DIY- Battery Backup Hubitat- under TEN bucks-NO soldering

Yep basement. On the other side of the one wall is the server room/work room that needs finishing. The rest of the basement will be a rumpus room for the kids or party overflow.

1 Like

SO much...I grew up w/them in Virginia, and could not believe it when we moved to CA and there were no basements, downstairs "rumpus rooms," ect. So sad... :frowning:

3 Likes

Monsters Inc Hug GIF

2 Likes

I'll have rgbw strips in an wooden L channel painted to match the wall going around the ceiling line. Power receptacles will be hidden in the channel. They can be turned on by wall mounted pico (note the double gang box next to the door) or by control panel.

4 Likes

They just don’t exist here in Australia either, I guess it just doesn’t get cold enough to need to put water heaters etc inside the house away from the elements.

1 Like

Very rare here in California too. I guess too many fears for Earthquakes? I also wish I had one.

2 Likes

That's always been my guess as well. Though, at least in my area it could be the DG (decomposed granite) that makes up much of our "soil." Even digging down four or five feet for some drainage work in our back yard, a huge backhoe was having difficulty making any progress. Can't imagine what it would have been like 10-15' down...

1 Like

UPS arrived this morning. When the postman rang my door I couldn't believe it was your parcel. Only 8 days from Autralia to Italy! Wow!
The bad news? € 30 for custom duties.
Batteries have arrived yesterday, so I'm ready for testing in the weekend

3 Likes

Wow, I’m shocked! Impressive!

Ah sorry man, so even marking it as a gift and prototype PCB wasn’t enough to escape the tax man? :cry:

Apparently that's a myth. I mean look at LA... Most buildings have a sub level (and multiple sublevels)

1 Like

Good luck on your surgery :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I offered to do it free for him. I mean I have a bowie knife and a bite stick.... I have some industrial thread too.... I could save him thousands.

2 Likes

Do you make house calls?

Hey, someone pays the airfaire.... Just sayin...

1 Like

Thanks mate, if @rlithgow1 is doing it, I might be out of action for longer than last time! :rofl:

3 Likes

I started on the re-design yesterday (it's not finished yet) - this version will support proper USB-C chargers as it has the sense resistors included.

And no laughing at my KiCad design practices, I'm not an EE, just a hobbyist who knows enough to be dangerous (usually to himself). :sunglasses:

4 Likes

No Jack Daniel for the pain? :grinning:

1 Like

Nice work Rick. I see you're a man after my own heart. Drywall, plumbing, electrical, framing. Then I tell my wife, "We saved $850.00 by not calling an electrician/plumber/etc., I'm putting half of that towards my tool collection"
and the collection grows.

PS- the worst part, as you know, is the sanding. I'll usually wetsand first but for the final finish, the cyclone dust stoppers work well. They do decrease suction but the mess is about 70% less. You can even print your own

https://www.amazon.com/Dustopper-High-Efficiency-Dust-Separator/dp/B0799QBX26/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=bucket+dust+collector&qid=1675372858&sr=8-19&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.d977788f-1483-4f76-90a3-786e4cdc8f10

3 Likes

Yep. I did that off a design from Thingiverse. Works very well!

2 Likes

The caveat with the Dustopper is that it needs the larger hose for high airflow to work efficiently. I was using it with the smaller hose that attached to my sander, and it was not doing very much. The designer let me know that it needed the larger hose to operate properly. Once I stopped using the small hose, it worked great. I really like it when I use it with my router.

1 Like