Groups and Scenes

I think that's a reasonable concern. The issue is that other control systems have gone the other way on group state. So Hubitat stands out.

I think if you document the behavior well that can mitigate the issue. Lutron does a really good job of documenting different keypad button behavior starting on page 7 of this document. Think of Lutron keypad LED state as the equivalent of Hubitat group (or scene) state.

2 Likes

This is because a Group switch is merely a means of commanding the group. It does not, nor was it ever intended to, nor could it, reflect the state of the group.

Ok, thank you for the explanation. Then I'm clearly on the lookout for a different app :slight_smile: Might write it myself in the future.

You could do this with a fairly simple rule in RM.

I actually made a solution with [RELEASE] Switch Bindings
That works for me too, since it will only sync dimmer lever and on/off state between 2 lights and a virtual dimmer and doesn't sync hue and saturation. So if I use the lights individually now in a scene (different hue and all) a person would still be able to turn them off as a "group" with one switch. But thanks for the help though! And I'm aware that almost everything can be accomplished with RM :slight_smile: You made sure of that! :smile:

I don't have any smartbulbs with color, so I haven't implemented it. Would it be useful to have Switch Bindings also sync hue and saturation? I might be able to code that in next week.

Only if you also code a way to NOT make them sync. Because now I use it because it doesn't affect hue and saturation. But that is that me. And then again, I can always not update to that version since this version works fine for me.

That's a good idea. I could add toggles to turn off certain property syncs.

1 Like

I'm seeing this as well. Set a Hue RGBW to 2000K on the device page, it decides to use 2032K. Set it to 2032K, it lands on 2049. 6500 -> 6535 and so on. The Scenes are never recognized as being "set" because the Hue bulbs never land on the right CT. The Lightify strips behave correctly. Might just be a Hue thing.

1 Like

I'm new to HE and working with multiple Hue bridges (77 lights total) and Alexa. Trying to figure out Scenes and this is EXACTLY the issue I've encountered. Anyone have a solution to this? If all the functionality works aside from the annoying "(Not Set)" indicator I suppose this is something I can live with. Curious for thoughts on whether it is a waste of time to build Scenes in HE when I can use Routines in Alexa. The Alexa Routines were not executing across multiple light groups consistently which is why I started trying Scenes in the first place. Should this work any better?

I have had better performance off loading the work to Hubitat where possible vs having Alexa control each device individually. I had a shutdown everything group where Alexa would control each device. Then I just created the group in HE and now Alexa sends just one command. Gone is the annoying "I'm not sure what went wrong" even though everything worked.

Did you try disabling the "Enable on/off optimization" switch in the groups that are giving you trouble? I had a couple of groups that contained other groups that were giving me a bit of trouble and this cleared it right up.

My reference to "multiple light groups" above was to the Hue "Rooms" that I imported into HE with the integration skill. Not "Groups" created in HE. That said, I isolated another variable in the form of Wi-Fi extender pods. The issues with my hue lights (via Alexa, via Hubitat) seem to have started after I installed multiple pods throughout the house. I'm going to unplug and see if this helps at all.

@bravenel, I have a little feature request if it's possible: startLevelChange and stopLevelChange for the groups. Thank you in advance!

Tried this, but the lag doesn't lead to a favorable result.

Ok, thank you.

You could have the following group/scene states:

1. Off
  2. Offish (less than 50% of devices in groups are on)
  3. Onish (more than 50% of devices in group are on)
  4. On

I use an app on Smartthings that does it this way

This might have been brought up before, but when I create a scene that has a mixture of lights being turned ON and others to OFF, switching the scene on, will not turn off the lights (colored bulbs and dimmers). Only if I trigger the scene's off button, will these lights turn off.

For example, I configured a test scene with:
LIGHT1, off, dimmer 50

Activating the scene will ignore the off setting and dim the light to 50.

I tried editing the scene settings and select "off" from the drop-down for the devices I want off, but that didn't do the trick. They still only go off when the off button is pushed.

Wouldn't it be better if triggering a scene was done with a momentary button that has no on/off state but acts as a simple push button. Then whatever lights are set to off or on will function as such.

Another request would be that - when editing a device/light's settings in a scene to OFF -, the remaining parameters for color and dim level will be disabled so that the OFF setting takes priority and ignores the other settings, thus OFF means off :slight_smile:

There is a reported bug outstanding with this. Will be fixed in the next release. I'm afraid that a scene that is adjusted will not turn things off as expected.

The scene activator device has a button that can be pressed to activate the scene. It is also possible to disable the off side of the activator switch. The problem about an element of the scene not turning off is not related to the activator device.

This is the way it is supposed to work, but for the bug mentioned above.

Got it. Thanks!