Help with Lutron integration

Thanks for the code for free shipping, that saves a bunch!

1 Like

13 out of a target of 49 devices installed and operating. 5 more sitting on the dresser, 5 on the way from another forum member, 3 more on the way from EA (with free shipping, thanks Ryan). That will put me past the halfway point :sunglasses:

1 Like

What are the configuration options for the wired dimmers? I know there's a way to set the range manually. What about configuring on/off functionality? Can you use a wired switch to stay always-on and use the buttons to control smartbulbs instead?

Not sure if it's possible but why bother with an expensive dimmer when you could do the same with a cheaper Pico in a wall plate after wiring the load directly to line.

Here's what a Pico in a wall plate looks like btw. Love it!

3 Likes

For anyone who's interested, I just got my local Home Depot store to price match Energy Avenue.

**edit - I've now made 3 separate trips to two different stores and gotten a successful price match each time.

6 Likes

Well I was planning to take my time on this conversion and roll it out in 5 or 6 phases over 6 months to split up the cost, but here I am 1 month later and finished. Loving it so far :sunglasses:

11 switches
19 wall dimmers
2 plug-in dimmers
8 fan controls
9 picos

49 devices + hub = 50 device limit...exactly the number I needed...worked out perfectly.

3 Likes

Do the "regular" (lighting) Picos work with the new Fan Controllers?

That's a good question. I assume via Hubitat they would certainly work. But I am guessing you're asking about a Lutron Pico direct to Lutron Fan Controller mapping? I'd like to know that too...:thinking:

Yes, I would think it would work as a Hubitat device. I just wondered if Lutron did anything to prevent a "regular" Pico from pairing up with the new ceiling fan controller . . . or is it just a Pico with a nice little fan engraved on the keys?

Interestingly, ceiling fans do not show up in the list of devices you can associate to a normal Pico in the Lutron app. So it looks like it'll have to be done through Hubitat unless they do some kind of update.

Booooooo! :wink:

Looks like the Fan Pico part number is PJ2-3BRL-GWH-F01.

1 Like

I wonder if you can associate them directly without the app before pairing it to the Lutron Hub. I haven’t installed my 2 yet but will give
It a try with a 5 button Pico.

1 Like

Excellent. Let us know what you learn!

@Eric.C.Miller, @destructure00, @ogiewon I can confirm that the standard dimmer Pico (PJ2-3BRL) pico does work with the fan controller IF you pair it directly with the fan control prior to pairing the fan control to the Lutron Hub. To do this you follow the instructions for "Without a smartphone or tablet" and hold the bottom fan control button for 6 seconds until the LEDs blink and then hold the bottom button of the Pico for 6 seconds as well. Once paired, On, Off, and the up and down buttons control the fan!

4 Likes

Good to know. Thank you!

That's great!

Thank you!

I saw Lutron is making a Pico that is specific to the fan controller as well. Not sure if there is any difference besides the fan icons on the buttons.

Probably recognized as a fan controller in the Caséta app. Wouldn’t be any different in HE though. Pico can control anything in HE. What’s printed on the buttons have no effect on the capability.

I can't say because I don't own one, but I think there is potential for a difference in how the buttons send hold events. Since the level up/down buttons aren't actually controlling a dimmer or speaker volume, they might have changed how the "repeat on hold" operates. This is pure speculation on my part though....just food for thought.

1 Like