DIY- Battery Backup Hubitat- under TEN bucks-NO soldering

We are thinking about it, we may go for a simpler solution as simple = lower cost,

So this is turned out to be a really nice unit. The casing itself is super solid. Orientation can be up or down and it doesn't have that big block look about it. I ran tests on it for a couple of days and the output is consistent. Packaging was amazing. Normally you get crap packaging with stuff like this but this was over 1/8th" thick cardboard box. Heavy. Will really dense packing foam. Available on amazon.

2 Likes

Did everyone get their USB UPS’s?

My tracking shows at least half have been delivered, but sometimes it’s inaccurate.

Mine got delivered and they are in use.

1 Like

Mine hasn't arrived yet.

No worries, my tracking says it’s still in transit.

1 Like

You replaced it with a tasmanian devil didn't you?

2 Likes

I've got mine, thanks.

1 Like

1 Like

yep, got mine. thanks!

1 Like

I'd be interested in one.

1 Like

Derek - would the current units support a rpi3B?

Possibly, although they are kinda fussy if they don’t get 3 amps IME.

1 Like

The official raspberry pie power adapter is a able to put out 5v3amp. I think the limit of this solution is 5v2.4 amps. So it is possible it would struggle to provide the power needed for the raspberry pi. That said, that is to be able to support connected devices like keyboards, mice and usb drive. So depending on what you have connected it should be fine. For a period of time i actually tested plugging the USB cable for the HE into the USB on a raspberry pi and that worked fine for a few months while I was dabbling with it.

2 Likes

I ran a pi3 off a 2.4A supply once quite a long time ago. With the desktop installed the lightning icon was always on, indicating the pi didn't like not getting 3A. It still ran fine but there would not be any guarantee it would not glitch out.

1 Like

Thanks...this one is running Octoprint on my 3D printer, and I actually started getting undervolt warnings using the power supply that came w/it (labeled RPI and everything). I switched to an alternate 5v/3A supply and it's been fine since, so seems like the original power supply was starting to fade or something. They can be demanding little beasties. :wink:

when i looked up the icon it is supposed to mean under-volt, and not really about the amps perse, Alot of charges have a variance around 5 volts. It looks like if it drops much below 5 volts the pi may be screaming and being picky. I wonder how it would run if you can find a charter that runs at 5.1 volt and 3 amps..

While this is technically true, I hooked one up to my bench supply and set the voltage to 5.1v and current to 3 amps. Despite getting a solid 5.1v, it started complaining when I turned the current down to 2.7 amps.

2 Likes

received mine, thanks.

1 Like

I did a little testing before deploying mine. I was surprised the amount of voltage drop in the wires.

1 Like