Groups and Scenes

Log does show....2018-11-07 11:15:53.392:debugsetColor: [hue:33.66, saturation:100, level:50, rate:1]

If I use my RM rule to watch movie (my original method), the lights work. The log says......
dev:82018-11-07 11:18:52.174:debug on()

What driver are you using? The problem may be that hue 33.66 is not a valid value for hue. The driver is returning that value to capture, and then activate is passing it on.

Go into Adjust Scene, and change that value to 33 or 34. That should make it work.

It didn't work.
I am using the Fibaro RGBW Controller (FGRGBWM-441)

I don't know what is going on with that driver. Is that a custom driver? It must not conform to our standards for drivers. Looking again at your log from above, the driver is reporting hue:0, and yet the Scene has hue 33.66. Something is off with the way setColor works in that driver.

Yes it is a custom driver. I know from the author that he is still working on this driver working correctly. However I have to alternative but to use it since HE has not published a driver for it. In fact there is little support for Fibaro devices or alarm panels commonly used with HA at this point.

I am a bit confused but Groups and Scenes.

If I create a group of lights (ie all the bulbs in my office) and then I try to setup various scenes (different colors, levels etc) it only seems to capture the first scene then the other captures say it's captured "off".

My thought would be - I create a group ... then I can create different scenes with that group. Is that incorrect.

Or are Scenes just groups with the ability to capture?

Groups and Scenes are two different animals. A Group is a group of devices that follow a master virtual device. A Scene is a group of devices that you capture the states of, and then activate that state later through some means.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean here. Scenes are the state of the lights in the group or just a bunch of lights, not necessarily in a group. The easiest thing to do is clone and then adjust the clone. You can certainly change individual light settings and then capture another scene, but the clone procedure is much simpler.

If you have Philips Hue, it might be more familiar to relate a group to a Hue Room. Similar concept, in that you can turn it on and it remembers the last state of the devices in the group when you toggle on/off, but you can adjust the brightness and if available, the color and all lights in the group follow that. Except that HE groups also let you adjust duration of the change (where supported by the device) and you can adjust them from RM of course.

A scene is a captured state of devices so you can always return to those settings of the scene for the lights, dimmers and switches in the scene. Scenes can be activated by manual control or RM, but not adjusted by manual control with a virtual or physical device and RM can activate a scene.

@bravenel What I don't understand about RM and scenes is how to deactivate a scene from RM. In devices, I can turn a scene ON and OFF, but don't see how I would turn off devices in a scene once activated from RM, other than to specify OFF for each individual device. e.g. What's the easy way to do this?

Each Scene creates two devices, a capture device and the Scene activation device (has same name as Scene app instance). Unless the Scene is setup to disregard off, you can simply turn off that device. The device has both on/off and push (push is only for activation). Note that turning off a Scene turns off every device in the Scene.

There are other use cases where off is disabled for a Scene. One can turn the switch off, but it does nothing. Also, this is a weird switch that you can turn on even if it is "on". The state of the switch reveals whether or not every device in the Scene is set to the Scene setting. If you have 4 devices turned on by a Scene, and turn one of them off, the Scene activation switch will be off. If you turn it on, that one device will come back to the Scene setting.

1 Like

Thanks. I'm still not able to wrap my head around the capture device and why that is exposed to us. When I try any of its buttons, they don't do anything.

Also, if I'm able to just toggle a scene on/off because it's available as a virtual device, why then do we need activate scene in RM? What the use case for "Switch to disable scene" in the scene settings? Isn't setting a scene to off the same thing?

The capture device causes the Scene to capture the settings of its devices. You might want to do this with a Pico for example. So the Pico could be setup to push that capture button. You can capture from the app, or with the device.

Scene activation from RM is simply for convenience in the UI. All it does is turn on the activation switch. But if you didn't have that option, then the UI presentation would be for every switch in your system, from which you'd have to pick out the Scene activation device. By making it a separate action, you are presented with the list of defined Scenes instead.

1 Like

Cool feature! However, the use case alludes me. Scenes are pre-defined states I want to return to. Why would I want to capture them with a Pico? I could see how useful it would be to capture the state of a group, but a scene I can't think of when I would want to capture it's state more than once, for the possible purpose of creating a new scene, but then again I wouldn't do that. I would clone and adjust the cloned settings for my new scene.

Suppose you have a Scene, and you want to adjust it. You could do that in the app. But, suppose that's not a convenient way to do it. Tweak, press Pico button. Done.

2 Likes

Isn't the difference between groups and scenes that groups ALL HAVE THE SAME SETTINGS, on/off together and if dimmers are all set at the same #

Oh, BTW: Scene Per Mode is the bomb! This is the most powerful automation. Unlike dimmer per mode, each Scene can be a different set of devices in whatever state they should be. Want to turn on a bunch of lights at sunset? Turn off a bunch of things at night? Etc. Both RM and Motion Lighting support Scene Per Mode.

1 Like

@bravenel I deleted a scene from the app, it no longer shows in the device listing, but it still shows up as an available scene in "activate scene" in RM? Is there some trick to getting it to delete properly?

Well the scene per mode is fantastic. I agree. We're approaching Lutron RA2 type capabilities here.

The scene capture device still seems edge case to me. Would you consider adding an option to Groups and Scenes to hide individual scene capture devices from the devices list, or can I simply delete them without consequence?

Did you drill down into the rule where it is selected?