Google home support

With the new dashboard and IFTTT integrations things are coming along great. So I figured it was time to see if we could get an update on Google Home integration.

This is now the only reason my ST hub is still plugged in. Everyone in the family loves to control everything with voice. Like magic, lol.

3 Likes

We know this is a high priority for users. Hang in there. Even Rome wasn’t built in a day.

3 Likes

No problem at all, just nice to hear that it is being worked on. You guys are doing a great job, looking forward to what the future holds!

3 Likes

Yeah, this is a big one for me too. I’m totally sold on Hubitat and can’t wait to finish migrating over to it.

In the mean time, you can always use IFTTT to tie your Google Home to Hubitat.

2 Likes

And 6 minutes after you get it all setup, Patrick will release the feature you’ve been waiting for. :wink:

6 Likes

Question about this. Do I create a custom Google Assistant command for each light on & off? Or is there an easier way to do it?

Yeah, you just set up the Assistant applet to issue a voice command and then do whatever in the hubitat skill.

It’s a bunch of manual setups but for simple things its pretty quick to set up the If this then that for the assistant.

So in the meantime we use IFTTT to configure the voice commands. But do you still try to have full integration with Google? And do you think that this could work in the near future or if the steps with Google are very complicated?

We can’t give out specifics to when but our plan is to support google home natively.

If people want to do basic stuff with it, IFTTT works today.

1 Like

Just ordered my Hubitat - excited for it. But adding my voice to those asking about google home integration. Wont be able to switch over until the boss (wife) can tell google to do things. In terms of time frame, are you guys thinking weeks, months, year?

Right now, you can use ifttt to do almost anything with custom trigger words.

Google home is a high priority for us.

As Google Home and Echo's are on sale again, was just about to pick one up to start playing with the port @ogiewon did for the Google Home Assistant Relay Driver. Just curious if we're close to having TTS via Cast that @mike.maxwell mentioned was in the works, and ideally full integrated support for Google Assistant?

Does anybody else look at the Google Home app almost daily to see if Hubitat is listed?! Last piece to be able to turn the 'other' hub off.

All those wasted cycles just so I can talk to the house :grin:
app:52018-07-09 20:24:04.644:debugSmartThings Response: Success (Updated 75 Devices)
app:52018-07-09 20:23:59.179:debugSending 75 Devices to SmartThings

2 Likes

Short answer, No. I have two Echos. But I do hope support is on its way soon. Having said that, I found that I really only needed to program a handful of lights with IFTTT applets to control them, because the Hue lights and the two iDevices products I have are already Google Assistant compatible. Will be nice to have faster control from Google Assistant, but I must admit that the Google Assistant > Hubitat applets are really fast (there's a 3 second delay). If I didn't have Echos I wouldn't be satisfied with that 3 second delay, but it's serviceable.

I am really enjoying the Google Assistant Relay driver @ogiewon ported, and I love that is gives me another avenue to control unsupported devices. I have it announcing doors, laundry status, and I can ask for status update and get a response. I know that status reporting is possible with Alexa, but not so easy to setup. I generally like the experience interacting with Alexa better than Google Assistant, but Google has really surpassed them in many ways.

I used to check daily.... but now its more like weekly... Still waiting for a "top priority" app to be developed

2 Likes

Can't explain why it's so fast, but when I asked Alexa twice to run my goodnight sequence last night, it responded with "goodnight", but did nothing. I then ran the goodnight sequence on Google Home and it shut everything down in roughly 0.5 a second!

Why this is so surprising is, Google's cloud is talking to IFTTT's cloud, IFTTT's cloud is talking to Hubitat's cloud, which is tripping a virtual switch, and that is running a HomeKit automation that turns on a HomeKit Goodnight scene. That good night scene is turning off Homebridge HomeKit switches that are turning off Insteon switches and an iDevices switch. This all happening simultaneously in half a second (no popcorn effect) is astounding.

@patrick
Is there any update on this? Google Home support is the last thing I have running on my SmartThings. Perhaps we could get an estimate as far as versions like we’ve seen for the Lock Manager? (I believe it was mentioned not for next .12 but possibly version after .13)

I’m aware of IFTTT support but am looking for native support.

Thanks.

If I understood a Facebook post correctly, the integration is currently in a validation phase at Googles (?) end. So, fingers crossed I guess. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm craving, jonesing, coveting, needing, desiring, lusting, longing, yearning for the Google Assistant integration. It is a huge part of how we control our home and I have to have it before I cut over.

This afternoon I put a scene controller and a handful of lights on the Hubitat. The speed was incredible. In fact, the buttons worked so well on the scene controller that commands were queuing up for the lights. I had never seen that before. Normally with fast button clicks on the scene controller pushes would be lost. All pushes registered and the hub just queued up a long set of commands to send to the bulbs as the bulbs reported back each successful command.

I did not realize how good local processing would be until today. I must have it.

2 Likes