GE Zigbee Dimmer

I have the Jasco/GE enbrighten Dimmers inwall. I'm using the GE Zigbee Dimmer driver - but it doesn't support pre-stage and the driver has a big problem for me. I saw dialog about HE staff worked on it or something, don't want to dredge that up -

Has anyone revisited and written a more enhanced/functional driver? Besides $60 switches to replace with, what else are you folk using for in wall, w/neutral, paddle switches of similar style that work correctly and have a better driver? pls be gentle. I have 8 of these I'd have to replace. (and no - I won't be turning on Zwave... just want to add that)

What is pre-stage?

sort of a 'set the level but don't turn on' thing.

all of my zigbee GE dimmers go bonkers if you turn that on. I tried a long time ago to report it but hit a wall so gave up getting the driver fixed - the author believes it works as expected - for me, it doesn't.

Oh i see. It would be useful if you wanted your dimmer to switch on straight to 100% like a switch.
Thanks for the explanation.

it's actually worse than that for me - Room Lighting app lets me set the value, but it doesn't work correctly. I have to issue a dimmer setting while it is on, before I turn it off for it to remember. It's a B*#$th when you get up for the bathroom at 4am and get hit with a 100% light! I want my mode to be in control of this but can't use that out of the box.

My Caseta lights don't support presaging but I have a rule that at 5 if you walk in they come on at 10% and go to 100% over the course of 15 mins. Before that I simply have my night light come on at 10% in blue. Enough that I don't miss but I don't fully wake up.

prestaging is all on the actual device, it's not a standard zigbee function, and to be honest its actually NOT supposed to work that way.
So if it works with your device fantastic, if not well, not much can be done about it.

yes. my leige.

IMG_6229

1 Like

You can automate this for all your GE zigbee dimmers as part of a routine that runs when you go to bed.

that would be one way for sure. I have to test this further to understand why it fails - it used to work pre- room lighting. I switched over, and CT and dimmers give me angst now. For now, i'm documenting to see if I can find the problem itself and using a rule as you describe.

Are you saying that pre-staging worked previously for you? Does it work from the device page? Because the drivers for these devices has not changed and is irrelevant vis-a-vis app use.

prior to room lighting the troubles weren't much issue as rules handled CT a bit differently as I recall. If it is interesting to you, give a search on my posts about it. I've moved on.

I was looking as my first post says to see if anyone had revisited and updated/replaced or improved the existing driver.

As long as you're looking at your GE dimmers, I prefer @JasonJoel's drivers, more options and settings, zero issues. (Unrelated to pre-staging, which I don't use, but wanted to mention in general.)

@danabw I totally appreciate your post - I'm using Zigbee - any chance zigbee is also listed?

Aw, darn, sorry, the drivers are all for the Z-Wave versions, unfortunately he hasn't created any Zigbee versions that I'm aware of. :frowning: