Flume integration

If I understand correctly, you're saying that you could have a slow flow lasting for an extended period of time and that if there were a 2 minute break in the flow Flume would reset the flow and start over, therefore causing a rule to not fire because of that 2 minute lull?

And, by changing the flow duration to say 5 minutes that would eliminate the potential false reporting of the small leak?

Am I correct that is the only, although very important function of this new attribute?

that you could have a slow flow lasting for an extended period of time and that if there were a 2 minute break in the flow Flume would reset the flow and start over, therefore causing a rule to not fire because of that 2 minute lull?

exactly

by changing the flow duration to say 5 minutes that would eliminate the potential false reporting of the small leak?

more so, it would allow the indication of a slow leak that might have gone undetected. or "eliminate the lack of reporting of a small leak"

Am I correct that is the only, although very important function of this new attribute?

This also introduced the flowDurationMin which calculates flow time, by using this new preference to see if there was any flow in that time period (ie 5 min in your example as opposed to just the standard refresh time which is 2 min default)

5 Likes

Thank you sir.

3 Likes

Been meaning to ask this...I never figured out what this was for...came in the box w/my Flume. What's it's porpose?

It's to open the metal cover over an outdoor meter.

2 Likes

yeah, dont be going getting any funny ideas @danabw :wink:

Right side of image

1 Like

LOL...read my mind! :wink:

Thanks, kept trying to figure out how to use it w/the Flume monitor.

@tomw @cgmckeever

Looks like I have a leak! (?)

Got a notification from Hubitat, and checked on the Flume site and...

I looked at my meter and the small triangle is rotating around and the red-needle is also moving (slowly). Pics below 10 minutes apart.

2022-02-10 13_15_08-Main

No ideas yet. Toilets are silent. Sink is silent. All irrigation is off. No one in the house but my wife and me, and she is in the office, not using any water.

I'm going to turn off the valve to my irrigation to see if there is a small leak going on outside - if water stops leaking when I close it that should tell me if it's inside or outside.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Damn, this setup seems to work. Would not have known about this otherwise.

2 Likes

so, its saying you had constant water flowing for their 2 hour indicator at a flow of .05 GPM? Thats a nice catch, but that is also a substantial volume of water .. close to 4 gallons?

Thanks, yeah.

The amount is a little confusing - the Flume reading says 8 gallons, but the meter reading isn't clear to me (at least in gallons), as the red pointer seems to say about .05 cubic meters flowed (.09 to .14) - do I read that right? So that's like 13 gallons? Not sure...

I've narrowed it down to the front yard irrigation. I have two irrigation shut-off valves, one in front for all the irrigation, and a second in the back yard that cuts off everything in the back.

Turning off main irrigation valve immediately stops the leak. Leaving the main irrigation valve on and turning off the back yard has no effect. So it's somewhere in the front yard.

I've checked all my irrigation valves (front and back) and they are silent and not leaking. So no lucky/easy diagnosis, unfortunately.

One thing I noticed - the ground around the front yard valve seemed a little moist. Not 4 to 8 gallons wet at all, but wasn't mostly dry like I would have expected. It's about a foot or more below the ground, in a green PVC column, w/a cover on it and under a layer of bark. No rain recently. So I'm wondering if there is an issue related to that valve or the piping near it. (Pic below looks dry, I think since I used my flash, but the dirt felt moister than I would have expected. But could just be cold temp of water drawing causing condensation from the ground?

It could also be on a pipe between the valves, eh? Rent a trencher, dig up the lawn. You'll definitely find it that way.

Joking aside, it's going to be tough to track down. Moist ground would likely be close to the leak, but that's not enough water to create a puddle over that period of time unless your soil drains really poorly. So, I'd start digging small holes close to the moistest part of the ground.

I was afraid you were going to say that.

How soon can you and the Hubitat Flume Go Team be over? Free drinks and chicken wings... :wink:

2 Likes

Gotta say, the coincidental timing of this is pretty interesting - only had the Flume installed a few days and boom, and actual leak, actually detected by Flume and this integration.

Kind of makes me wonder if Flume isn't sending agents around to drill holes in the pipes of new customers to make sure the customers think their investment in Flume "paid off."

I've heard our soil referred to being at (at least partly) "decomposed granite" which you'd think would drain well. However, when digging into it is like concrete. When we had a trench dug in the back yard to put a new drain system in, the backhoe (a big backhoe) was being lifted off the ground when it's bucket was trying to gouge a trench. Seriously hard stuff.

1 Like

Mysterious leak stopped, but not quite solved. :slight_smile:

I called my landscaping guy, told him I was sure it was the irrigation and could be drop by sometime soon to look at it. Luckily, he had a better idea. Told me to turn off the water into my house at the shut-off in the garage just to be sure that the irrigation water wasn't connected into the house. Turned off the garage shut-off, and bing-bing-bing, water stopped flowing, main valve showed full stop. So:

1. Not an irrigation leak
  2. My irrigation water lines are connected to lines that go to the house, which is not how I was told it was set up (by a different regretfully sloppy contractor we had hired for another job years ago). It was supposed to be a Y-split - house water on one side, irrigation on the other. As in so many other areas of the work this previous landscaper did for us, he did it the cheap and easy/sloppy way.

It got more interesting when I turned the water to the hosue back on in the garage. The leak flow did not resume. Huh? I didn't fix anything! So not sure yet what's going on, will have to monitor for a while. I've flushed our toilets and the leak flow didn't resume, so it doesn't appear to be a repeatable toilet-flap type leak.

Late 60's house so we have original plumbing in the slab (some has been redirected but not all), so hopefully not a slab leak that has temporarily stopped and will resume...already had and fixed one of those, don't want that again.

Thanks again for the help!

1 Like

The solution seems obvious- just turn water off to the whole house whenever you're not actively running the irrigation. Problem solved! I'll PM you my address so you can send those wings and drinks.

3 Likes

Wings and drinks on the way Sunday afternoon. The wings may be a little eaten, and the drinks may be a little empty. :wink:

Seeing this error repeated in logs...just me?

I don't have that entry in my logs. How frequently is it showing up?

Looks like every two minutes... Linked to the preferences settings?

Ahhh... Com status is error. I did a firmware update to one of my UniFi AP's earlier tonight. So the network would have been offline for a few minutes. The base unit in the house shows solid blue so it looks like it's connected, but maybe the unit out front didn't reconnect to the base unit. Refresh didn't help.

However, I don't see an error in the flume app, and it correctly registered some watering I did tonight.

There is an additional repeating error in log - related to authentication. Nothing has changed with my Flume Account.

Reboot of the hub fixed it.

Interesting, maybe something is iffy in the authentication flow in the driver. Initiatlize would probably have fixed it, too. I'll take a look to see if I could improve the error handling.

2 Likes

Thanks. Be interesting if anyone else could duplicate my results by turning off Wi-Fi for five minutes and then turning it back on.

Did I say how much I love this integration yet today? WAF is very high - last night she said "So no leaks, right?" I showed her the dashboard in the Flume app and told her I'm setting up specific text notifications if water is flowing when we're both gone from the house (outside of irrigation schedule) and she actually said...wait for it...

"Cool. That is a really good idea."

Boom! WAF = 100 just in time for Valentine's Day. You guys made me a super hero. :smiley:

3 Likes