First Alert Zcombo Generation 2

Anytime

For anyone scratching their head on why the new driver isn’t working for them....

“Generic Z-Wave Plus Smoke/CO Detector”
And
“ Generic Z-Wave Smoke/CO Detector” look awfully similar to each other in the drop down!

2 Likes

You can actually purchase "canned smoke" to use to test detectors. I've no idea if this is a reliable way to test them:

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-2105-Liquid-Detector-Aerosol/dp/B001B3BL0S/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=canned+smoke&qid=1605997707&sr=8-2

Yes, I agree, will wonders never cease. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pack of cigarettes would be cheaper :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Shame on you for suggesting cigarettes to a minor.

(My wife is always telling me I behave like a child.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought two of these and have been wrestling with them all evening. In chronological order of what I've done...

1. The one for my kids' hallway
  • Include process went without a hitch
  • Used test button and nothing came across in the logs
  • Did some research on here and discovered maybe exclude/include would solve
  • Did an exclude, didn't work
  • Tried to do the reset procedure in the manual (hold the test button for 10 seconds... except this results in a test cycle running and so it is kind of hard to understand how to listen for the indication beep and LED glow listed in the instructions that indicate the reset was successful)
  • Tried using this old driver, didn't make a difference, switched back to the built in Generic Z-Wave Plus Smoke/CO Detector driver.
  1. The one for the master bedroom
  • Include process went without a hitch
  • Used test button and logs gave me this (I was excited - something is better than nothing!):
  1. Went back to the one for my kids' hallway
  • Did an exclude (again) - it DID work
  • Include process went without a hitch... interestingly, Hubitat did NOT recognize this as a previously paired device
  1. The one for the master bedroom

So what the heck? Can anybody help me?

@mike22 Do you have any advice, based on your experience (here)?

I'll be honest... I really struggled with the test mode on these fire alarms. I thought I had tons of problems and it wasn't reporting... but in reality it was working fine.

I'd recommend buying a can of fake smoke and actually triggering the alarm and test everything that way.

I wonder if you could test the CO detection by holding it near the exhaust of a car. :thinking:

1 Like

I tested mine with a lawnmower exhaust (snowblower would probably work also). Portable generator would also work (know this because I foolishly ran mine for a bit a few feet from a basement window opened just enough to pass a cord through; even though the opening was all taped up to prevent outside air getting in, it triggered one of the basement CO detectors-- great way to get killed. LESSON LEARNED). I think these smaller engines run dirtier (CO-wise) than cars nowadays.

I've got a pair of the Gen 2 ZCOMBO detectors that I'm setting up today to replace an expiring pair of Nest Protects. I had no problem adding them using the "Generic Z-Wave Plus Smoke/CO Detector" driver, but the one thing I can't figure out is how to create an association group so that if one goes off, the other does as well. According to the documentation, "The alarm supports one association group with up to 1 node, and sends its alarms to that group." How do I set that up in Hubitat? That association is the primary reason I bought these instead of splashing out for new Protects.

I was torn between resurrecting this thread and starting a new one and obviously decided on the former. If I should start a new thread instead, let me know. Thanks in advance.

This won't work.. For several reasons..

There is only 1 association slot and that is for the hub to get messages from the device.

The other ZCOMBOs won't be listening as they are sleepy devices and would never get a message from the other units..

1 Like

UGH. Wish I'd understood that before purchasing. I think I'm still within the return period. Thanks for the info!

Anytime

The Generic Z-Wave Plus Smoke/CO detector diver doesnt have a refresh button, however the Generic Z-Wave Smoke detector does. My alarm state got stock on detected mode when i tested de unit and i had to change to the Generic Z-Wave Smoke to refresth the state to clear. @bcopeland

Ok.. Yea.. Refresh serves no purpose on battery (non-listening) z-wave devices.. But I suppose I could put a button to clear the alarm..

3 Likes

Yeas, for my recent experience, that would be great. Thanks!!

Morning. Anyone know if these first alert devices report temperature that could then be used for a temp based rule?
TIA.

They don’t

Thanks. A gent i know kit bought a HE system to use a temp sensor to control a ZEN 16 for turning on and off fans based on temp...but the HomeSeer multi sensor he bought may be faulty....seems to throw out wild temps every now and then and picks a random temp every tine its disconnected then re connected. Looking for something he can buy locally that might report temp so he can start testing his system

It’s a battery powered smoke detector and CO first and foremost, anything else that it does would contribute to battery drain. That could be fatal if it runs out of batteries and they aren’t replaced in a timely manner.

So first alert made a good design choice by not putting other sensors in it.

1 Like