Controlling chime selection and volume from HomeKit

I just bought a EufyCam 2. I'd like to set off some Aeotec (Siren 6) chimes when motion is detected.

The EufyCam 2 has 2 cameras and its HomeBase 2. It only officially supports Apple HomeKit. In the Home app so far I have

• HomeKit Hub: iPad
  • Bridges:
    • Eufy HomeBase 2 with two accessories listed as motion sensors
    • HOOBS // temporarily running on my Mac
  • The two cameras

I think I need to connect HomeKit to HOOBS to Hubitat Elevation to the Aeotec chime. I have not yet purchased anything related to a HOOBS/Hubitat/Aeotec solution yet as I want to be sure I would be successful before making the investment.

My hope is that I can connect the triggering of the motion sensor to the chime via the HOOBS bridge and a Hubitat plugin. I do suspect that the chime accessory can successfully be triggered, but I don't know if the siren's chime selection and volume control capabilities will reflect back through the HOOBS bridge into HomeKit so they can be configured. Is this possible? Are any other issues I will need to solve?

I spent a good deal doing something similar. Mainly opening and closing doors.

I kept having issues with double/triple chimes.

My most success to date has been using Alexa to play the bells chime.

Possibly, if I revisited this it may actually work now. When I was doing my testing, the drivers didn’t take into account double events, which do now.

Anyway, long and short of it. It’s all compatible. Will it double chime, maybe.

Which chime did you use? I've read that there's a bug in the Dome chime (and maybe what looks like the equivalent Neo chime) that causes multiple chimes because sometimes the chime fails to reply that the command has been accepted and the driver sends a subsequent request. It was suggested that the Aeotec does not have this problem.

Found where I read that: Dome Siren - Different Sounds for Different Events

Just to confirm, did you control the chime selection/volume from HomeKit?

Aeotec 6.

My contact sensors sent double events. The latest drivers don’t cause this.

I have ecolink contact sensors.

No. Through Hubitat.

You would just expose virtual switches between Hubitat and homekit. You will need to create automation on homekit so it works together.

Virtual on - turn on device
Virtual off - turn off device
Device on - turn on virtual
Device off - turn off virtual

So I do something like this?

• set up the virtual switch in Hubitat and configure its volume/chime
  • set up a HomeKit device (also a virtual device, only existing to fire into Hubitat)
  • connect the HomeKit camera motion sensor to the HomeKit device to the Hubitat virtual switch
  • when the motion sensor triggers the virtual switch is activated

Yep same here.

The only difference he will need to do is to create a rule when that virtual switch turns on to send a chime sound to the aeotec.

This should work. I just can’t guarantee if double chimes will be a problem. He will just have to test, I guess...

Thank you. I ordered a HE and an Aeotec Siren 6. Hopefully will have some good news to report some time next week.

Also please think about the “signal” between hub and siren.
Is it going through walls, or floors or more than 10m ?
If so then you should contemplate Z-wave repeaters to ensure the devices connect, well.

There are also some good doc’s about “building your mesh” that should be read.
Cheers