Eaton (Cooper) RF9540 Z-Wave Dimmer

The Eaton (Cooper) RF9540 Z-wave dimmer paired as a 'device'. After selecting the standard z wave dimmer dth it seems to be working just fine.

RF9540-NDS ASPIRE Single-Pole Multi-Location Master Dimmer Light Switch

Fingerprint data in case you want to add it to the zwave dimmer handler.

Data

• deviceType: 17481
  • inClusters: 0x26,0x27,0x75,0x86,0x70,0x71,0x85,0x77,0x2B,0x2C,0x72,0x73,0x82,0x87
  • deviceId: 257
  • manufacturer: 26

These devices used to be labeled Cooper, but Eaton acquired Cooper.

1 Like

Thanks for this - I also have several of the 9542s (accessory for 3-way operation). I'm not sure (at least from reading the forums) how to do an association for those with the primary/master switch?

In looking at the configuration options for the standard Z-wave dimmer, it's not entirely clear where the association gets made? Is it somewhere in Configure?

Thanks.

I am in the same position. I have one on-off in a three way configuration, and a few more dimmers in 3 and 4 way configurations. I would like to understand how to do the association, and what is the proper configuration for the remote switches. They default configure as “device”

A direct association should be possible with use of an aeon remote, but would prefer a configuration based from the hub. Has anyone achieved 3 way configuration?

I did get this working - it's not super obvious, but, basically, add your aeon minimote as a secondary controller to Hubitat (put the hub in inclusion mode, and click 'Learn' on the minimote).

After I did that, I followed the standard instructions in the Aeon support article for how to pair switches. Even then, you sometimes have to do it a couple of times before it takes. They work well now, but it wasn't for the faint of heart to make it work. :frowning:

1 Like

This is what I did. I encountered problems when I had moved the hub at a far distance from the switches, causing them to be in a "dead" state. So long as they are "alive" this works.:

I used RM to set triggers whether I pushed the accessory switch "on" or "off" to toggle the state of the master switch. That is it and it works.

Now my problem is to try to replicate this sort of situation with a dimmer master and 1-2 accessory switches. So far my efforts have been unsuccessful.

Well, my Aeon Minimote is dead and the device has been discontinued. I read about doing a hatchet-job of a battery change, but I would rather avoid that.

Does anyone know if these devices work with Hubitat?

The Cooper Handheld or tabletop controller. These would be secondary controllers, and you could set information, like associations, from them, and transfer it to hubitat (of compatible).

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/wiringdevices/products/documents/instruction_sheets/technology_rf_usermanual.pdf

Check out the official list of supported button devices...

So it looks like that is a no go. The question then becomes if any of the devices on the list has functionality similar to the minimote to set association between two or more devices.

That would be a question for @JDRoberts... the fountain of HA knowledge! :grin:

Someone must know,. There have to be other people with 3 way dimmers! When I was in Vera, you could directly associate the devices via an "advance settings" tab.

Update: I have achieved an incomplete level of dimmer functionality using the following information in rule machine:

From the User Guide:

Set these dimmers
This action sets the selected dimmers to the selected level with an optional fade time, or tracks another dimmer’s level.
Track event dimmer works along with a Condition or Trigger Event of “Dimmer level”. When this dimmer level event causes the rule to run this action, the selected dimmers are set to the same level as the dimmer that triggered the rule. This can be used in automations where a group of dimmers follow another dimmer as it changes level. The typical usage for a Trigger is to have a Trigger Event of “Dimmer level >= 0”, and then Track Dim as the action.

I defined a trigger

The Accessory dimmer is the trigger where the trigger event of dimmer level greater than or equal to 0.

The master dimmer then tracks dim as the action.

With this, the Accessory dimmer can dim up and down, but cannot turn on and off the lights. Further, the Accessory dimmer has its own on and off, which means it wont control the master unless it is turned on itself.

Because association changed with Z wave plus, I don't think we are going to see anymore secondary controllers like the minimote which can form associations between two other devices.

With SmartThings, the preferred method now is to use the Z wave tweaker DTH. You just assign the device temporarily to that DTH, create your associations, then shift back to your every day driver.

I don't know if it's possible to port that to hubitat, but it would be the easiest way to deal with associations.

Failing that, you need to look into adding some secondary Z wave controller to hubitat, and I don't know if that's supported either. But the tweaker would be a much better option because it doesn't require buying a second device and it's much easier to use.

@mike.maxwell

1 Like

Some button controllers are secondary zwave controllers, but others just use scenes or central scenes. It's really a different device class than the Cooper that was mentioned.

I would think you'd be able to add any secondary zwave controller, that's part of the zwave standard. But I don't know for sure with Hubitat.

Can you add a zstick to a Hubitat network?

@patrick

1 Like

Thank you for your time in replying. That ST tool would seem to solve the problem. Sadly, I have no idea how to attempt porting it to Hubitat.

With respect to the Cooper handheld controller, I agree with your rationale.

I have a house full of Cooper and evolve/linear 3 and 4 way dimmers, so I’m in a bit of pickle. I either solve the problem or.....buy a bunch of HS switches and accessory switches I guess? Or I stay with Vera and deal with their issues

1 Like

FYI..

I've added multiple ZSticks (secondary) to the Hubitat network, successfully.

1 Like

Cooper is now a division of Eaton. So as of 2016, Eaton is the company, Cooper is the division, and Aspire is the model line. You can find the devices listed under any of these three names, or under "Eaton Cooper" or "Eaton's Aspire," it just varies by retailer. The model number is always the same, fortunately. :sunglasses:

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/wiringdevices/literature/lit_pdf/AspireBroch.pdf

See my post above - I was able to add my minimote (still working) as a secondary controller and was able to muddle my way through direct associations (I hope).

They work, but, when I tried removing some 'DEAD' Z-wave devices in Hubitat, a couple of my associations stopped working... this can't be correct, right?

Doesn't the secondary controller add those associations directly between the Eaton Aspire switches? Thanks.

Yes, no other devices should be involved except the trigger device and the target device. The association information is stored in the firmware of the trigger device.

1 Like

Thanks @JDRoberts - so, one final question - if the secondary controller (Minimote) is later excluded, those associations should continue to work, correct?

Yes, in this situation the minimote just tells the trigger device to store the information, it has nothing to do with The association after the set up.

If you exclude either the trigger device or the target device and then re-add them, you would have to re-create the association. But the minimote won't matter.

1 Like