Home Assistant or Hubitat or both?

@bob : Also ordered a Green hub and will do the same as you, try, learn and see.

1 Like

I have a qnap that I run HA on just for giggles. Honestly it really doesn't do much for me. I mean even with HADB installed, there isn't really that much for me to bring in. I thought it would do ok with my Litter Robot and Roborock but the information I can get from those I really don't need in Hubitat.... Just about everything I do is in hubitat from simple rules to complex ones. Simple and complex scenes. The dashboard is ok but I don't really use dashboards. I also don't want to write complex scripts to do something when it's all available to me in hubitat. I'm not knocking HA... I'm just saying I really don't find it better than Hubitat. As to the interface, sure Hubitat has a ways to go but I do most work on a pc when it comes to either hubitat or HA. I have the phone app simply to look at lock status' and hvac temp. Of course as with anything, YMMV...

1 Like

Connecting odd IP integrations from Home Assistant to Hubitat. It works well. Some others go the other way, largely for dashboards. I've even got a bit of a Frankenstein mode: I've got a couple items going Hubitat→Home Assistant→Control4.

You are better off setting up a VM as compared to a Docker container as the VM has HA add-ons, which are useful.

1 Like

Do you have any rules controlling Ecobee? HA does have local control of Ecobee thermostats because it can mimic a HomeKit Hub.

1 Like

Most of my response was actually regarding scenes. While HA has the ability to include more devices directly, native HA scenes don't have state, it's not possible to see scene settings at a glance, and editing a scene changes the actual state of devices.

Really dependant on your needs and desires. For me it started with a desire to use the Xiaomi motion sensors and contact sensors I owned. Once I learned that they are just as stable on HA as they are on a Xiaomi gateway, I bought more at a really good price from another community member that wanted to get rid of them.

I later switched from ZHA to Z2M and the number of possible Zigbee devices and features of each that could be accessed expanded immensely. I started experimenting with adding other devices that had previously been problematic, difficult, or impossible to reliably connect directly with Hubitat, such as IKEA devices, Lutron Connected Bulb Remotes, and those prevously PITA Gen1 OSRAM Garden Spots, which now work perfectly with Z2M.

Everthing is brought back to HE for Automation via Home Assistant Device Bridge. I have a few automations on HA, but they exist primarily to get around stateless devices that don't create entities, so I instead automate button presses on HA with virtual switches on HE so I can use them in HE automations.

I also use integrations for my:

• Hyndai Ioniq 5 (Warm the car via Alexa, Lock the doors, ensure we have enough charge, check the EV battery via Pico button press at any of my Sinope themostats, and confirm the 12v battery level in the Apple Home app on our phones)
  • Moen Flo (There's an HE integration which I also use, but there's one additional way I use it that just works better for me on HA)
  • HomeKit Device (formerly HomeKit Controller) for my Aqara FP2
  • Oral-B toothbrush (so I can confirm the kid really brushed his teeth properly)
  • Philips Hue (gives instant feedback and supports access to motion sensors joined to the Hue Bridge)
  • Sense Home Energy Monitor (supports emulated Kasa plugs so I can bring the readings of devices that already have energy monitoring, as well as the readings from my Aeon HEMs into Sense)
  • Sonos (allows me to use my IKEA Symfonisk Sound Controller with Sonos, without the stability problems I had with that device on HE)
  • Xiaomi Miot Auto (Brings my Qingping AQM Pro into HA, and thus HE and Homebridge too)
  • Orbit B-Hyve (allows me to use my Misol soil moisture sensors to work with the Smart Watering feature of my B-Hyve hose valves)
  • Insteon (Although I don't use this for integration to Hubitat, I do use it to adjust Insteon device specific options, and to add new Insteon devices without needing to subscribe to the now, pay-for-use Insteon app)
  • MQTT (serves both the Z2M integration, and two D1 Mini EPS32 boards that are flashed to give direct local integration of multiple Switchbot devices with HA, and thus use them in HE automations)
1 Like

Maybe, but a helper is set up in 10 seconds on HA with a graphical interface.

Yes, that's the way it is intended to work and that's fine for me as I can see everything working or not. I could do a script in some minutes doing the same thing, and then I could see settings, but I have no utility for it.

Editing a scene in HA and it actually changing the state while editing is one of the most infuriating design decisions I've ever seen.

Want to tweak your goodnight scene? Well, prepare for all of your lights to shut off and your doors to lock because you can't edit it without activating it...

Really flipping dumb.

7 Likes

It's your right to have your opinion and preferences. I find it genius. With RL, I can edit scenes, but I have to activate them to see them in action, go back to change values like dimming, maybe colour, try again and again. Possibly my bulb is a little out of the standard and red is more like orange and so on, and I have to try it out. That is flipping dumb for me. In HA, I see every setting as I set up my scene and if the door closes it closes, after saving the scene it opens again. The hand full of scenes I have set up until now are fine, and I don't feel a need to go back on them again. The setup period will not affect my life :wink:

It's genius until you have an alarm, door, or lock change states when you don't really want them to. Hubitat's re-capture button lets you set your lights as you want within the scene settings without activating all the devices within the scene.

3 Likes

OK, in extreme cases it may be a potential problem. Potential because you can preview it and temporary deactivate the siren in HA during setup. My intention is not to glorify the HA scenes because I like their approach. We are on an HE community forum, and It's fine to prefer RL. I still like HE.

Nothing should EVER activate unless asked to/as designed to. They could just as easily made editing editing only and put a test or activate button the scene page... Then people could have it both ways.

5 Likes

If HA users want that, they can open a request, :wink: I'm fine with both. EDIT: The request is already opened.

By using scenes, you ask for that (If you know what you do) . You can use script to archive the same effect in just a view more minutes and a less flexible and visual way.

That's one way to look at it... I would say that by using scenes you HAVE TO tolerate the 'feature' that you can't edit it without activating it.

Yes it is still a choice, but it doesn't mean people like/prefer it that way.

Anyway, each to their own. I stand by my opinion that it is a very unintuitive and flat out dumb design decision. And that's why I have exactly 1 scene, and it is something that I don't need to edit/modify regularly.

I've said my piece. I'll shut up about this now.

1 Like

I use Habitat as my main because HA just doesn't have a dashboard as good as Joe Pages HD+. I use Home Assistant device bridge to bring over some devices to Habitat. I especially have been enjoying ESP32 stuff. I use it for whole home Bluetooth for some switchbot stuff. Lately I have become interested in the written they have been doing on whole home audio and voice assistant, which are both local.

In the long run if/when they mail down voice assistant and whole home audio I may convert to HA entirely, though maybe share back to Hubitat for my dashboard.

I'm more Apple orientated, and HD+ is for Android. I have nice dashboards for Hubitat, but it is a pain to find the connectors for CSS and to get something nice. The other downside is that loading a dashboard when you link a main dashboard to other ones takes some seconds. I've built some dashboards in HA to try it with very little YAML code and they are pleasant and work like a charm. They resize automatically on different devices. I agree that mine on HE are nicer but they took a ton of time to build, are difficult to change and do not resize, meaning I have every dashboard one for the tablet and one for the phone.

Here is one of the HA dashboards I created for test purposes :

It controls heating ( a group of 2 TRVs), cooling (a HVAC block from Panasonic) shows stats about min, max and average temperature, light scenes and individual lights. For groups of bulbs like the dining table, I have a small tilting control that reveals every individual bulb.

In the next version I will include heating and cooling in a single conditional card and just show one of these cards depending on the summer/winter mode.

1 Like

And the auto resized phone version :

1 Like

No VM on this one. I have the QNAP TS-832PXU-RP-4G. So limited to the container. For VM's though I have 7 blades now on my rack running a mix of Hyper V and Vmware servers. I could throw up a VM on there. But honestly... That's just getting to much when Hubitat does the majority of what I need (along with my lutron and hue bridges)

I found this works better Xiaomi Miot Auto

1 Like