Did you order?

Do you still need a USB for z-wave? I thought Hubitat included z-wave into the box now.

I’m thinking about moving from my Homey Pro to Hubitat. Anything we here in Sweden have to think about in regards of compatibility?
I will add my Hue lights directly because I want just one ZigBee mesh network and I want as few devices, as in hubs, as possible. When I moved from HA to Homey, that was one of the reasons.
Homey works ok but sometimes some devices doesn't go on or off, and also it is a bit slow. But main reason to go to Hubitat is that you can make more advanced flows (automations) and better compatibility. I cant control my GoGoGate with Homey for example.

So, do you guys think I will be happy with Hubitat? :slight_smile:

Yes, for EU you need this still. For the US model its onboard, and not needed, but thats the wrong model for EU.

As for other compatibiliy stuff to think about in Sweden, is what fits in the wall and have the right frequency bands for the EU model.

Regarding speed, I have not read about anything faster and stable as the hubitat yet. As an example, it takes two seconds from opening the door until you have a notification on you cellphone. Crazy fast. Updates from motion sensors is like instant and controlling lights is the same. I love it, as for my input!

Kind regards
RogerThat
Oslo, Norway

Ok, not a dealbreaker but I think they should have updated all models with integrated Z-wave.

I think I will go ahead a order a Hubitat. It’s not that expansive and I want something new to get my hands on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

GREAT! I do not think you will regret it! Welcome onboard!!!

By the way, if it might help others, here are the items I have ordered from Alix.

Only the Xiami button, CUBE, LED strip and the extra remote for the GLEDOPTO bulbs are not tested yet(Very nice unit, and can be used togeather as a wall controller for group of lights/bulbs too). But I am confident it all will work great (due to reading posts here)

Next is to find some good wall pluggs for EU, to a sane price. I also need a Zigbee repeater soon, and here is the idea that the wall plug can help me with that. That or the IKEA repeater that is known to be good also for locks. :slight_smile:
RogerThat

1 Like

Just placed the order. Let the waiting game begin. :smiley:

I have only ordered once from Ali and then the import fees here in Sweden almost made the things I bought more expensive. How is it in Norway?

1 Like

Well, as of this year, we also have to pay VAT+handling fee on everything from China too, so I did order a bit before it hits us too. Good times are soon over, so mad I did not order more GLEDOPTO in first order. Grr... :thinking:

Totally agree, @Carl!

What do you use for powerplugg controll, any good advice for a working one for a nice price?

RogerThat

Do you meen the Trådfri plugs also works as a repeater too? If so good news. :+1:

The Gledopto lamps repeat nicely with Xiaomi products based on my experience....

1 Like

Hi @RogerThat,

I finally bought the HE, hope I can have it soon here in Spain.

As a newbie, I am starting from the ground. I only have some echo speakers around the house but no sensors whatsoever.

To start I am planning on buying "cheap" sensors like the xiaomi/aqara ones and link them with the HE. I've read many comments saying that it is difficult to get them to work well without the xiaomi hub.
If I want to use them ( with no special hub), should I stay with xiaomi/aqara products for the sensors and Ikea smart plugs as repeaters?
May I connect then any zigbee light bulb/led strip I want?

As I am new to this world I don't want to complicate myself straight from the beginning. :sweat_smile:

Thank you in advante.

1 Like

The Trådfri plugs kept my Sylvania mesh happy for a long time. It wasn't until I added about 15 Iris motion sensors that I got bit by the bulb bug. Last night I moved about 30 devices over to a new hub and my now non-Sylvania mesh started responding again.

Now I have to figure out where to put all those Trådfri plugs. I put three on the lighting mesh and I need to find all the old ones on the original mesh and redeploy. The two Zigbee meshes don't overlap 100% so I'm sure there are unneeded or duplicated ones on the old setup.

1 Like

In preparation for the arrival of my HE I took out, and dusted off, my Hue Bridge and moved all lights from my Homey to the Bridge. I notice a much quicker response from my Homey now controlling the lights.
For the other ZigBee devices, now that the big mesh was broken, I needed a repeater so I went to IKEA and got a Trådfri Switch. Everything is working great with my Homey now, much better than before .

I have other things that isn’t supported by Homey so I looking forward to get my hands on the HE. Right now it is in UPSP Regional Facility in Los Angeles...

1 Like

Hi @Angel,

I was not quick enough to see your comment.
It seems it has been erased.

Xavier.

Thanks Carl!
The return to work has been intense and I hadn't much time to look at the forum. I've also been struggling with the integration of my Danalock V3 ... until I realized that my version of Danalock was Zigbee and not Zwave :joy::joy::joy:
Anyway, I´ve talked with @xbarbera and offered him my own experience to start in this world.

BR
Angel
Barcelona, España

2 Likes

Hi @xbarbera!

It seems to me that the Xiami stuff works great if you have a good zigbe mesh. The struggle some have had, seems to be solved when adding repeaters. So yes, I do not se why you cannot stay with Xiaomi/Aqara. Many have success, including me. :slight_smile:
Here is a good (loooong) thread on how to get them to stay connected: Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected - #667 by BrunoVoeten
The general trick here, in short, is to have a good zigbee mesh, and keep them awake during connection prosess(1. Long press til you see three light blinks. 2 keep tapping connection button every 2-3 seconds until HE finds them)

You can connect any zigbee bulb/strip controller you like, many work with the Generic RGBW driver. But search the forum before ordering to maybe avoid blindshots. I would look at the latest GLEDOPTO series for strips and controllers, if I where you. For Zigbee bulbs, its a bit more tricky. Hue is well known, but GLEDOPTO also works with HUE for a better price. Not so bright, but hey,, good enough, in my opinion. Works great with direct hookup to HE with the Generic RGBW driver. Also the LED strip controller have now the drivers available.

I would also, and started myselves, to look at Yeelights. They are WiFi, but also works locally with HE. Good post about them here: Yeelights - #49 by vjv

I will try some IKEA bulbs going forward, but since we also have a HUE hub in the house, I might mix it up a little. Also so far, GLEDOPTO have been rock solid steady.

This Xiaomi rounded door sensor is very tiny and works great on doors like main door and refrigerator for warnings/alarms. Hihi

PS: I just ordered 5 pcs. IKEA TRÅDFRI Adapter/Outlets to build my mesh. They have an offer that runs out 12.01.2020, at a very good price. NOK 150/€15 which is much cheaper that CoolCam plugs. Not that pretty, but will put them hidden. They repeat and will help to get a good mesh. At the same time, I will use them for a few Oil filled floor heating ovens, controlled by the HE and very tiny Xiamoi temp/humid sensor I already have in every room now. House heating is the biggest one to save money, and now I can lower and control it all to save the cost of it all. Even if Norway have the cheapest electricity in the world, money is to be saved on heat. We freeze for at least 8 months a year in Norway, so heating is a big one... :joy:

RogerThat

2 Likes

Hi @lairdnox!

Yeah, Hubitat Elevation supports up to 32 Zigbee end devices , in other words, devices paired directly to the hub, without a repeater in place. However, there is no limit to the number (65K) of Zigbee devices that may be added when signal repeaters are used. So repeaters will solve this for you. Another hub is not needed to solve this problem, but hey, why not. HE is great, so a spare cannot hurt, not that I read that they die on you, yet. :slight_smile:
RogerThat

1 Like

Hi, @Angel!
I bet that helped a bit. :joy::joy::joy:
How is the lock working out for you?
Anything you can share regarding experience so far?
I also have ended up to look for a good deal on the Scandinavian Zigbee model, but not ordered one yet.
RogerThat

Hi @RogerThat,

It works fine at the moment. I set up a rule "Going Sleep" that lock the Danalock, close the lights and, in the near future, will down the roller shutters. The only problem (maybe because the kind of my deadbolt) is this:
I have set up the Danalock with automatic latch retract during 5 sec, because I haven't a door handle at the front part of the door, and I need to push when I arrive home. So, if I disarm the "Going Sleep" rule in the morning (maybe from the bed or with a timer) there is a risk the door opened. Maybe I must put a metal spring to prevent this...:thinking::thinking::thinking:
The other thing is that I haven't a Danapad (I open the lock with my phone app), so I think the code options in the "Generic Zigbee Lock Driver" is unusable for me.
Hope this helps.
BR
Angel

1 Like

I had multiple repeaters. The problem is when one of the bulbs acts as a repeater and it gets more traffic than it can handle. You can’t pick the path a device uses and eventually one of the bulbs will drop. Moving the offending bulbs to their own mesh greatly reduces the chatter on the mesh.

It wasn’t an issue of device count it was just the poor design of the bulbs.

1 Like