Fibaro FGK-101 reports state change in debug but otherwise nothing

It looks like that one is only handling BasicSet events for certain devices.

Until Hubitat adds support for that device to one of the built-in drivers you could use the Generic Z-wave Motion/Temperature driver. It's not ideal, but I'm sure that driver handles basicset events so it will report motion active/inactive for your device. If your model doesn't report temp then the generic motion will also work.

2 Likes

Yes, I think you're right. I'll just stick with that until, like you say, support comes along. I'm no holding my breath given the age of the device.

1 Like

Ugh, just moving over from ST and getting the same basicset issue. Frustrating.

I'm having the same problems with this device.. Curious if anyone who was having the problem got it solved? It seems there's 2 categories of this device (or people using them!) one which works fine with the v2 version of the driver, and one which doesn't. I'm sadly in the group of people which it doesn't work for!

Based on this thread, I've tried with the generic motion/temperature sensor, and I can get this to work, but only with the motion/switch closure part of the device, which I really have no use for.. I bought this device specifically for the remote temperature sensor, and it's not working. This device previously worked on my Vera, so I know hardware-wise, I'm good, and it's including / excluding consistently (although it does show a "z-wave inclusion timed out: status 7" which I assume from seeing it elsewhere in this thread can be ignored???)

Anyone have any further ideas, and/or another battery operated small device I can hook an external DS18B20 or similar sensor to? I need to submerge the sensor in the pool, which is why this device was so handy - I've got a PVC "U" shaped build, with the zwave sensor in one side and the thermometer in the other, and I just hang it over the edge of the pool.. It's been working great for years on Vera and want to move it to HE..

TIA!!

Sorry I don't have a good answer for you. I had to give up on that device, I never could get it to work. I couldn't find anything else battery powered either. I ended up using a Sonoff TH16

Thanks. This stuff really shouldn't be this hard! :slight_smile: I even connected the device with the "Basic Z-Wave Tool" driver so I could presumably see and set everything in a "debug mode" and it shows that there's a temperature sensor connected, but somehow never sends a temperature value. Very strange! I really dont want to go to a powered device if I dont have to, and if I do, it will probably be a raspberry pi or something so I can also do some more fancy stuff (Maybe lights on the deck or music, etc) but I think my next step if I can't get this thing to work is to try something completely custom, with "MySensors" or something similar. I'm a total newcomer to Hubitat but I am sure there's ways to get my own sensors connected. Just very frustrating when I have a commercial product that is supposed to do exactly what I want, but it just wont integrate!!

Anyway.. thanks for the info and help!!

OK.. I gave up..
Just for anyone else's interest, since it looks like this temperature sensor thing comes up occasionally around here and there's not a good battery powered solution..

I used an 8266 I already had lying around, and just used some code I found to read the DS18B20, and then have it sending the temperature over WIFI to the Hubitat, where I configured a "virtual thermometer". I have the 8266 go into deep sleep mode for 15 minutes in between updates, and my USB power meter showed it was using less than 0.001 amp (the lowest it's range would go) while in deep sleep, so hopefully my 9v battery will at least last the rest of the swimming season.

If anyone is interested, I'll share the code, but since I just threw it together over a couple hours this afternoon from a bunch of other sample code, it really is embarrassingly messy! :wink: I'll have to clean it up a bit!! Maybe for next year, I'll upgrade to a rechargable battery and a solar cell, and maybe make a quick circuit board for the thing so it's not on a breadboard, but for now it works, and I can even ask my alexa "what is the temperature on the pool thermometer" and it can answer, which was my entire goal!

Good deal, I'm glad you found a solution!

I hear ya about the temperature, I bet I check with Google two or three times a day :wink:

Update.. Battery didn't last too long!! I know 9v batteries kinda stink for things like this, but I had really hoped it'd last more than 2 weeks!! Definitely going to reengineer this over the winter, but at least I have the Hubitat URLs worked out - Now I just have to decide how to send the HTTP messages. I may resort to a "mysensors.org" type setup with an NRF2401 type radio since those are so low power.
Thanks again for all the help.

A little bit off topic but .....Iโ€™ve just thrown an Ecolink 4655BC0 contact sensor into a zip lock bag and dropped it into my salt water pool so it reports back the water temp.
So far so good :blush:
Itโ€™s a Thick double lock plastic bag.

That sounds like a really great idea, but I'm curious - I figured that if it's underwater enough to be reading the water temp vs. air, it may have the radio signal interfered with by the water.. That's why I had gone with a transmitter with a remote sensor. It's working though, huh?

Ha ha, sounds like we think alike.
I pondered this for a while and then figured that the ambient temps of the water and the minimal, locally trapped air, will average out and the sensor has the ability to set a reference temperature so I can โ€˜tune itโ€™ a bit.
I was watching it yesterday and itโ€™s working fine. :+1:t3:

Curious if this sensor has external contacts like some of the other Ecolink DW sensors.

Sorry no. There are no external accessible contact terminals.
-Edit: but they are easily modded. Wires can be soldered across the reed switch.

Take a look here..Door sensors: Sonoff SNZB-04 vs Ecolink 4655BC0-R

The FGK-101 is using a non standard association scheme. According to the manual group 1 will send the Basic Set, ostensibly to be able to control another device, which appears to be in line with what you are seeing.
Group 2 will send tamper alarms and group 3 will send temperature and binary reports.
By default nothing is associated to groups 2 and 3.
Not sure if this is the problem for you, but for mine it was and adding node 1 (The hub) to group 3 caused it to start sending data.
I still do not see anything in HE though, but i can at least see the Z-Wave messages with my sniffer now so that is probably another issue :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

That all SOUNDS like it's great information.. Unfortunately I dont have enough knowledge about the zwave protocol or writing device handlers for hubitat to make use of it. I'm not beyond or opposed to learning that stuff to do something about it, but I've never found any resources really teaching the troubleshooting techniques for ZW at this level. If you know of any, I'd love to get up to speed on this - I feel like I'm flying blind when zwave stuff doesn't work, and I just end up adding a repeater swich here or there around the house rather than being able to diagnose the real issue, and I know that sort of approach can do more damage than good when things aren't right!

With the "nonstandard association scheme" is it likely then that I should be able to change the hubitat handler after it's at least associated, and get it working, or does "nonstandard" mean it'll probably never be right?

Thanks for the info.. I'll have to dig further into your comment after work when I have more time tonight. Ironically the device is sitting about 5 inches from my hand still as I type this even though I had given up on it months ago.. I'd love to get it working!!

I am sorry I couldn't be of more help, I am new to Hubitat but old to Z-Wave so got a little into the technical weeds there :smiley:

I have looked around in here and it seems there are two approached to handle this problem:

1. Adapt a driver to react to the Basic Set the sensor sends by default. There is a driver port from ST mentioned here https://community.hubitat.com/t/fibaro-fgk-10x-driver-w-temp/2527/16 that seeks to do that, but I have not been able to get it to work properly. Debug logs are reporting a null pointer read in line 175 on the state object.

2. Configure the association groups as I did to have the sensor emit binary sensor and temperature readings to the hub. This is typically something Z-Wave installer tools and some handheld controllers can do. As I haven't really dived into the Hubitat architecture yet I am not sure how to do this with HE. But looking at the open source drivers code and a quick search in the developer docs it looks like one should be able to use hubitat.zwave.commands.associationv1.AssociationSet. This command would take two parameters, in this case group should be 3 and destination node should be 1 according to the 101 manual

I don't know how to do any of that (yet) but I will try and take a look at that last approach myself as I would like to also get the temperatures that the built in Fibaro drivers supposedly deliver (I am using the generic open/close sensor as of now)/
For that it would be exceedingly helpful if one could see the source code for the built in drivers, but I can't find any public repos containing that. If anyone knows anything about that I would appreciate a pointer :heart:

I figured out a way to this from within the Hubitat user interface.
If you open a Z-Wave device in the admin portal there is an un-conspicuous looking button named Advanced. If you click on that you will see a prompt from where you can send arbitrary Z-Wave commands to the device.
If you enter 85 01 03 01 and click the send button (make sure the sensor is awake) it will add the hub (Node 1) to association group 3. This should in turn cause the sensor to send sensor reports and, if available, temperature reports via Z-Wave. ( I still have not looked into getting Hubitat to ingest the temperature reports, but I suspect you can verify it by changing the sensors device type in the Hubitat UI to a temperature sensor temporarily)

Here is what the numbers mean in case you want to do associations in other groups and to other devices ( I tested this by associating one of my switches to another switch )
B1: Command class (Association = 0x85)
B2: Command (SET = 0x01, you can use REMOVE=0x04 if you need to change something)
B3: Association Group number
B4: Destination Node ID (Hub should be 1 unless you have it set up as a secondary controller in the Z-Wave NW which is highly unlikely)

Hope this is useful.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.