DIY- Battery Backup Hubitat- under TEN bucks-NO soldering

Mine are button tops.

I did that when I first installed them as the spring terminals weren't making good contact at first. They are now very snug. I'll take another look at it and see if there's any doubt about contact.

Still there for me...maybe a region issue on your end...digikey is blocking due to not shipping to your area, or ?

Thanks. I tested output on both units, they each gave the same output (unit 1 - 4.99v, unit 2 - 3.3 to 3.5v) w/either set of batteries. So the fault doesn't appear to be in the batteries. That a reasonable conclusion, or ? (I'm a complete idjit when it comes to amps, volts, electrons, etc.) :slight_smile: Seems like ordering new batteries would not make a difference for me.

I actually only need one unit as one of mine is already on a UPS, I'm looking at getting another hub so was preparing a bit, but only have a need for one UPS at the moment. So no impact on me at this point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one?

2 Likes

That should do the trick. Looks like their higher capacity LFP cells are sold out.

I think that is a reasonable conclusion to make. :cry:

Anyhoo, let's continue this via PM - I'll get you sorted one way or another.

Yes. They seem to be good with the little I was able to test them. Both batteries look identical (good thing) and the terminal voltage was exactly the same (to the milivolt).

We'll see.

2 Likes

@dJOS

USPS delivered both of mine today. The battery holder is definitely not friendly to batteries that don't have much of a button top. The Zues batteries from digikey must be considered flat top as + side is pretty flush with the top of the cell. I had zero contact with the batteries. I got out a piece of 14awg wire and gently pulled out each tab as @danabw mentioned. Now they are very snug and making good contact. Both are charging now. One with a old insignia 5v3amp USB C charger and one with an old Samsung 2.1 amp charter. So just FYI if you got the batteries from DigiKey be ready to pull the tabs gently to get them to make good contact.

1 Like

Whenever more are available, I would like to get two of them--one for each Hubitat hub. I could print the case if the .stx file or files were available.

1 Like

That's likely because the batteries I used for testing are the largest 18650 cell type. But this wont hurt them at all.

I published the design here:

https://www.printables.com/model/375503-usb-c-ups-case

I need to re-engineer the board before I decide to make more - the current version is a PITA to make + the next version will be in the same footprint as the C7 as per suggestions made in this thread.

I cant provide a timeline as yet - I'm having hand surgery on the 13th of Feb to fix my other hand, and Im hoping the recovery wont be 4 months this time.

4 Likes

So I've finished testing these batteries. They are both performing well. I did a drain test and got above the specified 1500mAh on discharge. Due to the "lithium bounce" when testing these cells, I set the cutoff voltage at 2.5 volts, and when the tester was done and reported an output of 1550mAh+ and stopped, the battery upon removal and inserting into a charger registered 3.1volts, due to the bounce(or whatever the technical term is). The charger indicated that 1600mAh was required to charge the LiPO4 to full (3.6volts). the internal resistance, as accurately measured using the 1kHz pulse method was 19milliohm, indicating a good cell.
Now if that dang kangaroo would hop over and deliver my UPS :grinning:

4 Likes

Good to know, I think Dana’s faulty Unit somehow managed to fall after testing. :weary:

I’m working with him to get it fixed.

3 Likes

Did you figure out how long it should last on this UPS. I am at 11.5 hours and it is still running strong with 2 1500 mamph batteries

3 Likes

It depends on how hard the hub is working, but 6 Hours is the minimum on 2x 1500mAh cells IME.

2 Likes

Good to hear, thanks for doing/reporting all the testing.

I'm still suspicious, given my long experience with me, that I did something stoopid at some point to mess things up. Maybe the underwater testing I did? :slight_smile:

:rofl:

Even big OEM's experience unexplained failures from QA'd products, it happens.

2 Likes

Probably happened on the long plane ride. :wink:
zap

2 Likes

But the good one is up and running!

Excuse the clunky connections, I have a complicated setup due to Wi-Fi plug between UPS and hub, to manage shutdown\restart of the hub if I need to.

5 Likes

Just hope he's not using this Australian for the delivery service...

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like

Finally

Holy hell, the tracking history

1st in Australia

Then US

4 Likes