Flume integration

Thank you.

Am I on the right path that I could create a custom rule name and then use the notificationStream to filter on the rule name and trigger an action?

Yep, that's the idea. I have triggered on a change in that attribute, but I haven't tried parsing it in a rule yet. If you figure out that formatting it differently would help for parsing, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I do changed between times as the triggering condition that I described for unexpected overnight water flow.

1 Like

The usage of the notification stream and filter that as a custom attribute works fine. The problem is I am frequently getting * commStatus : error and of course the notification stream does not update and the rule fails.

Any idea on how to fix the commstatus error?

Please try enabling debug logging to see if there are any clues.

My guess is a loss of connectivity to the Flume cloud. If a periodic refresh fails it will set the commStatus attribute to error. But it will still try again in the next scheduled refresh interval.

If you wait a couple of minutes does it resolve itself? If not, what do you have to do to restore proper operation? That information plus the debug logs around the time of a failure would be helpful.

Sorry for the delay. It cleared up and has not happened again although I have seen this more than once in the past.

I just added this to the HPM and there was an update so I'll keep and eye on it and send the logs if it happens again.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

This is a really fantastic integration - thank you very much, @tomw!

If you take donations for your efforts, I'd love to contribute a few bones - this driver is a big win for Flume users!

1 Like

I am interested and following this thread. Are you guys using the Flume (Amazon $149) or the Flume2 ($199)? Differences?

I just installed a Flume 2 last night / today... It was on sale for Mem Day at amazon, so I decided what the heck...

Flume 2 seems to offer the typical benefits of a gen-2 product - better range, battery life, etc. It sounds like they'll be rolling out more granular usage data sometime in 2021 too - not sure if that will be limited to v2 or not.

As others have mentioned in this thread, the Flume support team is really great... Last night, my Flume kept hanging up on the very last setup step (sensor calibration). Their support team was out for the holiday, but I chatted with them right away this morning and they had me squared away within minutes - for whatever reason, an update to my unit didn't go thru (unbeknownst to me) during my setup - they saw that right away and pushed the update to me. Waited a few minutes for it to settle, then it all worked like a champ.

I'll always be a fan of a company with great support - these folks are all that.

1 Like

Thanks for the Info

Another question or two please. How well does the Flume driver (the one ref'd in this thread) for Hubitat work? What data does it provide etc.

I have a Flume 2. I believe this API will work with either. In fact, @JasonJoel may have had a Flume 1 if I remember correctly.

Here are the attributes that I expose in the driver:

Current States

• commStatus : good
  • notificationStream : [2021-05-31T22:16:25.000Z]: Flume Smart Leak Alert triggered at Home. Water has been running for 2 hours averaging 0.51 gallons every minute.
  • presence : present
  • usageLastDay : 166.6
  • usageLastHour : 0.0
  • usageLastMinute : 0.0
  • usageLastMonth : 5920.42
  • usageLastWeek : 1270.65
  • water : wet

The notificationStream contains the same thing that notifications in the app have. This gives you an event to react to for automations, along with the text which could be parsed.

Presence refers to the home/away status, which is a Flume setting. The native Flume app uses this to notify your emergency contacts if you are away and a leak happens. You can toggle it on and off in my Hubitat driver. I figured people might want this functionality for automations to set away mode based on location or something.

Water refers to the Flume smart leak technology. Mine is 'wet' for example because I have a slow leak alert (due to hose with leaky nozzle being left on).

It works pretty well in my experience. It requires an internet connection to connect to the Flume cloud. There is no local option, but it does use their official API, so I assume it will continue to be supported.

Thanks for the note, and I'm glad it is working for you. I do this for fun, so if you want to pay it forward then find a way to tip an extra buck for your coffee or for someone else that would appreciate it!

2 Likes

I have a flume 2. Although my sensor and bridge haven't been talking lately. :frowning: I need to get out there and troubleshoot it.

Hopefully others from this thread will be able to pipe in with experience - unfortunately, I don't much (anything) to share yet...

For now, this is a foundational step for me - it'll take some time to experience how how Flume tracks, alerts, etc and how this API integration reports all of that within Hubitat - since I just got it all running this morning, I don't have that baseline yet.

I also don't have an automated shut-off valve on my main yet (just my water heater) - I'll install an automated main eventually, but it's just not at the top of my to-do list right now.

Down the road, I primarily envision using this integration to automatically shut-off my main based on a leak alert (maybe just when away, at night, stuff like that).

For now, just excited to learn from the data for a while!

Roger that, and will do - thanks again!!

1 Like

There are a few possible options discussed in this thread: Main Water shut off Automation

1 Like

I just noticed and downloaded the update. Can someone tell me what the update was. I looked but couldn't find anything.

Per the drive code:

Change history:

1.1.2 - @robertcraft - Change usage attributes to Number
1.1.1 - @tomw - Better handling for notifications when old notifications were deleted by the Flume app.
1.1.0 - @tomw - Added PresenceSensor to represent away_mode status.
1.0.2 - @tomw - User feedback: improved notification handling.
1.0.1 - @tomw - Improved next Refresh scheduling for better reliability.
1.0.0 - @tomw - Initial release.

2 Likes

A user on GitHub proposed a change to use numbers instead of strings for the attributes. He said it was easier to use in Rule Machine with numeric comparisons this way, so I accepted the change.

3 Likes

So I just found out about Flume. It's intriguing, but I am wondering from those that use it, if they think it's something worth purchasing?