[DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

They're the default like in your screenshot.

Makes sense. So the auto turn on, will turn on the relay to power the bulbs, and not the actual switch state, right?

Good point, I just tested it and the auto-on and seems to do the opposite of what I thought if smart bulb is enabled. It just changed the state but the load stayed off.

Well crap lol

For what it’s worth, I had two zen26 with the smart bulb mode enabled. I ended up rewiring them so the load wire bypasses the switch and connects to directly to the hot. Makes life a hell of a lot easier. Of course you need a bypass on the load terminal or the switch really gets upset.

Just installed a new zooz zen77 800 series dimmer and it was added into hubitat fine but not under the advanced driver.

I switched to the zen swithc advanced driver and saved, and saw this in the logs:

dev:452024-01-05 12:44:30.807 PMwarnKitchen lights: Scene Reverse unchanged, no known Model/Firmware match.
dev:452024-01-05 12:44:27.856 PMwarnKitchen lights: Unsupported Device USE AT YOUR OWN RISK: [7000, A007]
dev:452024-01-05 12:44:26.714 PMwarnKitchen lights: Clearing state variables and data...
dev:452024-01-05 12:44:26.706 PMwarnKitchen lights: configure...
dev:452024-01-05 12:44:23.489 PMwarnKitchen lights: Unsupported Device USE AT YOUR OWN RISK: [7000, A007]

Driver code seems to indicate I'm on the latest version:

Changelog:

[2.0.2] - 2023-12-10 (@jtp10181)

Did you use DIMMER or SWITCH driver code!

I installed via HPM... but looking at it, maybe it is indeed only the SWITCHES? But looking in HPM I'm not sure I see a "Dimmers advanced"?

When I search for "zen77" in HPM, it shows that I have it installed, and lists the zen77...

Right, that installs a few drivers, including a switch driver and a dimmer driver. Make sure you pick the correct one for your device.

On my "Drivers code" page I definitely only have the one zooz zen switch advanced. (well and plugs advanced but I installed that separately)

I use a lot of Jeff's (excellent!) drivers, and while I was recently checking some settings on one of my Zooz devices (now I can't remember what device it was!), I realized I had that same "Unsupported device..." warning.

I have no idea if it was due to a somehow-botched original pairing that I never noticed, or if something went sideways on a firmware update at some point or what the heck caused it.

IIRC, I just excluded & re-paired the device and all was well after that.

Jeff -- any ideas on the most likely suspects to watch out for with respect to getting that "Unsupported device..." error? TIA

I went back to HPM and "Modify" the package and see I can install Dimmers advaced!

Thank you @TArman !

I also see "Child Central Scene Switch" - what's that? (also the zen30 double switch but don't need that yet!)

I think the child is for multiple switch like ZEN30

The Child driver is an optional add on for the ZEN30 driver to solve a specific issue when using it with Fans.

As for the original issue, you selected the Switch driver, you need the Dimmer driver, sounds like you solved it. Change the Driver/Type on the device to Zooz ZEN Dimmer Advanced and then run configure, it should detect the switch and clear up all the warnings.

I really put that in there for this exact example of @Kaitlyn selecting the wrong driver and then possibly wondering why its not working (if the error was not visible). So the error drove the behavior I wanted, to question why its there and fix it.

Only should be there if you either select the wrong driver, or have never run configure and the device model is not populated correctly. If it is a supported device running configure should clear up the errors.

Also is possible to use some of the drivers on unsupported devices on purpose, and it will still work, as long as it is the same type of device.

I suspected the same - thanks for confirming! I think it was one of my leak sensors, and it's definitely possible I somehow muffed the driver selection/setup during the original install (since I did several back-to-back).

Good to know - thank you!!

Okay just wondering - since I had a bunch of switches+dimmers to move over. After I selected the *Advanced driver I reloaded device page and configure, and they end up outputting a ton to the logs. But one of mine outputted virtually nothing?

dev:452024-01-05 01:37:46.902 PMinfoKitchen lights: level is set to 100% (digital)
dev:452024-01-05 01:37:46.897 PMinfoKitchen lights: switch is turned on (digital)
dev:452024-01-05 01:37:40.013 PMinfoKitchen lights: Logging Level is: Info (2)
dev:452024-01-05 01:37:35.845 PMwarnKitchen lights: Clearing state variables and data...
dev:452024-01-05 01:37:35.821 PMwarnKitchen lights: configure...

Whereas another device (they are both zen77 dimmers) outputted a lot more, this is only the beginning of it:

dev:472024-01-05 01:33:21.887 PMdebugStairs switch: ledMode - LED Indicator (#2) = 0
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:21.497 PMdebugStairs switch: paddleControl - Paddle Orientation (#1) = 0
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:21.087 PMdebugStairs switch: Group 4 Association: []
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:20.882 PMdebugStairs switch: Group 3 Association: []
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:20.679 PMdebugStairs switch: Group 2 Association: []
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:20.496 PMdebugStairs switch: Lifeline Association: [1]
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:18.679 PMinfoStairs switch: Logging Level is: Info (2)
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:14.532 PMwarnStairs switch: Clearing state variables and data...
dev:472024-01-05 01:33:14.493 PMwarnStairs switch: configure...

Probably did not have debug logging enabled. If the syncStatus is Synced and all the settings are available then you are all set.

1 Like

Hello Jeff @jtp10181 , you are right where I need to go. Just installed the ZEN30 for a ceiling fan/light. The dimmer is direct wire to the light, but there is no wire for the fan, so the relay wires are just capped off.
I installed the latest driver of yours via HPM (v 2.0.2), but cannot find where to access the relay button tap, double-tap, triple tap and long tap. I would like to assign these relay button actions to be used in basic rules or RM as Low, Med, High, Off respectively. I believe I need to install the Child Driver, but I don't understand how to install/enable that driver. I do currently have a "Zooz Double Switch-Relay" child device which somehow showed up, but it does not have triple-tap option.

Also I thought it would be best to update firmware on the ZEN30, which is currently at 3.10. Zooz has a zip file for v3.20, I downloaded it, unzipped the .gbl file, dropped it into the z-wave updater, and went through the steps - it says it is updating the firmware, but that screen never changes to complete. If I click 'done' it just goes back to the previous screen and the FW still shows as 3.10 What am I missing??

Thanks for all you are doing with these drivers, your hard work is very much appreciated!!

Since there is no native "trippleTap" attribute, the 3x taps will show up as button 3 pushed on the child device. Make sure you have the scene control enabled for the relay (it is one of the settings on the main device). This will work with the default system driver, or my custom child driver. The custom child driver was created to fix some issues when sharing the relay as a fan to Google and Alexa, otherwise it is not really needed.

For the firmware, if you have the device paired with S2 security the built in updater app will not work. Here is a guide for using the driver version of the updater. [GUIDE] Z-Wave device - how to update firmware using the driver method

For the firmware URL, if Zooz has one posted you can use the direct link to the GBL file from their site. Otherwise use the extracted GBL and follow the guide.

1 Like

So I look at the live logs, and I do see what you are saying, but more.

When I tap once = I see "button 1 pushed [relay 1x]". I can use that, but then comes "switch is turned on (physical)". I get that, it is exactly what it implies. The issue is, it does me no good, and generates unnecessary confusion (and maybe a little unnecessary data). Should I just ignore it or is there a way to suppress that second action?

Then I double-tap = generates "Button 1 double Tapped [relay]" again, unnecessary, and I kinda want to suppress that as well... then comes, "Button 2 pushed [relay 2x]" That I can use, in the same way as button 1.

A Triple-tap generates "button 3 pushed [relay 3x]" Once again, I can use that!

This is progress!! :+1: :+1:

As for the child driver, I do use Alexa, for some other devices, and for the sake of WAF will likely attach this ceiling fan to it as well, however I believe my work-around will satisfy that - as a retired panel builder, knowing well the advantages of interposing relays, I see a parallel in using virtual switches with HE routines. I use 3 v-switches (buttons) to control 3 Shelly Plus-1 pm relays in the fan canopy which replace the functions of the pull-chain speed control switch (the three v-switches drive the relays to match the connection functions of each speed position of the old switch). The Zooz button presses can simply control the V-switches for L-M-H-off to control the fan, and Alexa should also be able to access the v-buttons for the same functions.

As for the firmware, I do not have security enabled, but I will try the other path to update. I understand this may not yield any gain for my instance but I feel it is a best practice to keep all hardware updated whenever possible.