Has anyone noticed it’s hard to find a Zigbee outdoor smart plug?

Has anybody else had a problem finding a Zigbee outdoor smart plug? I tend to like the Enbrighton Z-wave smart plugs, but I switched to Zigbee and I cannot locate them anywhere! I don’t really care what brand it is as long as it’s good. I would rather have energy monitoring as well, but I’d take just a regular outdoor Zigbee smart plug! I am actually waiting with bated breath for the INNR SP234 15a indoor switches as well!

I did put in my email address to notify when the Enbrighton plugs are back in stock but I’m disappointed that I can’t find anything.

TIA
Jann

@Jann If you have a standard outlet box outside you can simply use a zigbee receptacle provided the outdoor enclosure is in good shape. I use several around my porch as well as z-wave) . I know it won't be a double outlet as only 1 outlet is controlled, but it might be an option for you.

2 Likes

this seems to work ok ...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPY2KRHH?th=1

Also try outdoor box ..
https://www.amazon.com/TayMac-MM410C-Weatherproof-Receptacle-Protector/dp/B001JEPX44/

First: @rlithgow1 Thanks for the receptacle idea. I got burned once with a Z-Wave receptacle and had skipped past that thought in my head even though the outlet(s) i'd be replacing are both z-wave receptacle-outlets and inside a weatherproof box!

Looking at this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Zigbee-Outlet-Controlled-Compatibile-Assistant/dp/B0C725G6TJ/

@WarlockWeary I have INNR SP224 plugs inside weatherproof containers for use outdoors right now but they are so huge to plug in and I had to buy a 1' three prong to get it to work... ie: 1' three prong cable to inside of box, plug 224 into that, then plug controlled device into 224... Just so costly and huge to have where people can see them.

I also was just wondering why - all of the sudden - the Enbrighten Zigbee outdoor line is like KAPUT!

Thanks to both of you. Gonna try that receptacle and will report back.

Jann

Have in mind, that this is a Tuya device, these typically do not have UL certification, if this matters for you.

It is interesting that the information that is visible when browsing this Amazon page from my mobile differs worm what I see on a PC browser ..

This table is missing in Chrome browser:

So there is a statement "Specification Met : ETL" which is probably not the same as being ETL certified, but is something... Like the CE mark that we look for in Europe.

Update 2: Connectivity Technology: Bluetooth. USB ???
I wouldn't trust this seller, they obviously do not know what they sell ...

1 Like

JUST cancelled it. I require safety - especially in a device I use outside! Thanks!!!

OOOHHHHH!
I discovered these! Legrand Netatmo units! They work w/the generic driver according to this link within hubitat: Legrand Radiant WNRR15WH Smart Outlet (Fingerprint) - #10 by scottgu3

And they sell on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Legrand-Radiant®-Compatible-Assistant-WNRR15WH/dp/B09GDGF2TW

cULus Listed (UL Canada and US).

What do you think, @kkossev?

1 Like

Minoston Z-Wave plugs are small and fit within an outdoor enclosure. I use them in a couple outdoor enclosures on my house and they fit.

1 Like

If I wanted to re-try Z-Wave in my system, I'd try those. BUT SOMETHING happened in my neighborhood and Z-Wave became unreliable about 6 months ago.

It's not the hubitat's issue. Tracked freq's down in the house and outside and it's def something in the neighborhood having issues with the frequencies in use by Z-Wave. Massive spikes that interfere w/communications. The only Z-Wave things that work reliably are my three Yale Z-Wave locks - and I'm gonna change those out to Zigbee when I can locate the red Zigbee adapter for my locks...

Thanks, though.

1 Like

Legrand is one of the most reliable and reputable brands here.

2 Likes

Okay. Just clicked the Check Out on Amazon!

1 Like

Having a US subsidiary Legrand US | Delivering and Managing Power, Light, and Data should be a guarantee for reliability and safety as well.

1 Like

I really appreciate your opinion... thanks!

I will check back after I get the units installed (~Nov 2nd delivery).

Try finding either a Zigbee or Z-Wave outdoor dimmer. I ended up leaving the HE ecosystem for this application and bought Treatlife WiFi a few years ago.

https://a.co/d/7QXDDGp

One is for the soffit lights that are way too bright.

The other is for the gazebo party lights that are also too bright at night.

There might be Zigbee or Z-Wave outdoor dimmers now.

@Jann

You might have a strong 900 MHz transmitter nearby.

Some utilities that ChatGPT says could be culprits :

The 900 MHz frequency band is used by various utilities and services in the United States and around the world for communication and data transmission. Some of the utilities and services that may use this frequency range include:

1. Industrial, Scientific, and Medical (ISM) devices: Many non-licensed, low-power ISM devices use the 900 MHz band for various purposes, including wireless data transmission, remote monitoring, and control.

2. Private radio systems: Some private radio systems and wireless data networks, particularly in industrial settings, use the 900 MHz band for their communication needs.

3. Wireless sensors and telemetry: Utilities and industries often deploy wireless sensors and telemetry devices in the 900 MHz band to monitor and control various processes, such as water and gas utilities.

4. IoT (Internet of Things) devices: Some IoT devices and smart home devices use the 900 MHz band for communication, especially if they use technologies like Z-Wave or proprietary protocols.

5. Some point-to-point and point-to-multipoint communication systems: Wireless communication systems that require longer-range connectivity may use the 900 MHz band for reliable data transmission.

It's important to note that the specific frequencies and regulations may vary by region and country, so the use of the 900 MHz band for various utilities and services can differ depending on local spectrum allocations and licensing.

1 Like

@TomG, I just saw this posting (thanks for posting it - I don't know why I didn't get a notification).

I found out the culprit! The water and the electric meter were both updated to smart tech - which uses the frequency ranges that our Z-Waves were utilizing. To test, me and 9 neighbors got together and made the water and power company come out and turn them off for a week - citing Florida law stating that their smart tech installations can NOT interfere with local consumer products - and if it does they can face "sanctions"!

After turning them off, 2 days later my neighbor's Z-Wave network started operating quickly again and 3 people's door locks were able to be used with their home automation system.

They're back on now, and Zigbee is not affected still, but Z-Wave is screwed again.

We're debating on how to handle this...but thanks for the info!

PS: The Legrand WNRR15WH's work BEAUTIFULLY on Zigbee. A b*tch to set up cos you have to wire them in, but they've yet to lose communication!

Jann

1 Like