DIY- Battery Backup Hubitat- under TEN bucks-NO soldering

So after 14.5 ours it gave up. Nice endurance

3 Likes

Geez... What an epic history. It's like the Iliad and the Odyssey of deliveries.

2 Likes

I'm on board (no pun intended) for an order of 3. If this helps in your decision to make more.

1 Like

I've put in an order for 32 for @rlithgow1 - I'm thinking that would give @dJOS enough of a reason to do v2, and Rick could give them to his wife for Valentine's day. :wink:

3 Likes

Where did you get the wall mount for the hub? I like it.

Printed it on my Sovol SV05 3D printer - it's a design by @snell - can be found here on Thingaverse, along w/his desk mount design.

Works great.

3 Likes

Thingverse has two designs to 3D print. I tried both designs on there and that four tabbed one is better. The other, IIRC, has a crisscross design for the base, which I thought would have less airflow underneath.

EDIT: yeah, that one that @danabw just linked to. I ended up tossing the other printed one. The tabs can be a little flimsy though. Or at least for mine it was. I needed to super glue one back on after it broke off.

1 Like

That's one reason I like the one I'm using...uses a minimum of material to keep the hub free from obstruction, hopefully helping airflow.

I haven't had any issues w/mine breaking - I printed one for each hub (PLA), and both snapped on fine and have not caused me any issues.

I really need to get a 3D printer. What do you recommend as a decent entry level that is easy enough for a beginner, and won't get me divorced when it shows up on my doorstep?

Woohoo!

2 Likes

I think you're describing the Sovol SV05...I recently went through the same question and @dJOS (3D printer Jedi) pointed me at the SV05 and it has been just great.

$269 (sale from $299 on Sovol site), and also available for $289 on Amazon right now.

Really well designed, comes w/several upgrades that are very helpful including auto bed leveling, and I really like mine.

3 Likes

Uh oh...looks like you only got part of the UPS. @dJOS - Amazon fulfillment issue? :wink:

Glad you're up and running, @rlithgow1 - safety first!

2 Likes

Haha, batteries will be here in a few days. Pardon the dirty hands, been drywall mudding all day.

2 Likes

Ewww...the dirtiest part, but the most impressive change during construction when it's complete. My wife flipped on our first remodel when the drywall guys came through the house. First reaction: It's a complete mess!! Later reaction: Ohhh...it looks soooo cool now. :smiley:

2 Likes

I've been framing and drywalling since I got out of the hospital for the back surgery.

From a couple of days ago. Finally all taped and 1st coat finished. (not shown in these pics)

The gym

3 Likes

Cheers, @JohnRob has kindly offered to contribute his general EE experience and Zigbee expertise to the next version.

I’m intending to do the basic design in the next week or so. But any builds will need to wait for me to recover from my next round of hand surgery (13th).

That said, I’ll publish the entire design on GitHub and it’ll be fully open source for anyone to make themselves, if they like.

4 Likes

Stunning - can't believe you can do the ceiling all by yourself. I'd have multiple injuries and an unintentionally cantilevered celing. :wink:

Looks really good. Have fun cleaning up!! :scream: :rofl:

1 Like

I have three cans of play dough at the ready, waiting for your new design. :wink:

1 Like

The ceiling is only 7 foot in the basement and I'm 6'1 with long arms so easy but my rotator cuff doesn't like it.

1 Like

@rlithgow1 Is that your basement? I wish I had a basement, then I could turn the whole thing into a study / workshop.

1 Like