Flash lights, please help

Hi.
I've been scrolling through post regarding flashing lights, and I can't figure out how to do it.
I have a HUE bridge setup with some 25 IKEA bulbs linked to it.
I would like all of the lights to flash X times when, for example, a motion sensor is triggered when I'm away.

Can anyone explain to me, in kindergarten English, or preferably in Danish how to do it? I'm relatively new here and I'm not very technical, but learning.. :wink:

Kasper

I believe your device (bulb) needs to be flash capable, otherwise flash doesnā€™t work. I ran into this myself. I have a siren with a strobe light which is capable of flashing, but my IKEA bulbs are not capable.

Someone here suggested a on/off a couple of times as a workaround...

It's the on/off solutions I've been looking at. But I'm not talented enough to make it work :blush:

I think I am in the same boat and I am unable to assist you with this. Hopefully someone will pick this up :slight_smile:

I have an app I wrote a long time ago called (suprisingly) ā€˜Flasherā€™ and ported it from ST to HE some time ago
It was pretty basic in how it works
Iā€™m looking at updating it soon but you can have a play if you want.
This does not require any special feature of the switch or bulb and just basically turns them on/off a configurable number of times.

http://hubitat.uk

Andy

1 Like

I do it like this...

I use this to flash my porch lights to indicate that the garage alarm has been armed or disarmed from a zwave remote....

I had a quick look on your website, does it provide the ability to activate a flash based on a switch or is it for timed events?

Thanks for your amazing contribution to the Hubitat community! Iā€™m using a number of your apps!

1 Like

Switch, motion, time, contact :slight_smile:

Andy

Does it consider the original state eg if lights were on/off before the flash does it return to the original state ?

Atm no.
Thatā€™s one of the reasons Iā€™m going to revisit it.
You currently have to decide to finish on or off

Iā€™ll be looking at this next week

Andy

3 Likes

I get this message when I try to install your app.

Metadata Error: Parent App 'Cobra:Cobra Apps' not found on line 49

That's because you haven't installed the cobra apps container
ATM, This needs to be done first if you want to use this app

http://hubitat.uk

Now it works, thanks.

Can I set the number of times flashed to more than 5?

Not in this version..
Next version, you will be able to enter as many as you like

Andy

1 Like

Guys,
the new version of the app is complete.
Just doing some final testing now.
In all my tests so far, bulb state has been sucessfully restored after the flash.
Also you can enter any number of flashes required.
It has also been tested with a number of different makes/types of bulbs (thanks to @Royski for his diligent beta testing as always)

However: due to discussions in this thread I am reluctant to release it just yet.

Andy

1 Like

Dissapointed by some of the negative reaction on that thread. Iā€™m using some of your apps and they are great, I value your contribution to the community and itā€™s totally understandable why you would change your license terms...

1 Like

I was surprised too to be honest.
But people donā€™t have to use anything I release so itā€™s up to the individual.

Ok..
Flasher seems to be working well so I will probably release it on Monday.
It will be released under my new license so, no doubt I will get more complaints.

It will also be released as a ā€˜stand aloneā€™ parent/child so Cobra Apps is not required.
If you want to keep it inside CA then you can just uncomment a line in the parent code.

Andy

@daniel.john.edge
Dan, thank you for your very generous contribution.
I appreciate it.

Andy

1 Like

Great stuff! Iā€™ve been faffing to try and get lights flashing and then returning to original state via RM and iā€™ve not had much success. My use case is that I use it as a visual indicator of the garage alarm being turned on/off via a remote by flashing the porch lights..

Cheers

I originally wrote it so it flashes 15 mins before we feed the dogs.. gives me time to cook it for them.
Then we have a tts announcement and they go ā€˜madā€™ about that but have not picked up on the flashing lights yet :slight_smile:

Andy

2 Likes