Door not unlocking when arriving home

So ever since i got my hubitat i have had my front door set up with life360 to unlock when i arrive home. A few months ago this stopped working. I made no changes it just doesn’t unlock. I am away from my hub right now so i can not provide much details yet. I will update as soon as i can. I just wanted to get this started.

Life360 detects when i arrive or depart, and hubitat says it is connected. I can even click run routine and the door unlocks. It just doesn’t do it when i arrive home. Any ideas?

Platform Version

Hardware Version

C-5

There have been some recent changes made by Life360 that appear to have caused some issues for many users. There are a few threads discussing this. This is where I would start the investigation. Make sure that your Life360 Hubitat 'devices' are actually reporting the change of presence status between 'present' and 'not present'. You can do this by clicking the "Events" link near the top of the device details page of your Life360 Presence Device.

4 Likes

Also the text that automatically appeared in your post when you opened this thread is there so that you can provide others with details of your hub and it’s setup up front (which can save time for all of us). Please consider posting those details.

Please provide your hub model (C7, C8, etc.) and its platform version from Settings>Hub Details.

Check out the following post for help troubleshooting problems and gathering details that will help others to identify and solve the problem you are experiencing: ‼ READ FIRST - Before Posting in Get Help

2 Likes

Thanks i am aware that that text was there to help people help me. I did not have a way to get any of that information when i started the thread, thats why i said as much and stated i would update when i could provide more details. :grinning: i did read there were some issues with life360 before posting, but i did not see any that either fixed mine, or that offered a solution. I did not spend hours reading, so it is possible i will find it. I am wondering if it is something with RM. i show RM and RM legacy. All my things are in legacy. Life360 shows i arrive home, and if i test my routine, it works. They just are not working together

On your phone? Or on the Hubitat Life360 Presence device?

Difficult to resolve this when there's insufficient information. Can you address the question posed by @ogiewon?

Also log events, triggers, and actions for your Rule. Post a screenshot of the logs along with a screenshot of the Hubitat Life360 device Events tab.

1 Like

I know it shows it in life360, i thought i saw it under events log before but i can not find that for my presence. All i see is the life360 connector and my rule in rule machine. I don’t see anything under events in either of those places.

Sorry i am not trying to not provide the information, I haven’t done anything in the hubitat environment for a couple years and i am lost navigating through it. That combined with in am getting surgery in 30 mins from now, i have a lot going on. I am just tired of the he door no longer unlocking when i arrive. It worked great for like 3 years never a problem. Then it stoppped

Unfortunately the L360 integration is all but toast recently due to L360 knee-capping 3rd-party access.

L360 itself still works fine, it just doesn't work with anything else.

I'd recommend looking for an alternate presence solution to integrate with Hubitat - there are a lot of threads in the community here on that topic to check out.

I hope your surgery goes well!

4 Likes

Awesome thanks! I will try to search for it when i have time. Is there a easy solution like something i can buy that will just communicate with the hubitat?

There are other mobile apps that can integrate with Hubitat similarly to Life360.

Does your family use iOS, Android or both?

(And I hope your surgery’s going well)

1 Like

iOS exclusively

Thanks they said it was good i am awake and on my way home

5 Likes

:+1:

Glad to hear that. There are lots of really good iOS solutions. Do you have an Apple TV or HomePod?

2 Likes

No, but i would buy one if needed. I have a lot of echos. I already had went with echo, so I didn’t do the apple homekit

Actually i do have an old apple tv, one of the earlier models. Not sure what gen it is now, maybe gen 2. I can find out. It os setting in a box. I got a nvidia shield pro right after and liked it better.

I am going to try this and see if it works. Not sure what it is using for the presences sensor. Maybe the hubitat app?

That did lock itself after 5 mins so that is promising. Just not sure if it will detect when i arrive

Yes, by far the simplest replacement for Life360 geofencing based presence is to simply use the Hubitat Mobile App. It will create a device for each phone it is installed on. Then, simply swap out the Life360 presence devices with the Hubitat Mobile App presence devices in each of your automations/rules.

3 Likes

@scotnemily

I agree with what @ogiewon has recommended vis-a-vis using the Hubitat Mobile app. With that said, if you can include an Apple Home hub in your network (like an Apple TV4, or a HomePod mini), you can use the Apple Home app on your iPhones for presence. It will be integrated using the built-in HomeKit integration in your Hubitat. This method of presence detection is very very reliable, and there are many of us who use it.

Refurbished HomePod minis can be had on eBay for ~$50-60, as @rlithgow1 has pointed out a few times in the Hubitat Community.

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 Likes

Awesome thanks for the help. What ever my hubitat is using for my presence currently is not working. I thought it was the app on my phone but door did not unlock when i came home today.

In your original post, you mentioned Life360… Thus, our assumption that the recent changes to Life360 are the cause of your presence detection failing.

1 Like

I should have said i created a new rule using the non legacy RM. i thought i selected the virtual presence for my phone app, but since it didn’t trigger, i am not sure what it used. I did not select life360 for this one.

Ok i went through and removed all references to the life360. The virtual presence using the app says i am present. I will see if it unlocks the door when i arrive home

Still did not unlock the door. When i check it says i am present. So it is detecting me. I don’t see anything in The log though when i click on my phone.