Ecolink Firefighter Zigbee vs Z-Wave Plus versions

Whether arbitrary or not, here in the People Republic of California, the following was code since 2015 (according to a building construction internet site, I am only passing on the information):

“Hardwired and Battery-Powered Alarms
With some exceptions, California requires smoke alarms be hardwired into the main electrical panel and have battery backups. The exceptions include buildings that don’t receive power from a commercial power company, for example, homes that are off the grid and existing homes with working fire alarms that are not undergoing construction. One of the changes announced by the fire marshal — effective July 1, 2015 — makes removable batteries obsolete. All smoke alarms, whether they are powered solely by batteries or hardwired, must contain a non-removable, non-replaceable battery with a life span of 10 years.

When Replacement is Required
If your existing smoke alarms don’t conform to regulations and are still working, you aren’t required to change them unless you undertake improvements requiring a permit and costing more than $1,000. Building inspectors are not allowed to sign off on any new construction or renovation permits issued after July 1, 2014 unless all smoke detectors are installed in accordance with current regulations. If you are required to install new smoke detectors, the smoke detectors must be interconnected in such a way that they all go off when one of them is triggered. As of January 1, 2015, all smoke detectors sold in California must include a hush feature that allows you silence the alarm for a few minutes“

This applies to both ionization and photoelectric type detectors. The problem is that with the current code, detectors sold in California have not only a ten year battery life, but also come with built-in timers that informs you with an annoying (but of course, potentially life saving) audible beep when the ten years is up. This ensures that even if your detector is actually still serviceable, it is rendered useless and forces you to purchase new ones. I experienced this with a number of detectors that had premature low battery warnings on their supposed 10-year built-in non-replaceable lithium batteries dictated by code. Luckily, they were replaced by Kidde via warranty. FWIW, regarding a previous poster’s comment on First Alert detector, the reason I went with Kidde (even though in my area they were more expensive) was because of a number of false alerts on my First Alert detectors. YMMV.

In addition to the legitimate safety concerns advising replacement every ten years, I suspect that the industry lobbied for replacement laws and built-in lifetime limiters in much the same way the producer of furniture fire retardant lobbied for mandatory use of fire retardant in all furniture fabrics despite little evidence of its efficacy in preventing fire deaths and injuries. Every ten years, I end up having to buy approx $900 worth of detectors for the house whereas in the past, I would just test each detector each month until they would not work reliably. I suppose it is of course better safe than sorry, but. . . when my detectors are incapacitated by the timer, I have to turn it off until I can find a suitable replacement. During Covid, this was not easy and took some time, leaving those rooms unprotected, which seem counter-intuitive.

Anyway, sorry for the rant as I just went through all this recently with several of my detectors, and stock was very slim and difficult to get replacements in a reasonable time and cost.

@jtp10181 I feel your pain!

The spec says: 3 rounds of the temporal 3 signal

Did anyone get the Zigbee version of the Ecolink Firefigther to work with Hubitat?

Nope. I Gave up on it and bought the zwave version. Too bad though, it was working fine with smartthings.

1 Like

Maybe @mike.maxwell know something?

The zwave version just sit there doing nothing. The battery goes dead without you knowing about it. In smartthings the zigbee version would report the temperature regularely so you know it is alive.

Mine has been installed a year (I have 5 of them) When my nest's do self tests they trip. All work... It also updates the temp. Also in events it shows update status and device watchdog watches it as well as HSM battery monitor...

1 Like

Sure, if I do a test it will report all that but otherwise
it does not report anything. If you do a refresh on it this is what you get in the log:

In smarthing it would report all that on its own several times a day.

My zwave one reports the temp and battery every 6 hours I think, maybe 12.
This is not hub dependent, it depends on the device. It may go by the wake up interval that is set.

How do you set that wake up interval?

I didn't hit refresh. I'm talking the nest initiates the test and the firefighters all report. Device watchdog handles them fine.

Mine also reports quite a bit

1 Like

Well I sure would like to know how to make mine report like that

I'm not sure what firmware I have on all mine.... That may have something to do with it? They all pretty much look like this

Every 12 hours for me.

This is my data section:

wake up interval is the same (12 hours) but it does not work on mine.

edit: I waked up the device and did a save on it. There was a configure entry in the log. So maybe it will fix the problem.

Somewhat OT but does anyone know if this works outside the US? Are smoke detector siren beeps/tones the same globally?

Unless something's changed, Mike couldn't get the zigbee version to function as intended and wasn't planning to look into it further.

1 Like

I looked into that a while back. Unfortunately they’re not.

2 Likes

The pattern is dictated by standards developed by UL, so I wouldn't expect device manufacturers outside of North America to adhere to it.

2 Likes