[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

Individually they perform great. Using associations with my switches the on/off and dimming is great. Calling out a color change to a single bulb via Alexa is less than 1-2 seconds before responding. When you add them in a group you will have the popcorn effect (one light turning on after the other - due to Z-Wave not multi-casting like Zigbee does from what I have read) but it is much improved. My dining room light is 5 bulbs and they all turn the proper color within 2 seconds of issuing the verbal command. I can now string color commands back to back and they "just work" instead of eventually everything grinding to a halt and a single bulb may or may not change up to 30 seconds later like before. All-in-all I am impressed with the change. I have moved to the Hubitat Built-in Driver here as @bcopeland is now staff and maintaining it.

Check out the video of the speed of the bulb changes now that @Eric_Inovelli posted...

Good times...

I have updated my switches to 1.41 to fix the notification issue but not moved to 1.44. Most of those fixes are for LED bulb/Hue bulb issues from what I can tell. The firmwares are here...on the right side...

https://support.inovelli.com/portal/kb/inovelli/downloads/firmware

-Travis

nice so built in driver works better than inovelli ?

I was using the @bcopeland version so it essentially turned into the Hubitat driver when he joined the team. He had a hand in the Inovelli one too but @ericm is more versed in what changes he has implemented that may not be in the Hubitat driver.

You can't assume that until there is an official word from @bcopeland. All standard built-in Hubitat drivers are closed source and not available to us mortals. If Bryan's drivers do get incorporated into Hubitat, I would expect the ones in the communities to be pulled or listed as no longer supported rather than Bryan needing to keep supporting his drivers and whatever he is doing internally with Hubitat.

3 Likes

True..this is all I could get out of him when asking for clarity a while back...

1 Like

Correct.. My drivers that are “feature complete” in the hub.. I will be deprecating.. The community versions are different than the built in versions, so if someone wants to take the ones I deprecate over, for some reason, they can... There are a few drivers that won’t be making it into the hub any time soon due to their nature and not wanting to create a support nightmare..

6 Likes

It could take months to find and deprecate all the drivers you have created. :wink:

2 Likes

Right.. I need to sit and go through them.. because there are a few that are feature complete that I can get moved... I'll create a deprecated directory on my github and move them there..

4 Likes

Do you see the updater tool becoming part of the platform? It could add a lot of support and you wouldn't likely be able to post firmware like you have. It would be great to have something like this built-in though.

1 Like

One day..

3 Likes

Trying to update the Inovelli red series firmware. Everything seemed to go fine but it's been stuck at "flashing..." for about 15 minutes now.

The LED on the dimmer is solid blue (was flashing before). Not sure what to do now - can anyone help?

It's finished flashing. Revert back to the original driver. Hit Configure. You should be able to control the device.

Also, if you use Basic Z-Wave Tool, you can confirm that the firmware version is updated.

1 Like

Doesn't look like it worked :anguished:

Version is still 1.35 (I was updating to 1.44). What do I do now?

UPDATE: before I changed back to the Inovelli drivers, I hit the Version report. This is in the logs:

Now I'm confused by what the correct version is...

You need to clear the current states first - forgot to mention that. Before loading the device driver.

You can clear current states using @BorrisTheCat's Clean Device driver.

Here it is:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/borristhecat/HUBITAT/master/Clean%20Device.groovy

1.44 is correct.

1 Like

You can try hitting the Refresh and or Configure button. Either of those should query the device

2 Likes

Not sure what I did, but now it's showing the correct version (1.44). :relieved:

2 Likes

I don't see the "configure" or "refresh" buttons with the Inovelli driver. I think a couple of "Save Pref" and "Save Device" may have tricked it into updating.

Both Configure and Refresh are in the top section of the device page to the left of the on and off button. The save(s) will have done somewhat the same.

2 Likes

Ah - found them. They are buried in the middle of a bunch of other buttons on the Inovelli driver :grinning: I was so used to seeing them up in the top/left that I just completely missed them.

1 Like