Dimmer Zwave Association Group Issue with Sync

I have an Inovelli Red Series 2-1 Switch (VZW31-SN) that is setup for direct associate with the Zooz ZEN54 10V dimmer, using groups 2–4.
Both devices are associated with each other. So the ZEN54 has the Inovelli id configured for Groups 2–4, and the Inovelli has the ZEN54 zwave node id configured for Groups 2–4.
Everything works fine, except physical dimming from the Inovelli.
Whenever the UP or DOWN paddles are held (when the lights are already ON) the status LED indicates that the dimming is in progress, however the lights don't react, and once the paddle is released the status updates back to what the ZEN54 was initially reporting.

See demo: DimmingSyncIssueZwave.MOV - Google Drive

So simply tapping UP or DOWN does work to turn the ZEN54 ON or OFF. Also, when the ZEN54 is dimmed from Hub, the status led on the Inovelli does update to the set brightness. Only the changing brightness with the Inovelli does not seem to sync back to the ZEN54.

For the ZEN54 I am using @jtp10181 's driver (v. 1.1.4):

For the Inovelli, the driver provided here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/Hubitat/master/Drivers/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-vzw31-sn.src/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-vzw31-sn.groovy

Any suggestions?

Can you give me a link to the manual on the Inovelli device that has the details about the association groups. I will try to look into it later. The groups are not standardized so having both setup with groups 2-4 may not be correct.

Do you have sort of physical switch attached to the ZEN54?

They (groups 2–4) do seem to be the same:

First make sure both devices have the same security level (check z-wave details page). Associations only work correctly with like security groups.

Ok, on the Inovelli dimmer, you should only need to set the ZEN54 for groups 3 and 4. Group 4 is the one that will activate the press and hold dimming. Group 3 should send a setLevel when you release the button to make sure it stays perfectly in sync. You could test with just one of those groups at a time to see if either is working on their own. The ZEN54 should take the group 4 command it says it is sending, I have that same command implemented in the driver. (The drivers are actually irrelevant for associations because the commands are direct device to device)

On the ZEN54 you should only need to set group 3 to the Inovelli dimmer, the others would not be needed. What are your dimming speed and ramp rates set to? I am not sure exactly which one it will be using by default if a duration is not sent with the association command from the other dimmer. In the driver I am using the dimming speed setting as a default so I never actually send the command to the device with no duration. I could hook up my test device and see what it does when I send it the command with no duration set.

1 Like

Thank you. This (setting only specific group numbers) did resolve the problem for the most part.
The only issue is that when the dim up or down commands are sent to the ZEN54, it seems to trigger the ZEN54 to ramp on or off, not specifically to just dim.
So if you release the dim down paddle at about 50%, and the ZEN54 is at 30% at that point, the ZEN54 will slightly compensate to catch the released dim level from the Inovelli (brighten up to 50%).
If the dim rate of the Inovelli matches the ramp rate of the ZEN54, it works ok for the most part.
However, if I release the dim down paddle at about 20% and the ZEN54 already reaches 0/off by that time, the ZEN54 will not react to bring the light back up to 20%. It will just say off until the Inovelli is turned off as well manually. Strange behavior... I wonder if this is a firmware issue.

That is normal, if you do a level change down command to any dimmer it will keep dimming down until it hits 0. When you send stop change it will stop where ever it is.

Sounds like the issue is that the rate at which the ZEN54 is dimming is slightly different than the Inovelli switch. Not sure why when it dims down to 0 it does not take the final set level command to bring it back to 20%, that is odd. Possibly a timing issue if the commands both come in very quick together.

If you get rid of the Group 4 on the Inovelli side it would fix this but you would not have the visual dimming anymore. You could dim on the paddle and I assume see the level on the status bar. Then when you let go it would send a single level command to the zen54.

Also instead of that, if you have FW 1.21 or higher on the ZEN54 you should have 4 ramp rate settings using my driver, you could try setting the Z-Wave ones higher so the dimming is slightly slower. This should prevent it from going all the way of before you let go of the button.

The Inovelli dimmer actually goes down to 1% while holding down the DOWN paddle, not 0. Which makes sense, otherwise it would be very difficult to reach minimum brightness without turning off the light.

The rates are all the same, including ramp and dim. The issue I think has more to do with communication latency and the level reflected on the Inovelli LED bar.

I just tested a ZEN27 and yes the Zooz do the same when using the paddle. But when you do a startLevelChange(down) command they will keep going until they are off, at least for Zooz devices. I checked the z-wave spec and it does not say anything regarding where it should stop :person_shrugging: .

It does seem like it would make more sense to stop at the min brightness and not go to 0. If you wanted to fade to off you can just do a setLevel 0 with a fade duration.