[DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

Hello @jtp10181
I've just purchased the few of the (very new) Zen54.
These are a very unique, in-wall relay that serve as a dimmer, not as a switch.
(Strange, after I purchased them, they were apparently taken off THESMARTESTHOUSE web site....)
Will one of your drivers work for this device?

If I have one I can make a driver for it (possibly even without one). I think Zooz also sends all new stuff over to Hubitat so they can make drivers. They have been known to send me stuff as well with a request to make a driver for it. Have not heard anything for this one yet.

It looks very similar to the ZEN51 but for dimming LEDs. I could probably take my ZEN51 driver and adapt it to the ZEN54 without too much trouble.

I also sometimes have the issue of the light or fan reporting the opposite of what it actually is on a particular Zen30. It's one of the newer V3 zwave 700 series ones also on firmware 3.10. I never saw this until I setup a room lighting automation to turn the fan and light on and off with motion. I think there is a potential issue with sending both the switch and relay commands at the exact same time.

Most often it seems to be that the fan doesn't turn off, but the light does. If I look at the device page, it'll say both are off.

I was wondering if the driver has a way of integrating a small delay (maybe as a configurable setting) if a command is sent to both within a very short time frame. I don't have any logs of when this has happened to share. It usually goes unnoticed or is noticed well after the fact when passing by the room. It also doesn't happen super often.

EDIT: Oh, and if it matters I am using your custom driver for the relay so that Google recognizes it as a fan and not a light.

I am going to have to start logging issues on GitHub. Too many little random things for me to keep up with in the threads between all the drivers.

If you have reported any issues or even feature requests and you use GitHub please add it as an issue. Otherwise I will start adding stuff myself.

I could add a feature to force a slightly delayed refresh after an on or off command is sent? That is probably the easiest fix. It would be an option you can turn on if having this issue.

1 Like

Well I was messing around with my Zen30 v3 today and noticed that the deviceModel shows as UNK00. Tried the data edit route but it won't stick after hitting configure on the driver. Does anyone know the values for deviceId and deviceType for this model? Also, the deviceModel should be ZEN30 right? Or is it something different? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Use this driver: [RELEASE] Z-Wave Universal Device Scanner
Press the "Get Info" button, it will ask for the info from the device and put the "data" back in place how it belongs. Then switch back to the ZEN30 driver and run a Refresh, then Configure. Refresh the page you should have all the options back again. You may need to adjust settings back to how you want it.

Also, for any ZEN30 users, I have found out a possible issue with the lifeline association on some models. If you have issues where the relay button presses register as the main switch I may have a fix coming for it very soon.

I just went to the site and found them just fine.....
I, too, have bought 3 of them for VFD motor controls and they work great.

I had to use the Zwave basic tool to change the switch action and dimming speed, but notice that on the Zooz parameter list, they state that the ramp rate parameter (3) is 2 bytes... it should be 1 byte using the tool.

It also works with the generic dimmer driver.

SO 1 "tap" of the switch turns it on (110 VAC relay and previous DC output level), tap and hold increases the DC output using the ramp rate.
Release and tap and hold decreases the DC output.
Tap when on ramps the DC output down then off and the internal relay turns off (110 VAC).

Other than that, it works great.

This is how I got to clear up some Zen77 dimmers with UNK00. I switched the driver to Device, then Save, then Get Data and Configure. I did not click Clear all States. Then back to the zooz driver (Save, Configure) but no changes were displayed. Then, back to the Device driver to repeat the steps. At this point the device shows as Zen77, so I switched back to the zooz driver, save, and it shows correctly. I did this sequence on 4 switches and was successful on all.

2 Likes

I am experiencing this exact same thing. Did you ever find a solution?

Try adding a short delay, like maybe 0.5 seconds, for turning on the switch load.
Also, why not just allow the switch to control the load directly at this point? You will still get the button event you can use to trigger the rule for the relay.

In this situation this is my Master Bedroom and the dimmer is the main room lights and the relay is the fan. I want to double tap up on the rocker to enable my “dim” room scene which is basically just my small nightstand light so I can get dressed without waking my wife. With load control enabled, the full room lights blast on instantly and then shut off when my scene gets invoked by the double tap. So my wife gets a big flash of light and it wakes her up. Not ideal. :rofl:

Change Parameter 18 to disable the double tap brightness control, either option besides the default should work.

Cool. I'll try that! I was trying that before, but misread it. I set it to "No Selection" thinking that would disable it. Oops!

If you ever need more info on the settings refer to the Zooz docs: ZEN30 Double Switch Advanced Settings - Zooz Support Center

I can only fit so much in the menus before it gets cluttered up, sometimes the actual docs has a paragraph of explanation.

Awesome. Thanks! Hey, I remember seeing a chart that listed what each of the 10 button presses corresponds to, but I can't find it anymore. Do you know where that is laid out? For example, button 3 press is actually double tap up. It gets confusing, and I'm just trying to find the best way to reference what means what when creating rules and such. Thanks!

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/314-zen27-s2-dimmer-ver-3-01-advanced-settings/ The ZEN27 docs has a table at the bottom. Should apple to the ZEN30 dimmer as well. I always find it easier to just press what you want on the switch and then check the logs! Especially when working on the ZEN32 buttons (not this driver obviously). If anyone wants to make a fancy little graphic I could add it to the main post.

If you think about it, it is just odds are up and evens are down. 1,3,5,7,9 is 1x-5x for up and 2,4,6,8,10 is 1x-5x for down.

If using Button Controller app I also found it handy to rename each instance so when I go back to make edits I know what they are:

1 Like

Good idea! Does this help? I can get it to you in other formats or tweak it too. Thanks!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/graftechnology/clients/zooz/zooz-paddle-button-actions.svg

So my ZEN30 seems borked at the moment. I did an air gap reset and even that didn't fix it. It is stuck with

syncStatus : 26 Pending Changes

I've tried to reconfigure, refresh, everything. Any ideas how to get this back up and working?

With Zigbee, I would try to re-pair the device, but I'm not real sure how to do that with Z-Wave? If I run an exclude, it's going to remove it from my Hub and also break everything that uses that switch. Is there another way to "factory restore" the switch and re-include it without having to break all the apps/etc it's utilized in?

Create a virtual device and use the swap feature in settings. Then you can swap it back once you are through playing with it.

Hmm. How would I do this with this double switch since it has a child device (relay) and both the dimmer/child are tied to multiple things throughout Hubitat. :thinking: