DIY- Battery Backup Hubitat- under TEN bucks-NO soldering

Wow. The range of stuff you "dabble" in is pretty impressive. I will not offer any constructive feedback (since I have no knowledge of anything related to PCB/circuit design) but you need to spin up another project to create branding and an official logo. :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks, that was an interesting article...as I mentioned earlier the ground where I live would definitely have been very costly/difficult to dig basements in, and since no one else in the entire area (entire countly, likely) had basements there would have been no reason for builders to bother to try to include them.

Oh well...we have earthquakes and drought so why should I complain about not having a basement? :wink:

1 Like

I just get Bored easily and need to be doing something constructive. :crazy_face:

Anyway, I finished the basic design and PCB layout (not routed yet) and I'll send it to @JohnRob (a real EE) to fix my screwups and add a zigbee module. :rofl:

and it'll possibly look something like this (inc Zigbee module):

1 Like

That looks pretty cool. However even I can tell that huge PCB is no way going to fit in that battery enclosure.

Geez what an oversight!

:wink:

Thanks to you and @JohnRob!

1 Like

He-he, The case will be bigger than the Hub - so I'll design the case so that the hub is held on top.

1 Like

I really like the existing case, so I'm just going to cut the new PCB in half. Easy -peasy. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:rofl: The new case with have LED light pipes coming out the front of it - should look sick!

A bit like this (except 3 of them):

1 Like

Is that an IDE connector?

2 Likes

Close, it’s SCSI.

1 Like

Only 28 pins off. I tossed (eWasted) all my old cards, cables, etc.

1 Like

There are placement changes to make it smaller, however the Zigbee module is still a large part and the antenna section must not have anything top or bottom.

I'm of the mind to suggest eliminating the Zigbee for the UPS. The router/repeater function you get when it is in a different room will be useless here as the UPS will be within inches of the hub.

What I would like to implement is a circuit that will
sense the Hub is powered down (just the red led).
Remove power from the hub until mains power is back. This would allow the hub to be self starting.

4 Likes

We should start a new thread for the possible v2.

Not sure the main subject should be.

2 Likes

What about a USB fan to cool the hub?

I’ve still got a stack of SCSI parts for PC and my old Mac’s. I knew they’d be worth having one day. :nerd_face:

1 Like

That’s a good idea, this ups is costly enough.

Agreed, I’ll start one.

2 Likes

It really doesn’t need it.

2 Likes

New thread is live:

3 Likes

First round of design goals is here:

2 Likes

Could you consider light pipes into a top edge of the case so the status can be viewed from both the top or the side ??

Maybe little 2mm rectangular slots, up the side and 2mm across the top :blush:

Whoops shoulda jumped to the new thread

1 Like

Hmmm. Have an ,mains/battery output for the power attribute?

1 Like