under your belt. I am not a dba either but can get a fair amount of stuff out with grafana.

You can also use Node-Red to load data into influxdb as well.

How much of your information you want to collect is avaliable on the hub in devices and such.

1 Like

Could you us IFTTT to append to a google sheet or doc?

When the intention is external do you want a external cloud privider involved or are you thinking like a local computer or nas to a csv or text file.

So no, my goal would not be the public cloud. I really focus my data and resources on the self hosted environment. So ideally, I would be storing the data to a file on a web server. Perhaps something like Webdav export or Nextcloud. I guess I had hoped that some intrepid Hubitat app developer would have built an application that would allow switch status, sensor values, and even variables to http post their results to a web app on a server instance that would store said data in a file that it builds in perhaps a CSV format. This would also take care of solving the graphics problem that the Hubigraph app dealt with. External data export of this type should be a built in function of HE by now. IFTTT and google sheets make use of precarious cloud services that are neither private nor secure and fail when your ISP connection is down.

I bet you could use Node-Red to do it. You have to find the right pallets and probably create the flow with formatting for each event so you collect the data you want.

I still think running influxdb and grafana are probably easier. Especially when it comes to analyzing the data down the road.

What do you have at home to run this on now. Do you have a nas that supports docker/vm's or a rasperry pi. When i first started down this path i loaded it on a raspberry pi. Both grafana and Influx db ran great on it. Since then i have moved it to my unraid server.

This is just one of my pages in grafana i review when trying to understand the temps in and around my house. I have a few others.

1 Like

I not sure I follow or agree with this statement. That isn't a automation task, but a data analytics task. They provide the method for us as users to figure it out with Maker API and the ability to right smartapps. Data analytics isn't a home automation task. Especially when you talk about long term retention.

5 Likes

I guess I am looking for an app really and not asking for core HE to handle it. I'm an intrastructure guy. Yes, I have a NAS and I run about 40 LXD instances locally. I have a YouTube channel devoted to self-hosting infrastructure.

I have looked into Node Red and watched a couple videos on it. I have an instance of InfluxDB and Grafana running, but they are blackboxes to me. I have some network dashboards I use on them and every attempt at modifying the Grafana reports has been utter failure for me. What we need are examples on how this stuff works. I am comfy installing Linux apps from Github on my own OS instances and Linux is my daily driver OS. Databases and webservers are not my forte and generally I just follow what others have done.

1 Like

Is hubitat connected to influx db.

I wouldn't mind trying to setup some stuff similarly and then can work on the visualization to help you out. I am not a dba but have gotten a good amount of exposure to query and analyzing data as a performance analysis SME on IBM infrastructure.

What version of influx db are you using 1.8 or the newer 2.x

1 Like

@mavrrick58 Check your DM's sir.

This method might work for you.

This will likely be a conversation that will be useful to many. Would either you or @mavrrick58 mind posting a summary indicating the steps you took to interface Hubitat with influxDB and Grafana to this thread?

Many thanks!

3 Likes

The concept of this has been covered a fair amount in thread Share Your Data Logging and Visualization Implementations.

There is also this URL. It was created by the original developer of the InfluxDB Logger Smartapp. It is the directions I used a few years back to setup my environment initially in Smartthings. The problem with that walkthrough though is it was written 8 years ago and for SmarThings instead of HE. So the install procedures from InfluxDB, and Grafana have likely changed a little bit. They also don't apply at all if you don't install them on their own OS. So if you use Docker or containers they don't apply. It should also be understood at this point you need to install Influxdb 1.x. The newer 2.x seems to have issues with allot of pieces of software.

InfluxDB install methods. Make sure to scroll to the bottom and select the 1.x opensource version

Grafana install directions
Grafana on Raspberry Pi specific install directions

The gist of this is to install InfluxDB, and Grafana on some hardware. They both are very flexible and can be installed on anything from a raspberry pi to enterprise grade hardware in VMWare or a containerized workload. Personally I run them in Containers on a Unraid server. If someone is starting out they should probably just use a raspberry pi if they do not have a always on server on the same network with the hub.

Once Influxdb is installed you should use the commands provided in the link above to create the database and create a user profile/password for access. These are shown in the steps below

From a command prompt on the system type in "influx" and press enter. Then submit the below commands.

CREATE DATABASE "Hubitat"

CREATE USER "grafana" WITH PASSWORD 'password'

Now you can setup the InfluxDB Logger Smartapp on your hub to point to the InfluxDB server instance with the user id and password you setup.

Once it is setup with the configured database you should be able to view the live logging and see no errors.

Now that you have a working database in Influxdb, with data being added to it, you need connect Grafana to it. Log into the Grafana front end with user "Admin" and click on the gear icon in the left side menu. It should give you a option for "Data Sources" Click on that. The center pain will update with the option to add your database in influxdb. Click on the button for "Add Datasource" and scroll through the list of database types provided until you find InfuxDB and select it. You should now be taken to a setup screen for the connection. Give it a name that you can use when setting up your dashboards and enter the url of the server you installed Influxdb on. A example of this is http://192.168.86.XX:8086 where 192.168.86.XX is the IP of where you installed InfluxDB. Then scroll down until you can input the database name and user id and password configured earlier. The database name is case sensitive. You have a option now to click on a button "Save & Test" which will confirm grafana can access the database. I would suggest doing so just to confirm you can hit the database with Grafana.

Assuming all of the above stuff validated properly now you are ready to create visualizations. Codersaur has a good first example of building a single dashboard so I would refer someone to that for a first example. Once you get the hang of one or two it should be easier to do more. Grafana also has a ton of options for different kinds of widgets so you can continue to expand beyond a simple graph over time if you want. I hope that helps anyone interested in this topic that comes upon this.

Here is the version of InfluxDB Logger that I use and I believe it is the latest version available.

/*****************************************************************************************************************
 *  Source: https://github.com/HubitatCommunity/InfluxDB-Logger
 *  Raw Source: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HubitatCommunity/InfluxDB-Logger/master/influxdb-logger.groovy
 *  Forked from: https://github.com/codersaur/SmartThings/tree/master/smartapps/influxdb-logger
 *  Original Author: David Lomas (codersaur)
 *  Hubitat Elevation version maintained by Joshua Marker (@tooluser)
 *  Description: A SmartApp to log Hubitat device states to an InfluxDB database.
 *  See Codersaur's github repo for more information.
 *  NOTE: Hubitat does not currently support group names.
 *  License:
 *   Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
 *   in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *   Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
 *   on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 *   for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 *   Modifcation History
 *   Date       Name		Change 
 *   2019-02-02 Dan Ogorchock	Use asynchttpPost() instead of httpPost() call
 *   2019-09-09 Caleb Morse     Support deferring writes and doing buld writes to influxdb
 *****************************************************************************************************************/
definition(
    name: "InfluxDB Logger",
    namespace: "nowhereville",
    author: "Joshua Marker (tooluser)",
    description: "Log SmartThings device states to InfluxDB",
    category: "My Apps",
    iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience.png",
    iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png",
    iconX3Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png")

import groovy.transform.Field
	@Field static java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentLinkedQueue loggerQueue = new java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentLinkedQueue()
	@Field static java.util.concurrent.Semaphore mutex = new java.util.concurrent.Semaphore(1)

preferences {
      	page(name: "newPage")
}

def newPage() {
    dynamicPage(name: "newPage", title: "New Settings Page", install: true, uninstall: true) {
	    section("General:") {
    	    //input "prefDebugMode", "bool", title: "Enable debug logging?", defaultValue: true, displayDuringSetup: true
        	input (
        		name: "configLoggingLevelIDE",
        		title: "IDE Live Logging Level:\nMessages with this level and higher will be logged to the IDE.",
        		type: "enum",
        		options: [
	        	    "0" : "None",
    	    	    "1" : "Error",
        		    "2" : "Warning",
        		    "3" : "Info",
        	    	"4" : "Debug",
	        	    "5" : "Trace"
    	    	],
        		defaultValue: "3",
            	displayDuringSetup: true,
	        	required: false
    	    )
    	}

section ("InfluxDB Database:") {
	        input "prefDatabaseHost", "text", title: "Host", defaultValue: "192.168.1.100", required: true
    	    input "prefDatabasePort", "text", title: "Port", defaultValue: "8086", required: true
        	input "prefDatabaseName", "text", title: "Database Name", defaultValue: "Hubitat", required: true
        	input "prefDatabaseUser", "text", title: "Username", required: false
        	input "prefDatabasePass", "text", title: "Password", required: false
    	}

section("Polling / Write frequency:") {
	        input "prefSoftPollingInterval", "number", title:"Soft-Polling interval (minutes)", defaultValue: 10, required: true

input "writeInterval", "enum", title:"How often to write to db (minutes)", defaultValue: "5", required: true,
        		options: ["1",  "2", "3", "4", "5", "10", "15"]
    	}

section("System Monitoring:") {
    	    input "prefLogModeEvents", "bool", title:"Log Mode Events?", defaultValue: true, required: true
        	input "prefLogHubProperties", "bool", title:"Log Hub Properties?", defaultValue: true, required: true
        	input "prefLogLocationProperties", "bool", title:"Log Location Properties?", defaultValue: true, required: true
    	}

section("Input Format Preference:") {
			input "accessAllAttributes", "bool", title:"Get Access To All Attributes?", defaultValue: false, required: true, submitOnChange: true
		}

if(!accessAllAttributes)
		{
	       	section("Devices To Monitor:", hideable:true,hidden:true) {
    	 	  	input "accelerometers", "capability.accelerationSensor", title: "Accelerometers", multiple: true, required: false
       			input "alarms", "capability.alarm", title: "Alarms", multiple: true, required: false
       			input "batteries", "capability.battery", title: "Batteries", multiple: true, required: false
       			input "beacons", "capability.beacon", title: "Beacons", multiple: true, required: false
	       		input "buttons", "capability.button", title: "Buttons", multiple: true, required: false
    	  		input "cos", "capability.carbonMonoxideDetector", title: "Carbon Monoxide Detectors", multiple: true, required: false
       			input "co2s", "capability.carbonDioxideMeasurement", title: "Carbon Dioxide Detectors", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "colors", "capability.colorControl", title: "Color Controllers", multiple: true, required: false
	        	input "consumables", "capability.consumable", title: "Consumables", multiple: true, required: false
    	    	input "contacts", "capability.contactSensor", title: "Contact Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "doorsControllers", "capability.doorControl", title: "Door Controllers", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "energyMeters", "capability.energyMeter", title: "Energy Meters", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "humidities", "capability.relativeHumidityMeasurement", title: "Humidity Meters", multiple: true, required: false
	        	input "illuminances", "capability.illuminanceMeasurement", title: "Illuminance Meters", multiple: true, required: false
    	    	input "locks", "capability.lock", title: "Locks", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "motions", "capability.motionSensor", title: "Motion Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "musicPlayers", "capability.musicPlayer", title: "Music Players", multiple: true, required: false
	        	input "peds", "capability.stepSensor", title: "Pedometers", multiple: true, required: false
    	    	input "phMeters", "capability.pHMeasurement", title: "pH Meters", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "powerMeters", "capability.powerMeter", title: "Power Meters", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "presences", "capability.presenceSensor", title: "Presence Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
	        	input "pressures", "capability.sensor", title: "Pressure Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
    	    	input "shockSensors", "capability.shockSensor", title: "Shock Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "signalStrengthMeters", "capability.signalStrength", title: "Signal Strength Meters", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "sleepSensors", "capability.sleepSensor", title: "Sleep Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
	        	input "smokeDetectors", "capability.smokeDetector", title: "Smoke Detectors", multiple: true, required: false
    	    	input "soundSensors", "capability.soundSensor", title: "Sound Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
				input "spls", "capability.soundPressureLevel", title: "Sound Pressure Level Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
				input "switches", "capability.switch", title: "Switches", multiple: true, required: false
	        	input "switchLevels", "capability.switchLevel", title: "Switch Levels", multiple: true, required: false
    	    	input "tamperAlerts", "capability.tamperAlert", title: "Tamper Alerts", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "temperatures", "capability.temperatureMeasurement", title: "Temperature Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "thermostats", "capability.thermostat", title: "Thermostats", multiple: true, required: false
	        	input "threeAxis", "capability.threeAxis", title: "Three-axis (Orientation) Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
    	    	input "touchs", "capability.touchSensor", title: "Touch Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "uvs", "capability.ultravioletIndex", title: "UV Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "valves", "capability.valve", title: "Valves", multiple: true, required: false
	        	input "volts", "capability.voltageMeasurement", title: "Voltage Meters", multiple: true, required: false
    	    	input "waterSensors", "capability.waterSensor", title: "Water Sensors", multiple: true, required: false
        		input "windowShades", "capability.windowShade", title: "Window Shades", multiple: true, required: false
    		}
		} else {
			section("Devices To Monitor:", hideable:true,hidden:true) {
				input name: "allDevices", type: "capability.*", title: "Selected Devices", multiple: true, required: false, submitOnChange: true
			}

section() {
				state.deviceList = [:]
				allDevices.each { device -> 
					state.deviceList[device.id] = "${device.label ?: device.name}"
				}
			}

section() {
				state.selectedAttr=[:]
				settings.allDevices.each { deviceName ->
					if(deviceName) {
						deviceId = deviceName.getId()
        				attr = deviceName.getSupportedAttributes().unique()
						if(attr) {
							state.options =[]
							index = 0
							attr.each {at->
								state.options[index] = "${at}"
								index = index+1
							}

section("$deviceName", hideable: true) {
								input name:"attrForDev$deviceId", type: "enum", title: "$deviceName", options: state.options, multiple: true, required: false, submitOnChange: true
							}

state.selectedAttr[deviceId] = settings["attrForDev"+deviceId]
						}
					}
            	}
			}
			/*
			section("allo") {
				state.pollForAttr=[:]
				section("$softPolling", hideable: true) {
					state.selectedAttr.each { entry ->
						deviceId = entry.key
						state.temp=[]
						index = 0
						entry.value.each{ theAttr ->
								input name:"pollForDev$deviceId$theAttr", type: "enum", title: "$theAttr", options: [0,1,2,3,4,5,10,15,20,30,45,90,120], multiple: true, required: false, submitOnChange: true

}

log.debug "$deviceId - $theAttr"
						log.debug "allo"
						log.debug settings["pollForDev"+deviceId+theAttr]
						state.temp[index] =  settings["pollForDev"+deviceId+theAttr]
						index = index+1
						log.debug state.temp
						//state.pollForAttr[deviceId][theAttr] = settings["pollForDev"+deviceId+theAttr]

}
				}
			} */
		}

}
}

def getDeviceObj(id) {
    def found
    settings.allDevices.each { device -> 
        if (device.getId() == id) {
            //log.debug "Found at $device for $id with id: ${device.id}"
            found = device
        }
    }
    return found
}

/*****************************************************************************************************************
 *  SmartThings System Commands:
 *****************************************************************************************************************/

/**
 *  installed()
 *  Runs when the app is first installed.
 **/
def installed() {
    state.installedAt = now()
    state.loggingLevelIDE = 5
    // Needs to be synchronized in case another event happens at the same time
    synchronized(this) {
        state.queuedData = []
    }
    log.debug "${app.label}: Installed with settings: ${settings}" 
}

/**
 *  uninstalled()
 *  Runs when the app is uninstalled.
 **/
def uninstalled() {
    logger("uninstalled()","trace")
}

/**
 *  updated()
 *  Runs when app settings are changed.
 *  Updates device.state with input values and other hard-coded values.
 *  Builds state.deviceAttributes which describes the attributes that will be monitored for each device collection 
 *  (used by manageSubscriptions() and softPoll()).
 *  Refreshes scheduling and subscriptions.
 **/
def updated() {
    logger("updated()","trace")

// Update internal state:
    state.loggingLevelIDE = (settings.configLoggingLevelIDE) ? settings.configLoggingLevelIDE.toInteger() : 3

// Database config:
    state.databaseHost = settings.prefDatabaseHost
    state.databasePort = settings.prefDatabasePort
    state.databaseName = settings.prefDatabaseName
    state.databaseUser = settings.prefDatabaseUser
    state.databasePass = settings.prefDatabasePass 

state.path = "/write?db=${state.databaseName}"
    state.headers = [:] 
    state.headers.put("HOST", "${state.databaseHost}:${state.databasePort}")
    //state.headers.put("Content-Type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded")
    if (state.databaseUser && state.databasePass) {
        state.headers.put("Authorization", encodeCredentialsBasic(state.databaseUser, state.databasePass))
    }

// Build array of device collections and the attributes we want to report on for that collection:
    //  Note, the collection names are stored as strings. Adding references to the actual collection 
    //  objects causes major issues (possibly memory issues?).
    state.deviceAttributes = []
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'accelerometers', attributes: ['acceleration']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'alarms', attributes: ['alarm']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'batteries', attributes: ['battery']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'beacons', attributes: ['presence']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'buttons', attributes: ['button']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'cos', attributes: ['carbonMonoxide']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'co2s', attributes: ['carbonDioxide']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'colors', attributes: ['hue','saturation','color']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'consumables', attributes: ['consumableStatus']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'contacts', attributes: ['contact']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'doorsControllers', attributes: ['door']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'energyMeters', attributes: ['energy']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'humidities', attributes: ['humidity']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'illuminances', attributes: ['illuminance']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'locks', attributes: ['lock']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'motions', attributes: ['motion']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'musicPlayers', attributes: ['status','level','trackDescription','trackData','mute']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'peds', attributes: ['steps','goal']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'phMeters', attributes: ['pH']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'powerMeters', attributes: ['power','voltage','current','powerFactor']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'presences', attributes: ['presence']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'pressures', attributes: ['pressure']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'shockSensors', attributes: ['shock']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'signalStrengthMeters', attributes: ['lqi','rssi']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'sleepSensors', attributes: ['sleeping']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'smokeDetectors', attributes: ['smoke']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'soundSensors', attributes: ['sound']]
	state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'spls', attributes: ['soundPressureLevel']]
	state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'switches', attributes: ['switch']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'switchLevels', attributes: ['level']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'tamperAlerts', attributes: ['tamper']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'temperatures', attributes: ['temperature']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'thermostats', attributes: ['temperature','heatingSetpoint','coolingSetpoint','thermostatSetpoint','thermostatMode','thermostatFanMode','thermostatOperatingState','thermostatSetpointMode','scheduledSetpoint','optimisation','windowFunction']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'threeAxis', attributes: ['threeAxis']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'touchs', attributes: ['touch']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'uvs', attributes: ['ultravioletIndex']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'valves', attributes: ['contact']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'volts', attributes: ['voltage']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'waterSensors', attributes: ['water']]
    state.deviceAttributes << [ devices: 'windowShades', attributes: ['windowShade']]

// Configure Scheduling:
    state.softPollingInterval = settings.prefSoftPollingInterval.toInteger()
    state.writeInterval = settings.writeInterval
    manageSchedules()

// Configure Subscriptions:
    manageSubscriptions()
}

*  Event Handlers:

/**
 *  handleAppTouch(evt)
 *  Used for testing.
 **/
def handleAppTouch(evt) {
    logger("handleAppTouch()","trace")

softPoll()
}

/**
 *  handleModeEvent(evt)
 *  Log Mode changes.
 **/
def handleModeEvent(evt) {
    logger("handleModeEvent(): Mode changed to: ${evt.value}","info")

def locationId = escapeStringForInfluxDB(location.id.toString())
    def locationName = escapeStringForInfluxDB(location.name)
    def mode = '"' + escapeStringForInfluxDB(evt.value) + '"'
	def data = "_stMode,locationId=${locationId},locationName=${locationName} mode=${mode}"
    queueToInfluxDb(data)
}

/**
 *  handleEvent(evt)
 *  Builds data to send to InfluxDB.
 *   - Escapes and quotes string values.
 *   - Calculates logical binary values where string values can be 
 *     represented as binary values (e.g. contact: closed = 1, open = 0)
 *  Useful references: 
 *   - http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html
 *   - https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v0.10/guides/writing_data/
 **/
def handleEvent(evt) {
    //logger("handleEvent(): $evt.unit","info")
    logger("handleEvent(): $evt.displayName($evt.name:$evt.unit) $evt.value","info")

// Build data string to send to InfluxDB:
    //  Format: <measurement>[,<tag_name>=<tag_value>] field=<field_value>
    //    If value is an integer, it must have a trailing "i"
    //    If value is a string, it must be enclosed in double quotes.
    def measurement = evt.name
    // tags:
    def deviceId = escapeStringForInfluxDB(evt.deviceId.toString())
    def deviceName = escapeStringForInfluxDB(evt.displayName)
    def groupId = escapeStringForInfluxDB(evt?.device.device.groupId)
    def groupName = escapeStringForInfluxDB(getGroupName(evt?.device.device.groupId))
    def hubId = escapeStringForInfluxDB(evt?.device.device.hubId.toString())
    def hubName = escapeStringForInfluxDB(evt?.device.device.hub.name.toString())
    // Don't pull these from the evt.device as the app itself will be associated with one location.
    def locationId = escapeStringForInfluxDB(location.id.toString())
    def locationName = escapeStringForInfluxDB(location.name)

def unit = escapeStringForInfluxDB(evt.unit)
    def value = escapeStringForInfluxDB(evt.value)
    def valueBinary = ''

def data = "${measurement},deviceId=${deviceId},deviceName=${deviceName},groupId=${groupId},groupName=${groupName},hubId=${hubId},hubName=${hubName},locationId=${locationId},locationName=${locationName}"

// Unit tag and fields depend on the event type:
    //  Most string-valued attributes can be translated to a binary value too.
    if ('acceleration' == evt.name) { // acceleration: Calculate a binary value (active = 1, inactive = 0)
        unit = 'acceleration'
        value = '"' + value + '"'
        valueBinary = ('active' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
        data += ",unit=${unit} value=${value},valueBinary=${valueBinary}"
    }
    else if ('alarm' == evt.name) { // alarm: Calculate a binary value (strobe/siren/both = 1, off = 0)
        unit = 'alarm'
        valueBinary = ('off' == evt.value) ? '0i' : '1i'
    }
    else if ('button' == evt.name) { // button: Calculate a binary value (held = 1, pushed = 0)
        unit = 'button'
        valueBinary = ('pushed' == evt.value) ? '0i' : '1i'
    }
    else if ('carbonMonoxide' == evt.name) { // carbonMonoxide: Calculate a binary value (detected = 1, clear/tested = 0)
        unit = 'carbonMonoxide'
        valueBinary = ('detected' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('consumableStatus' == evt.name) { // consumableStatus: Calculate a binary value ("good" = 1, "missing"/"replace"/"maintenance_required"/"order" = 0)
        unit = 'consumableStatus'
        valueBinary = ('good' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('contact' == evt.name) { // contact: Calculate a binary value (closed = 1, open = 0)
        unit = 'contact'
        valueBinary = ('closed' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('door' == evt.name) { // door: Calculate a binary value (closed = 1, open/opening/closing/unknown = 0)
        unit = 'door'
    }
    else if ('lock' == evt.name) { // door: Calculate a binary value (locked = 1, unlocked = 0)
        unit = 'lock'
        valueBinary = ('locked' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('motion' == evt.name) { // Motion: Calculate a binary value (active = 1, inactive = 0)
        unit = 'motion'
    }
    else if ('mute' == evt.name) { // mute: Calculate a binary value (muted = 1, unmuted = 0)
        unit = 'mute'
        valueBinary = ('muted' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('presence' == evt.name) { // presence: Calculate a binary value (present = 1, not present = 0)
        unit = 'presence'
        valueBinary = ('present' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('shock' == evt.name) { // shock: Calculate a binary value (detected = 1, clear = 0)
        unit = 'shock'
    }
    else if ('sleeping' == evt.name) { // sleeping: Calculate a binary value (sleeping = 1, not sleeping = 0)
        unit = 'sleeping'
        valueBinary = ('sleeping' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('smoke' == evt.name) { // smoke: Calculate a binary value (detected = 1, clear/tested = 0)
        unit = 'smoke'
    }
    else if ('sound' == evt.name) { // sound: Calculate a binary value (detected = 1, not detected = 0)
        unit = 'sound'
    }
    else if ('switch' == evt.name) { // switch: Calculate a binary value (on = 1, off = 0)
        unit = 'switch'
        valueBinary = ('on' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('tamper' == evt.name) { // tamper: Calculate a binary value (detected = 1, clear = 0)
        unit = 'tamper'
    }
    else if ('thermostatMode' == evt.name) { // thermostatMode: Calculate a binary value (<any other value> = 1, off = 0)
        unit = 'thermostatMode'
    }
    else if ('thermostatFanMode' == evt.name) { // thermostatFanMode: Calculate a binary value (<any other value> = 1, off = 0)
        unit = 'thermostatFanMode'
    }
    else if ('thermostatOperatingState' == evt.name) { // thermostatOperatingState: Calculate a binary value (heating = 1, <any other value> = 0)
        unit = 'thermostatOperatingState'
        valueBinary = ('heating' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('thermostatSetpointMode' == evt.name) { // thermostatSetpointMode: Calculate a binary value (followSchedule = 0, <any other value> = 1)
        unit = 'thermostatSetpointMode'
        valueBinary = ('followSchedule' == evt.value) ? '0i' : '1i'
    }
    else if ('threeAxis' == evt.name) { // threeAxis: Format to x,y,z values.
        unit = 'threeAxis'
        def valueXYZ = evt.value.split(",")
        def valueX = valueXYZ[0]
        def valueY = valueXYZ[1]
        def valueZ = valueXYZ[2]
        data += ",unit=${unit} valueX=${valueX}i,valueY=${valueY}i,valueZ=${valueZ}i" // values are integers.
    }
    else if ('touch' == evt.name) { // touch: Calculate a binary value (touched = 1, "" = 0)
        unit = 'touch'
        valueBinary = ('touched' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('optimisation' == evt.name) { // optimisation: Calculate a binary value (active = 1, inactive = 0)
        unit = 'optimisation'
    }
    else if ('windowFunction' == evt.name) { // windowFunction: Calculate a binary value (active = 1, inactive = 0)
        unit = 'windowFunction'
    }
    else if ('touch' == evt.name) { // touch: Calculate a binary value (touched = 1, <any other value> = 0)
        unit = 'touch'
        valueBinary = ('touched' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('water' == evt.name) { // water: Calculate a binary value (wet = 1, dry = 0)
        unit = 'water'
        valueBinary = ('wet' == evt.value) ? '1i' : '0i'
    }
    else if ('windowShade' == evt.name) { // windowShade: Calculate a binary value (closed = 1, <any other value> = 0)
        unit = 'windowShade'
    }
    // Catch any other event with a string value that hasn't been handled:
    else if (evt.value ==~ /.*[^0-9\.,-].*/) { // match if any characters are not digits, period, comma, or hyphen.
		logger("handleEvent(): Found a string value that's not explicitly handled: Device Name: ${deviceName}, Event Name: ${evt.name}, Value: ${evt.value}","warn")
        data += ",unit=${unit} value=${value}"
    }
    // Catch any other general numerical event (carbonDioxide, power, energy, humidity, level, temperature, ultravioletIndex, voltage, etc).
    else {
        data += ",unit=${unit} value=${value}"
    }

//logger("$data","info")

// Queue data for later write to InfluxDB
    queueToInfluxDb(data)
}

*  Main Commands:

/**
 *  softPoll()
 *  Executed by schedule.
 *  Forces data to be posted to InfluxDB (even if an event has not been triggered).
 *  Doesn't poll devices, just builds a fake event to pass to handleEvent().
 *  Also calls LogSystemProperties().
 **/
def softPoll() {
    logger("softPoll()","trace")

logSystemProperties()
	if(!accessAllAttributes) {
		// Iterate over each attribute for each device, in each device collection in deviceAttributes:
    	def devs // temp variable to hold device collection.
    	state.deviceAttributes.each { da ->
	        devs = settings."${da.devices}"
    	    if (devs && (da.attributes)) {
        	    devs.each { d ->
            	    da.attributes.each { attr ->
                	    if (d.hasAttribute(attr) && d.latestState(attr)?.value != null) {
                    	    logger("softPoll(): Softpolling device ${d} for attribute: ${attr}","info")
                        	// Send fake event to handleEvent():

handleEvent([
    	                        name: attr, 
        	                    value: d.latestState(attr)?.value,
            	                unit: d.latestState(attr)?.unit,
                	            device: d,
                    	        deviceId: d.id,
                        	    displayName: d.displayName
                        	])
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}
	} else {
		state.selectedAttr.each{ entry -> 
			d = getDeviceObj(entry.key)
			entry.value.each{ attr ->
            	if (d.hasAttribute(attr) && d.latestState(attr)?.value != null) {
            		logger("softPoll(): Softpolling device ${d} for attribute: ${attr}","info")
                	// Send fake event to handleEvent():
                	handleEvent([
	                	name: attr, 
    	                value: d.latestState(attr)?.value,
        	            unit: d.latestState(attr)?.unit,
            	        device: d,
                	    deviceId: d.id,
                    	displayName: d.displayName
                	])
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

/**
 *  logSystemProperties()
 *  Generates measurements for SmartThings system (hubs and locations) properties.
 **/
def logSystemProperties() {
    logger("logSystemProperties()","trace")

def locationId = '"' + escapeStringForInfluxDB(location.id.toString()) + '"'
    def locationName = '"' + escapeStringForInfluxDB(location.name) + '"'

// Location Properties:
    if (prefLogLocationProperties) {
        try {
            def tz = '"' + escapeStringForInfluxDB(location.timeZone.ID.toString()) + '"'
            def mode = '"' + escapeStringForInfluxDB(location.mode) + '"'
            def hubCount = location.hubs.size()
            def times = getSunriseAndSunset()
            def srt = '"' + times.sunrise.format("HH:mm", location.timeZone) + '"'
            def sst = '"' + times.sunset.format("HH:mm", location.timeZone) + '"'

def data = "_heLocation,locationId=${locationId},locationName=${locationName},latitude=${location.latitude},longitude=${location.longitude},timeZone=${tz} mode=${mode},hubCount=${hubCount}i,sunriseTime=${srt},sunsetTime=${sst}"
            queueToInfluxDb(data)
            //log.debug("LocationData = ${data}")
        } catch (e) {
		    logger("logSystemProperties(): Unable to log Location properties: ${e}","error")
        }
	}

// Hub Properties:
    if (prefLogHubProperties) {
       	location.hubs.each { h ->
        	try {
                def hubId = '"' + escapeStringForInfluxDB(h.id.toString()) + '"'
                def hubName = '"' + escapeStringForInfluxDB(h.name.toString()) + '"'
                def hubIP = '"' + escapeStringForInfluxDB(h.localIP.toString()) + '"'
                //def hubStatus = '"' + escapeStringForInfluxDB(h.status) + '"'
                //def batteryInUse = ("false" == h.hub.getDataValue("batteryInUse")) ? "0i" : "1i"
                // See fix here for null time returned: https://github.com/codersaur/SmartThings/pull/33/files
                //def hubUptime = h.hub.getDataValue("uptime") + 'i'
                //def hubLastBootUnixTS = h.hub.uptime + 'i'
                //def zigbeePowerLevel = h.hub.getDataValue("zigbeePowerLevel") + 'i'
                //def zwavePowerLevel =  '"' + escapeStringForInfluxDB(h.hub.getDataValue("zwavePowerLevel")) + '"'
                def firmwareVersion =  '"' + escapeStringForInfluxDB(h.firmwareVersionString) + '"'

def data = "_heHub,locationId=${locationId},locationName=${locationName},hubId=${hubId},hubName=${hubName},hubIP=${hubIP} "
                data += "firmwareVersion=${firmwareVersion}"
                // See fix here for null time returned: https://github.com/codersaur/SmartThings/pull/33/files
                //data += "status=${hubStatus},batteryInUse=${batteryInUse},uptime=${hubUptime},zigbeePowerLevel=${zigbeePowerLevel},zwavePowerLevel=${zwavePowerLevel},firmwareVersion=${firmwareVersion}"
                //data += "status=${hubStatus},batteryInUse=${batteryInUse},uptime=${hubLastBootUnixTS},zigbeePowerLevel=${zigbeePowerLevel},zwavePowerLevel=${zwavePowerLevel},firmwareVersion=${firmwareVersion}"
                queueToInfluxDb(data)
                //log.debug("HubData = ${data}")
            } catch (e) {
				logger("logSystemProperties(): Unable to log Hub properties: ${e}","error")
        	}
       	}

}
}

def queueToInfluxDb(data) {
    // Add timestamp (influxdb does this automatically, but since we're batching writes, we need to add it
    long timeNow = (new Date().time) * 1e6 // Time is in milliseconds, needs to be in nanoseconds
    data += " ${timeNow}"

int queueSize = 0
	try {
		mutex.acquire()
		//if(!mutex.tryAcquire()) {
		//	logger("Error 1 in queueToInfluxDb","Warning")
		//	mutex.release()
		//}

loggerQueue.offer(data)
		queueSize = loggerQueue.size()

// Give some visibility at the interface level
		state.queuedData = loggerQueue.toArray()
	} 
	catch(e) {
		logger("Error 2 in queueToInfluxDb","Warning")
	} 
	finally {
		mutex.release()
	}

if (queueSize > 100) {
        logger("Queue size is too big, triggering write now", "info")
        writeQueuedDataToInfluxDb()
    }
}

def writeQueuedDataToInfluxDb() {
    String writeData = ""

try {
		mutex.acquire()
		//if(!mutex.tryAcquire()) {
		//	logger("Error 1 in writeQueuedDataToInfluxDb","Warning")
		//	mutex.release()
		//}

if(loggerQueue.size() == 0) {
            logger("No queued data to write to InfluxDB", "info")
            return
		}
        logger("Writing queued data of size ${loggerQueue.size()} out", "info")
		a = loggerQueue.toArray() 
		writeData = a.join('\n')
		loggerQueue.clear()
		state.queuedData = []
	}	   
	catch(e) {
		logger("Error 2 in writeQueuedDataToInfluxDb","Warning")
	} 
	finally {
		mutex.release()
	}

postToInfluxDB(writeData)
}

/**
 *  postToInfluxDB()
 *  Posts data to InfluxDB.
 *  Uses hubAction instead of httpPost() in case InfluxDB server is on the same LAN as the Smartthings Hub.
 **/
def postToInfluxDB(data) {
    logger("postToInfluxDB(): Posting data to InfluxDB: Host: ${state.databaseHost}, Port: ${state.databasePort}, Database: ${state.databaseName}, Data: [${data}]","info")
    //logger("$state", "info")
    //try {
    //    //def hubAction = new physicalgraph.device.HubAction(
    //    def hubAction = new hubitat.device.HubAction(
    //    	[
    //            method: "POST",
    //            path: state.path,
    //            body: data,
    //            headers: state.headers
    //        ],
    //        null,
    //        [ callback: handleInfluxResponse ]
    //    )
	//	
    //    sendHubCommand(hubAction)
    //    //logger("hubAction command sent", "info")
    //}
    //catch (Exception e) {
	//	logger("postToInfluxDB(): Exception ${e} on ${hubAction}","error")
    //}

// Hubitat Async http Post

try {
		def postParams = [
			uri: "http://${state.databaseHost}:${state.databasePort}/write?db=${state.databaseName}" ,
			requestContentType: 'application/json',
			contentType: 'application/json',
			body : data
			]
		asynchttpPost('handleInfluxResponse', postParams) 
	} catch (e) {	
		logger("postToInfluxDB(): Something went wrong when posting: ${e}","error")
	}

}

/**
 *  handleInfluxResponse()
 *  Handles response from post made in postToInfluxDB().
 **/
def handleInfluxResponse(hubResponse, data) {
    //logger("postToInfluxDB(): status of post call is: ${hubResponse.status}", "info")
    if(hubResponse.status >= 400) {
		logger("postToInfluxDB(): Something went wrong! Response from InfluxDB: Status: ${hubResponse.status}, Headers: ${hubResponse.headers}, Data: ${data}","error")
    }
}

*  Private Helper Functions:

/**
 *  manageSchedules()
 *  Configures/restarts scheduled tasks: 
 *   softPoll() - Run every {state.softPollingInterval} minutes.
 **/
private manageSchedules() {
	logger("manageSchedules()","trace")

// Generate a random offset (1-60):
    Random rand = new Random(now())
    def randomOffset = 0

try {
        unschedule(softPoll)
        unschedule(writeQueuedDataToInfluxDb)
    }
    catch(e) {
        // logger("manageSchedules(): Unschedule failed!","error")
    }

randomOffset = rand.nextInt(50)
    if (state.softPollingInterval > 0) {

logger("manageSchedules(): Scheduling softpoll to run every ${state.softPollingInterval} minutes (offset of ${randomOffset} seconds).","trace")
        schedule("${randomOffset} 0/${state.softPollingInterval} * * * ?", "softPoll")
    }

randomOffset = randomOffset+8
    schedule("${randomOffset} 0/${state.writeInterval} * * * ?", "writeQueuedDataToInfluxDb")
}

/**
 *  manageSubscriptions()
 *  Configures subscriptions.
 **/
private manageSubscriptions() {
	logger("manageSubscriptions()","trace")

// Unsubscribe:
    unsubscribe()

// Subscribe to App Touch events:
    subscribe(app,handleAppTouch)

// Subscribe to mode events:
    if (prefLogModeEvents) subscribe(location, "mode", handleModeEvent)

if(!accessAllAttributes) {
    	// Subscribe to device attributes (iterate over each attribute for each device collection in state.deviceAttributes):
    	def devs // dynamic variable holding device collection.
    	state.deviceAttributes.each { da ->
        	devs = settings."${da.devices}"
        	if (devs && (da.attributes)) {
            	da.attributes.each { attr ->
                	logger("manageSubscriptions(): Subscribing to attribute: ${attr}, for devices: ${da.devices}","info")
                	// There is no need to check if all devices in the collection have the attribute.
                	subscribe(devs, attr, handleEvent)
				}
			}
		}
	} else {
		state.selectedAttr.each{ entry -> 
			d = getDeviceObj(entry.key)
			entry.value.each{ attr ->
				logger("manageSubscriptions(): Subscribing to attribute: ${attr}, for device: ${d}","info")
				subscribe(d, attr, handleEvent)
			}
		}
	}
}

/**
 *  logger()
 *  Wrapper function for all logging.
 **/
private logger(msg, level = "debug") {

switch(level) {
        case "error":
            if (state.loggingLevelIDE >= 1) log.error msg
            break

case "warn":
            if (state.loggingLevelIDE >= 2) log.warn msg
            break

case "info":
            if (state.loggingLevelIDE >= 3) log.info msg
            break

case "debug":
            if (state.loggingLevelIDE >= 4) log.debug msg
            break

case "trace":
            if (state.loggingLevelIDE >= 5) log.trace msg
            break

default:
            log.debug msg
            break
    }
}

/**
 *  encodeCredentialsBasic()
 *  Encode credentials for HTTP Basic authentication.
 **/
private encodeCredentialsBasic(username, password) {
	def rawString = "Basic " + "${username}:${password}"
    return rawString.bytes.encodeBase64().toString()
}

/**
 *  escapeStringForInfluxDB()
 *  Escape values to InfluxDB.
 *  If a tag key, tag value, or field key contains a space, comma, or an equals sign = it must 
 *  be escaped using the backslash character \. Backslash characters do not need to be escaped. 
 *  Commas and spaces will also need to be escaped for measurements, though equals signs = do not.
 *  Further info: https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v0.10/write_protocols/write_syntax/
 **/
private escapeStringForInfluxDB(str) {
    //logger("$str", "info")
    if (str) {
        str = str.replaceAll(" ", "\\\\ ") // Escape spaces.
        str = str.replaceAll(",", "\\\\,") // Escape commas.
        str = str.replaceAll("=", "\\\\=") // Escape equal signs.
        str = str.replaceAll("\"", "\\\\\"") // Escape double quotes.
        //str = str.replaceAll("'", "_")  // Replace apostrophes with underscores.
    }
    else {
        str = 'null'
    }
    return str
}

/**
 *  getGroupName()
 *  Get the name of a 'Group' (i.e. Room) from its ID.
 *  This is done manually as there does not appear to be a way to enumerate
 *  groups from a SmartApp currently.
 *  GroupIds can be obtained from the SmartThings IDE under 'My Locations'.
 *  See: https://community.smartthings.com/t/accessing-group-within-a-smartapp/6830
 **/
private getGroupName(id) {

if (id == null) {return 'Home'}
    //else if (id == 'XXXXXXXXXXXXX') {return 'Group'}
    else {return 'Unknown'}    
} 
2 Likes

One more nice thing about this is that once you have InfluxDB configured you can actually collect data from sources outside of HE as well. I have a few things that are written to Influx from Node-Red for data that wasn't really available for a while from a device in HE.

The reason InfluxDB is nice is because it is a database designed around time series data so it excells with it. A general purpose db like MySQL, DB2, or MS SQL would probably work fine but I would expect need more resources.

I use Influx 2.x with Grafana and it works. I use Node-Red as a middle man and use a modified script to format the data into the correct format to send to Influx 2. But yes any older out of the box solution probably will not work correctly with it because the data has to be formatted differently when sending it the database. If anyone needs any examples let me know.