Yeelights

White, v2 I believe

It's built in, nothing were doing...

Just ordered a HE hub to start playing with some smart lighting. Planning a mix or smart bulbs and buttons, and some smart dimmer switches for some fixtures.

Owning no smart bulbs yet and cost per bulb is a factor, making me wonder the pro and cons of Yeelights with native HE app LAN control vs other Zigbee bulbs direct to HE.

One main question I have not found an answer for reading forum here and googling last few days is,

Do LAN Yeelights connected to HE hub all need to be within range of the hub (ie each directly connected to HE) or do they create their own mesh? If they need direct connection for each bulb, might not be a fit for farthest bedrooms, but if they create their own mesh....

Thank-you to any help wrapping my head around all these smart bulb options :slight_smile:

Yeelight are wifi, they must be at the same local network as your hub to work. About the mesh, if you have wifi in the area where the Yeelight will be installed then no problem. I have a mix of Yeelight (14) and sengled(2), In some point I prefer the Yeelight, because they have a separate app with other features not included in HE with zigbee Sengled bulbs, but Sengled are good bulbs, if you don't have any zigbee repeaters then maybe Sengled bulbs may not work if they are far from the hub, but if you have repeaters then no problem.

Thank-you for the clarification, I had an incorrect assumption on the use of WiFi and your reply made it click.

The light switches I want to swap would be perfect repeater locations, but it seems all the best wall switch options are z-wave, so either get some ZigBee wall plug repeaters or find ZigBee switches.

Yeelight price is attractive and my 2.4Ghz band should be strong enough that end of house, though I'm not a huge fan of loading WiFi with bulbs... That said I guess all the laptops, chromecasts, homes, mobiles etc are on 5Ghz band so might be worth the experiment.

Sorry now I'm just thinking out loud... :thinking:

I have everything connected to a google wifi, they choose 5 or 2.4 Ghz, I can't choose, no problems with 40 wifi devices connected when we are out of home, more if we are at home.

About the switches, z wave are more common, I have z wave switches, zigbee plugs and bulbs, wifi bulbs and a separate zigbee mesh for other devices not fully compatible with HA protocol. No interference here, everything works.

Sometimes Sengled has better price than Yeelight, just search in Amazon. They are good bulbs.

Yeah I missed the great BF Sengled deals, have been watching. Myself being in Canada a little worse price and availability :persevere:

Ohh, I thought you were in US. So yes, Yeelight is a great deal.

Good luck.

1 Like

@mike.maxwell - count me in looking for YeeLight LED Strip support. Any chance we'll see them supported?

1 Like

These are not color temp capable correct?
Also do you have a link to one of these?

Correct - not color temp capable.

Forum won't allow me to post links, so this is the best I can link:

Yeelight Product Page: yeelightDOTcom/en_US/product/pitaya

Amazon (product has been updated to support extra strips, otherwise they're the same): amazonDOTcom/dp/B07FSLJR9B

The Yeelight integration app detects my strip but fails to add it. An earlier post mentioned it might be as simple as a typo (strip is spelled stripe in the code)?

It's not that, well not all of that anyway. Currently we have a driver for color temp and rgbw bulbs, but not rgb...

Got ya. Thanks for the update!

Are we getting closer to a driver for the strip light? Do you still need a link?

1 Like

Nope, I'm good...

My strips are getting discovered, but not showing in the device list.

Right, that's the point, also we don't have an RGB driver, just the rgbw one.

1 Like

The Yeelight app said it found a bulb (bulb1) but when I look at the device list i can't find it. I waited and it happened again. I'm trying to add two bulbs. They show up quickly for mDNS.

Update - I now see image

OK, I figured out I need to choose the bulb in the second screen. The drop-down UI is not obvious -- it should use a standard drop down. But I've figured it out. BUt the null device turned out to be a duplicate

but it's still not finding the two new bulbs.

Did you turn on the LAN control at each bulb in Yeelight app?

Thank-You for posting this. Hubitat just arrived 1 hour ago. Setup Hue integration easy but Yeelights were being stubborn and invisible....

Had missed the need for or existence of LAN integration in Yeelight app, solved :grin:

1 Like