[EARLY RELEASE] Zooz Zen31 LED Controller

What I'm worried about is, what if I want to do white color temp and an RGB value? Will they mess with each other?

why would you do white and rgb at the same time?

Not sure yet, will let you know if I do when my RGBWW strip arrives LOL

It looks horrible when coming from the same strip.. That's why I have always done strip controllers as emulating RGBW Bulbs where it switched identity (colorMode) from CT to RGB depending on if you are using CT or RGB

I guess that makes sense. I'll reserve all comments till I have one to try. Should arrive Friday.

Btw, Do I still have to exclude the device to get rid of the child devices?

Yes.. But I will add the child removal today

1 Like

Setting RGBW to 100% might not look great, but it's twice as bright which is why I sometimes do it...

That being said, if the ability to use RGB and W at the same time was added to this driver or someone wants to do that with the built-in driver, then they should check to make sure their LED strip supports it.

Most LED strips I've seen do, but I came across a cheap LED strip with split LEDs that mentioned in the product description that using both at full strength can cause voltage/overheating issues.

3 Likes

Great driver, works 100%. Thank you so much!

1 Like

What are the voice commands for this? Can I tell something like Alexa to set each component individually? Would I need to make a scene then use a virtual switch/button to trigger that? Just wanted to get a better idea of the scope via voice control

Hey Bryan,

I just got my RGBW spot lights today and hooked them up to test. Fantastic! Better than the included driver! Did you ever do the child removal mod? I switched to your driver but the child devices are still there. 1.0 though so not sure if you did it. Thanks again for more amazing work! Controlling my pool lights via Alexa in the future for. #BadAss

-Travis

I sure didn't .. thanks for reminding me ..

1 Like

Thx! Also, I don’t see any reference to the energy monitoring features. It seems that the CurrentStates is not updating when refreshed. It currently says Magenta for me but didn’t change when the light is White. Also, my Spots are RGBW, not RGBWW and it looks like the Cool White is a combo of all RGB and not the actual Cool White LED’s only in the light. How can I validate? Oh and please add to HPM?

Update: it’s definitely doing RGB and W at the same time because if I use the Built in driver and turn on only the white channel, it’s perfect. Then I change the driver and set the channel to “Cool White” or temp to 6500 and a reddish hue appears in the white light.
Thx Bryan!

Just say, “Alexa, set the [Named Light] to [Color] and as long as you added it to the Amazon Echo Skill Devices in Apps it should “Just Work”!

-Travis

Thanks for that. Didn't know if I could control levels too, or just color. Like if I said "Alexa, dim to 30%", if things like that would work...I should probably just test it like I did with the colors.

I know it recognized white, red, blue, and green. Does it recognize any other colors?

Yeah it dims to whatever level you ask it to between 1-100. It does recognize tons of colors.

Here’s the complete list:

-Travis

1 Like

sweet! thanks for the link. i'll take a look and play around

Cool. Some colors may not be mapped so they don’t work. Also, because RGB and RGBW color mixes/blend vary from manufacturer, some colors may not be as expected. @bcopeland has provided an option in his driver (Enable Gamma Correction) to help correct some light output to more acceptable color matches. That said, we really need a gamma slider that tweaks a range or a way to calibrate your rgb values to match colors better. For example, on my set, I could ask for orange as a color but it was more of a yellow. But, yellow was ok itself. With the gamma offset my orange became more orange but the yellow became more green. Mileage may vary but I hope somehow he or someone develops a way for is to setup values that create a custom gamma formula for our specific lights. Red, Green and Blue are always pretty much perfect outputs as they are the true color of the LEDs but when they mix is when their light output values vary.

I find that the three primary colors are dead on as described above. The secondary colors (Cyan, Magenta and Yellow) are pretty good, but when you get to the tertiary colors as shown in the chart below is where things go awry. It’s likely due in part to the secondary colors being set close but not exactly where you would want them and as you go further out in levels the shifts become non-linear as compared to their output levels and the desired named color output isn’t right. You could manually select the color and find it won’t match the color map either but you could create an orange manually using the output levels or the map, it just wouldn’t work properly in Alexa but it would with a rule.

It would be nice if we could calibrate the Color Gamma by inputting the values for each secondary and tertiary color to determine our custom offset.

-Travis

Hey @bcopeland did you have a chance to look into these issues yet?

Thanks,

-Travis

I just received my zen31 today and have just read through this thread.

I bought a dreambox for my wife for her 50th in January. It’s crown has a built in 12v white led that I have running off a Tasmota plug and I added a RGB strip connected to a magichome controller. The RGB controller is having some disconnect issues so I thought I would upgrade to the zen31.

So the ability to control the RGB and the W separately would be awesome in my case.

Edit: the manual that came with it and the PDF online don’t explain why there are four inputs. Does anyone have more information?