Dome Siren - Different Sounds for Different Events

That seems to happen every time you have a lot of events going on at the same time. The same thing happens in SmartThings so I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the device.

You might be able to fix the repeating problem by delaying the action by about 1 second.

I do not own this device but had a question for people who own one. Is the chime volume (saw that in the config image) adjustable in dB? I know the device natively has three levels (90, 100, 110 dB), but wondering if "Low" means 90 dB. I think that is pretty loud for a door chime? And text to speech works?
I am contemplating using this over waiting on Alexa integration - primarily for announcements of door openings (entry and garage) or other events.

Yes, I believe low is 90, but it's not too loud as a door chime.

This device does NOT support text to speech, it can only play the 10 built-in sounds that it comes with. The driver supports the speech synthesis capability which allows you to use the speak command in any App to specify the sound # to play.

1 Like

I'm having the same issue with mine. Really wish I could figure out how to solve it. Otherwise I love being able to play different sounds for different events. I have one sound for driveway motion, another for motion at my front door, and yet another for any time a door opens.

I thought it was the only person. I have a chime setup for my doors but on my back doors it would chime multiple times. It was driving me nuts.

I saw this post and looked into everything happening when I open the door. The door sensor commands, motion reports, commands to turn on all of the lights outside. This must have been overloading the network. I delayed some of the lights by a second when it is triggered and I haven't gotten double chimes since. I'm hoping it was this simple.

Still having luck with this fix? Can at least one light come on without a delay? I'm finally looking for a siren with multiple sounds, but this is kind of off-putting

Nope. I've given up with using the Dome as a chime. No matter what I do it just ends up giving me double chimes. Yesterday it gave me 5 chimes in a row when one door opened. There wasn't even any other triggers other than the door opening. Just too frustrating. I'm waiting now for a gen6 chime to get released.

I have a VERY similar Neo Siren/Strobe that does the same thing.
Bloody annoying.

Does it function properly as a siren at least ?

Oh ya. As a siren I can’t complain. Especially at 1;30am when you accidentally press the wrong button.

Wow -- that is why I got this device -- for the door chimes. I have yet to set it up, but sad to hear this. Do you use RM to set up the contacts or is this done in HSM? I will report back if I get the repeated chime results.

I am not sure why there are so many people having trouble with these sirens. I have 2 of them and I have never had it do a chime more than once if that is what you have chosen in the preferences. The driver is very easy to set up for each device and then all you have to do, in my case, is give it an On and Off.

I get repeated chimes on some doors (ie, some contact sensors) but not from others. When I look at the logs, some of the sensors report themselves opened twice, which triggers my rule to chime twice, which makes the Dome chime twice. Sometimes they report open 3 or more times... so I'm not sure it's necessarily a Dome issue as much as either a contact sensor feature (reports multiple times to make sure hub hears it???) or a Hubitat issue? I wonder if you could prevent the repeated chimes with some sort of delay in the rule, so that it only chimes for the first instance of "door opened" instead of every instance?

I should probably add that I have 4 different types of contact sensors, 2 zigbee types, 2 zwave types... One of the zwave ones does it every single time the door is open - so I just set the chime to be the one that that beeps once for one door or beeps twice for the other, and so I get 2 beeps or 4 beeps to identify those doors. Works.

I saw that as well with my contacts. I can even duplicate it just by sliding the contact to generate multiple open close commands. I modified my drivers for my contact sensors and wrote a custom app to filter out repeat commands and send only 1 and put in extra logging.

In the end I could verify that the dome siren was only getting one command to chime and it would still chime up to 5 times.

Some have pointed out that it could be related to how busy the mesh network is. If it works for you then great. But it got super annoying for me and it wasn't worth all the extra work to troubleshoot it.

I now have a my fire table with fully setup as my door chime and play custom mp3's through it. Works perfectly.

I just finished playing with this device and I see that the Alarm Duration Time is overriding the Chime Repeat setting. You should be able to choose No Selection for the Alarm Sound and Beep Sound should be labeled Chime Sound. The driver is not correct for the parameters it has in the manual. Perhaps HE can look into this driver and correct it.
When you select No Selection in the siren part and Save Preferences it just goes back to the defaults. It should not do that.

Interesting that even with driver modifications (way beyond my newbie level) that it still chimes extra. Custom mp3s for door chimes would be fun... Maybe eventually I'll go beyond the surface of what Hubitat can do off the shelf...

Here is an example of what is in HS. It shows the parameters and how they are set up. This can be done also in the HE driver the same way. I assume.
P1 is the Primary (siren) volume level
P2 is the Primary (siren) on time duration
P3 is to how many times you want it to play the Secondary (chime) sound
P4 is for the Secondary (chime) volume level
P5 is which Primary (siren) sound you want to hear
P6 is which Secondary (chime) sound you want to hear
P7 is which one you want to hear, the Primary or Secondary sound, when it is given the On Command

Here is a pic. I hope I am not offending anyone by showing this pic.

1 Like

Interesting. There is a dome siren driver for HE that I was playing with. It allowed me to look at this stuff. I just eventually got fed up with it and moved on. I still have it set as a siren though.

The strange part is that if P3 was set to something greater than 1 I would figure it would happen all the time. In my case it would only happen randomly through the day, and only on my back doors. For some reason it never happened on my garage door.

If I ever jump back into it, I'll come back to this post to look at.

I also wanted to add that in the Parameters there are these settings to use. 1 byte.
(P1) vol low =1, vol med=2, vol high=3 (Primary)
(P2) 30 sec=1, 1 min=2, 5 min=3
(P3) 1~14
(P4) vol low=1, vol med=2, vol high=3 (Secondary)
(P5) 8~12 are the sirens
(P6) 1~7 are the chimes
(P7) 1=siren, 2=chime

There's nothing wrong with the driver...

The device has the ability to either play the chime or siren when activated as a switch which is why there are separate config params for default chime and default siren and there's also a config param that allows you to choose which is primary, but those features are only necessary for platforms that can't handle that logic.

The Hubitat driver keeps siren as primary and uses indicator set to play the chime sounds which is why the option for which is primary and the default chime sound settings aren't shown.

The Beep Sound setting is the sound that gets played when you use the beep command of the Tone capability.

"No Selection" in a Hubitat setting field means that nothing is selected and it uses the default value. This is how every drop down setting field works in every driver...

The repeat problem is caused by the device taking longer than normal to acknowledge the first z-wave command sent to it after a period of inactivity. When the hub doesn't receive a response it resends the command multiple times and the device should only execute the command it finally acknowledges, but it sometimes ends up executing more than one which is why it sometimes plays multiple times.

This is a known issue that Dome has confirmed and at some point they're supposed to be releasing a new version that fixes it.

3 Likes