Getting Started with Hubitat's Elevation Hub Q&A for Novices and Newbies (IMHO)

The HE can integrate with some systems allowing you to arm/disarm.. and maybe get info on certain devices which is still useful.

1 Like

As long as you understand, and convey to others, that this off-label use is entirely at the enduser's own risk.

2 Likes

The same is true for health stuff - anything potentially medical or emergency related is better left to systems dedicated to it.. The power of HE in these areas is integration, information, and automation.

1 Like

If you mean zigbee 3.0, the hub is not zigbee 3.0 compliant. It uses the Zigbee Home Automation v1.2 profile. Zigbee 3.0 end devices will work just fine with Hubitat because the 3.0 spec requires backwards compatibility with ZHA 1.2.

There are several built-in apps that have a different focus from Basic Rules but are still much simpler to use than Rule Machone. Notifications, Hubitat safety monitor. button controller, thermostat scheduler all come to mind. As does Motion Lighting (a little more complex but less so than RM).

Is “The Dog” a dog? Or something else? The use of capitalization and quotes is confusing.

I would add that if you are lured by the siren song of cheap HA devices over on Aliexpress and other sites choosing Zigbee 3 is recommended due to the supposed backwards compatibility.. (which doesn't always work as advertised shockingly).

One other very useful item is to install the community built "Hubitat Package Manager" app. Helps with installing and keeping community drivers/apps up to date..

2 Likes

I need to clarify that this topic was written without any knowledge of Hubitat's avoidance in
using HE for home security. That's why I put (IMHO) in the topic title which means IN MY HUMBLE OPINION! :wink:

1 Like

I think we all understood that, no one is having a go at you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I'd echo @Inge_Jones 's point, don't take the comments re security personally. You have some of the longer serving and respected members of the Community providing their input on the topic, so take it as them offering some historical context and knowledge on how the system is best used, rather than any kind of personal attack.

Another thing to bear in mind, and this may not have been the motivation for those who have responded so far, is that the discussions here are public and can serve as research for new customers, so it is important to be mindful of that. Not to say we can't make claims that may turn out to be incorrect, more so that we should be accepting of those wanting to provide an accurate portrail of the uses for HE, both in terms of what the business have advertised and the practicalities of how the product can be used.

Anyway, I've probably laboured that point more than I needed to....

But ... I'd also add that a healthy discussion on points that you raised and seeing those challenged in some way can be just as constructive for new users

2 Likes

Still wondering more about ”The Dog.” Cause right now I’m picturing something like this:

:dizzy_face:

3 Likes

Does it do security?

So we incorporated this dope into HE... When my 4 year old opens his door after 7:30 and tries to escape, it sends a pushover message with the [H] tag to send a specialized alarm tone and a message that says "kid is escaping! Release the hounds" This one reacts to that tone and tracks the kid down no matter where in the house he is and pins him until we get there and put him back to bed. (This also has the added benefit of when he takes off, so does my other dog because he knows something fun is happening) As for intruders? Both my dogs would offer them a nice Port and a cigar then show them where the valuables are kept...

3 Likes

Coming back to the original post....

In terms of general recommendations I would second @erktrek 's suggestion re HPM (don't let the BETA tag bother you... None of us do :slight_smile: ). As close to essential as you can come in my book... Probably a close tie with the Hub Info driver by @thebearmay....

Which leads onto your question about troubleshooting.... Alongside using Hub Info to assess and trigger automations based on memory and CPU usage or temperature, there are other built-in pages for looking at your Zigbee network, general device and app logs and resource usage statistics, plus others I have probably forgotten. There are also various Community apps and drivers that can help assess the availability of other hubs using PING, general device health and the status of your Internet connection.

I am all for making the introduction to home automation and in particular HE as easy as it can be. And can understand those who may see what can seem a lengthy read imposing in order to get something simple setup. I look at it another way..... There is a wealth of knowledge captured here. And to find that on your own can be daunting and not the best use of your time. But asking a question on the Community provides an opportunity to connect with people with a similar interest and setup. It also keeps those topics current on the Community, indicating to those that look for those things that people are still interested in those devices or services.

Simon

2 Likes

And if you ever feel overwhelmed, just look at @rlithgow1 's dog, who can feel stressed looking at them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You may also want to be careful about recommendations on electrical work. Some countries have quite strict requirements on the use of electricians, whether it be for the safety of the home-owner considering dabbling, or for insurance purposes, i.e. insurance companies not paying out on insurance if fixtures that cause a fire are not installed by a qualified electrician.

1 Like

Are you saying I can't install a molded switch/outlet in a power receptable?

1 Like

Depends on country. In the US some states/cities/counties/twp's have their own rules. For instance Where I live only the homeowner or a licensed electrician may install a switch or an outlet. A handyman or the like cannot. Yet where I lived in NJ, only an electrician legally was allowed to install either. This goes for other countries as well.

2 Likes

No one is saying you personally can or cannot do anything.

But the caveat that laws and insurance regulations differ from country to country (and even state to state in the US) is a reasonable one for everyone to keep in mind. Particularly in a thread ostensibly dedicated to making recommendations for inexperienced users.

4 Likes

Guess my UL and CE approved devices and sensors need to be installed by "THE DOG" :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:
I am giving the users, on this forum, more credit for just being able to work with the HE hub!

1 Like

May I suggest this addition to your security system?

No one in their right mind would want to come within 100 yards of that Dog.

2 Likes

When the OP was first posted I read it as a suggestion to the dev team for pinning or adding to their own documentation. So my comment about security was in that context. Of course if anyone wants to offer their own unofficial set of tips and it's clear that it is unofficial from a member of the community, well that's different.

3 Likes