Ecolink Firefighter Zigbee vs Z-Wave Plus versions

Noticed that a native driver for the Z-wave Plus version of the Ecolink Firefighter exists for Hubitat but that a zigbee driver has also been ported over from ST. Some have reported success with the zigbee version using this driver but others have reported that their zigbee Firefighter does not report. IIRC, I understand that the failure of the zigbee version may have something to do with an older firmware version compared to more recently shipped versions but I don’t think that has been conclusively determined (always tough to tell when some state it works and others are not able to get it to report).

I will probably go with the Z-wave Plus version given it is natively supported. However, comparing the two (both are currently available on Amazon at about the same price) got me wondering (since my current wireless devices are zigbee), how do the Z-wave Plus versions compare to the Zigbee version with regards to:

1. Battery life
  2. Reliability
  3. Automatic connectivity following a loss of power to the HE hub or an intentional hub reboot.
  4. Range (given if I go with the Z-wave version, it will be the first and only z-wave device I own, although it would be placed relatively close to my hub as I have a smoke/CO detector nearby the hub)
  5. Reporting speed

In other words, if a driver can be developed for the Zigbee version, is there any advantage of going Z-wave vs Zigbee, or do you prefer Zigbee in general.

The battery life and reliability with HE is probably my most important priorities (comparing Z-wave v. Zigbee), however, are there any other factors I am missing that might impact which version I should go with?

As always, thank to all in advance for any input.

Wouldn’t that require someone who has both zwave and zigbee versions? I imagine that’s a vanishing small minority.

FWIW, I have the zwave+ version. Changed the battery after 2 years.

1 Like

@moh

I also have the z-wave version and so far battery life has been great. I've set it off a few times in the kitchen (it trips my stove hood fan) And it's fast

I have tried both and for me the comparison was simple: the z-wave version works, the zigbee version doesn’t.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@aaiyar,

Wouldn’t that require someone who has both zwave and zigbee versions? I imagine that’s a vanishing small minority.

I’m assuming that you are saying this “tongue in cheek” as of course I would expect nobody to have both :rofl:. Just wanted to see if anyone had one or the other and had bad experience with battery life. Thanks for the feedback! It is much appreciated.

2 Likes

As always, thank you to all for your quick feedback and experience. It looks like I’ll order the Z-wave tonight! I really appreciate this community.

2 Likes

You'd be surprised...

2 Likes
1 Like

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their input. I ordered the Z-wave+ version based on your feedback and received and installed within 36 hours (Amazon is amazing). Can confirm it works well with my Kidde combination (Smoke/CO) voice alarm (which was NOT detected by Alexa Guard). It will discriminate between Smoke and CO detection and I set up my HE to send a notification (via Pushover) to my mobile devices. Since the Z-wave protocol and driver also monitors battery level, I have also set up Pushover to notify me when the battery gets below a certain level to remind me to purchase another battery for replacement. Time will tell how reliable this is over time and what the real-life battery life is. The installation instructions state that CO audio detection is not as robust as the Smoke detection but that there is a setting which makes CO alarm detection more reliable, but at the expense of reduced battery life. In my testing, I am very pleased with the device. Thanks to everyone for their input.

3 Likes

Download the Hubitat app