Google home support

Both of my are ported so I don't doubt it. StelPro Ki for my baseboard heat and 2gig CT100 for the furnace/ac.

So I set my CT100 to the generic driver to see. Even more interesting. House initially set at 67deg heatsetpoint and 75deg cooling setpoint. Issue the command to set the "House Thermostat" to 66 degrees. I ended up with a heating setpoint of 63 (cooling didn't change) and a 'thermostatSetpoint" of 66. Looked on the actual thermostat and it's showing 63 deg setpoint. I asked for it to be raised to 67 again and the heatsetpoint went up to 64. themostatSetpoint went to 67.

If you have to use a ported driver to support your device, then you might try creating a RM rule to follow a virtual thermostat. Then get Google Home to adjust the Virtual Thermostat.

I'm using the CT100 as well.

I have a Telguard GDC1 for my garage door. It pairs as a simple on/off switch. So I can say "turn garage door on" to open it. Google is smart enough to understand commands like "open the garage door". Very cool.

I've also noticed much flexibility in other commands. "turn on dresser lamp", "turn on the dresser light" "Turn the dresser lamp on" all result in positive actions.

I'm so far pretty impressed.

As far as thermostats, I've given up trying to get Hubitat to accurately control my ecobee. I am leaving that connected to ST and they have native GH support so it works perfectly.

google home has a native nest integration so im just using that...since any nest api is 100% cloud based anyways.

1 Like

That was my thinking as well. Google home has native Ecobee support wich does almost everything I'd want to do with it (but not quite). There are some complex situations that I still use webCoRE for.

Centralite Pearl, Generic Zigbee Thermostat Driver.

Control works via other integrations (IE: Sharptools)

1 Like

I've written a custom device type handler for my whole home audio equipment, but it shows up as a switch/dimmer in Google Home. Is there something that needs to be specified so Google Home can control the volumes and tracks for the device?

they won't, those device types aren't supported.

Currently Google doesn't provide that capability in the integration API. Best integration I've managed with Google Home for my Squeezebox based music system is to use IFTTT to create Google Assistant commands that invoke a REST service on HE that calls commands on the player devices. I can advise further if you're interested in giving that a go

1 Like

As for locks, based on the email Google just sent out there are clearly some locks that work.

1 Like

OK. So I was just on Google Home support chat trying to find out what locks are supported. I don't think they can pull up a master list or they won't. He (or it maybe) started with...

John
9:47 PM
Schlage Lock Company, Sesame Lock , Alarm.com.

To my surprise he or it didn't list the Nest x Yale lock, but came back with "it works seamlessly" when I asked. I asked about additional locks but they want to check one at a time, and I don't have time for that. So if you want to know, you ask them via chat.

Oh, wait...they came back with some more

John
9:59 PM
I have additional locks here that you can consider : Vivint , Watchman door , Home8 , Nuki Home Solutions GmbH.

1 Like

Oh, and by the way August is one of the supported locks. I just added mine. Finally had enough with HomeKit automation just randomly failing, so I'm using Google Assistant Relay to open and close my August lock via their WiFi bridge. Yes it's cloud, but it works and I have to say, Google Home and August cloud are both really reliable.

If anyone is interested, I use

[CC] hey google, unlock the back door with security code ######

and

[CC] hey google, lock the back door

Really works well and is fast enough for the back door.

The [CC] prefix is a way of sending silent commands to Google Assistant using Google Assistant Relay.

Anyone else using a Google Assistant routine to change modes? I have the night routine set to change Hubitat to night mode. This works, but the assistant always reports that there was an issue running the routine.

1 Like

I've always used a switch for this (Good night) on ST and here. I use that switch to run a rule and that rule does multiple things (including setting the mode)

Also in Google assistant you can couple this to the Assitant's already built in "Goodnight" routine by setting this switch to be turned on when you say "Ok Google, Goodnight" along with other assistant functions (like tell you the weather..etc). To me it's a really clean way of doing it.

Yes, I've done the same however since the Hubitat Google Home integration directly supports changing modes, I figured I'd try that route.

The mode change can also be directly tied to a Google Assistant routine like you mention, which is how I'm using it.

I too have found virtual switches to be 100% reliable with both of the assistants. Anything else is subject to the occasional or frequent “Sorry [device X] is not responding”, and yet they perform the action anyway.

1 Like

If you driver uses the "Switch Level" capability to modify the volume, then you should be able to control it through GH as a dimmer. I.e. "Set Whole Home Audio to 50%".

1 Like

How are you changing the Hubitat mode via Google Assistant? When I try to ask my GH to change to Day mode or Night mode it always says it doesn't understand. I think you have to use a virtual switch. Then in your Assistant Routine, you would command the switch to turn on rather than the changing of the mode. That's probably why your routine never finishes correctly.