Drivers by bcopeland Bio

This doesn't work properly with Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer / Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch drivers?

@bcopeland It worked with SmartThings fine with but for whatever reason it does all kinds of goofy stuff with the generic dimmer driver. Sometimes it wont ramp all the way up to full, or it will go to full then back down to 50%. If I use set it to switch instead of dimmer it performs as expected. I'll just leave it on switch. I have about 80 devices on this hub and they're all working fine except this goofball plug. Have any recommended zwave plus plugs that work well with Hubitat? I use this plug as a repeater for some stuff in my garage. I don't mind replacing it. It came with a Vivint alarm install.

I've just (knowingly) joined the screwed by Trane Nexia club. My house really needed zoning (1890 Victorian - vents run haphazardly through the house) so comfort won out over control. Anyone up to help organizing a letter writing campaign to Trane to get them to reverse course on locking down their hardware? Or better yet, any hardware engineers out there that want a Kickstarter project?

@scottgu3 @waterboysh @bcopeland

I think it's probably just a matter of time before a second party vendor builds an "aftermarket" thermostat that can handle these newer systems, however the risk is that it will get tied up in an Apple/Google/Amazon ecosystem.

Truly, there's nothing wrong with my Nexia Thermostat, except, well, the Nexia part, and the fact that while it can join my network and act as a secondary hub, when it does (aside from being a repeater) it's UTTERLY USELESS to the home automation system (e.g. Hubitat), as it exposes ZERO thermostat functions to the Zwave. It's a thermostat with a Zwave hub glued on.

I will say that I've been Kickstartered/Indigogo'd to death. No more. :slight_smile: Nothing I've bought from Kickstarter has gone the distance except a couple of battery packs and well...a couple of battery packs. The rest has been consigned to history or the trash pile. So no more Kickstarters/Indigogo's for me!

I'd happily sign a letter though. I mean, it can't hurt.

S.

The target systems are too diverse - Trane, Lennox, Carrier, Goodman all use differing communicating protocols. And, AFAIK, with the exception of Goodman, none of the others have documented their protocol - so each of them would have to be reverse engineered.

While they can be reverse engineered, it is difficult for me to see how the costs of that can be recouped; the market of folks willing to use a reverse engineered thermostat on systems that cost $15K+ is small.

2 Likes

Well, I guess we better hope for a future Zwave or Zigbee enabled Trane/American Standard thermostat then. Frankly, I doubt there's much hope. Nest shook the thermostat world up, and now the vendors are walling themselves into their little silos/walled gardens. Amazon, Google, or Apple will end up paying them some fee to be "Exclusive", and we'll all be fuming.

Trane no doubt went to Nexia because it fits their "installers only" model. And Nexia proffered it as "Added Value".

S.

1 Like

They want you to pay for Nexia service. An alternative might be if someone reverse engineered a driver for the Nexia cloud.

Yeah that would work I suppose, but from what I've seen its probably as dysfunctional as the zwave portion of the thermostat! :joy:

1 Like

Hey @bcopeland, I would like to know how to treat your drivers now that you are staff. It seems like they are integrated with today’s release announcement. Are they now wrapped up in the official drivers so we should use them or are still going to have your own branch? What about HPM?

-Travis

4 Likes

Some are migrating and I will deprecate those.. Others will likely stay open source for a while..

6 Likes

Would it be possible for you update the first post to help us keep informed? Technically if there are issues we will have to wait for the next formal Hubitat release for the fixes then yeah?

2 Likes

Congrats @bcopeland!! HE is just Getting better and better. Nice badge :grinning:

6 Likes

Selfishly... See if you can stick the Water Sensor 6 driver in the 'official' list while no one is looking. :wink:

Seriously, congrats!

It is in there

1 Like

Congrats on the new job! Excited to see HE expand and your efforts will make it even better, even more quickly I'm sure!

Cheers.

3 Likes

That’s your version?!? Sweetness, thanks! I was just assuming that was a previous ‘basic’ version, since I didn’t see it in the 2.2.1 notes.

Ugh, I'm also new to the Trane/Nexia debacle, but I joined not so knowingly. The choice of system got lost in several other big decision points as part of a major renovation we just did. Anyway, I'm not sure I wouldn't have made the same choice anyway, b/c just like you zoning was a priority for me.

My tstats are the XL 1050 (main floor) and 2 1040s (upstairs and third zone). The zone panel model is ZZONEEXPAC52ZBA. We've only moved back in recently, and I haven't yet gotten to adding them to the HE. I get that I shouldn't expect anything to work (though zwave repeating would be at least something).

I just wanted to register my handle if y'all are talking about this in the future, please feel free to flag me. Should maybe spin off a dedicated thread?

Brian, sorry to drag you back to the ZXT-600 DH, but I need a little help. Reports are not updating. also, config updates don't take, like changing the IR device code. Research I've done leads me to think it may need a zwave association set. Something !ike - zwave.AssociationV1.Association Set (GroupingIdentifier:1, NodeId :[zwaveHubNodeId]).format().I
Is it also possible to add a command for ThermostatOperatingStateReport. Is there a way for me to download the code for the existing standard Remotec ZXT-600 so I can attempt to do my own mods.

nzw97 diver seems to work, except on the dashboard it hangs on sending, dashboard never updates. Turning on from device works but not updating status, have to do a refresh. Any ideas?